Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
General Email for Kimpton Amsterdam as follows
[email protected]
+31 (0)20 620 0500 (tel)
+31 (0)20 521 1719 (fax)
Print Wikipost

Amsterdam - IC Amstel or Kimpton DeWitt?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
Amsterdam - IC Amstel or Kimpton DeWitt?

Planning first Amsterdam visit and had intended to use points at the Amstel and enjoying its old-world elegance but am now wondering if Kimpton DeWitt would have better access to restaurants (don't want to spend $40 per person for breakfast in hotel) and major tourist spots. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by freebee
Planning first Amsterdam visit and had intended to use points at the Amstel and enjoying its old-world elegance but am now wondering if Kimpton DeWitt would have better access to restaurants (don't want to spend $40 per person for breakfast in hotel) and major tourist spots. Any advice would be appreciated.
fyi
I can also recommend MR Renaissance is just across the road from Kimpton front door (100m or so), and treat MR Golds well (lounge access, and lounge b/f is fine for most guests)

For points I'd usually recommend IC over Kimpton, mostly on IC room size, though with IC Amstel undergoing a noisy 12months external refurb, I can't currently recommend the IC.

Yes the Kimpton is better placed to walk out to cheap restaurants+cafes for coffee+croisant b/f. Most Kimpton rooms are shower only, imo unsatisfactory for a 5* hotel.

Getting around amsterdam is a little easier and quicker from Kimptons Ams C S area, though IC you get trams to Leidseplein and metro to Ams CS
For IC the normal place are cafe opposite on tram bridge and in other direction Icebreaker Bar, with indoors area and tables on canal bank too if warm/sunny day.
flake likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Depends what you consider the tourist spots. Amstel is nearer to the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh. Kimpton is better for Dam Square / Anne Frank House / red light area!

I had a terrible stay at the Kimpton (until they gave me the Penthouse Suite as compensation) and some rooms are very noisy as they directly overlook the road junction. On the other hand some Amstel rooms are currently covered in plastic sheeting!

The two hotels are polar opposites of each other. Also worth noting that the breakfast at Amstel is probably the classiest you will ever eat and, on that basis, worth it for a splurge. The cost also comes down sharply if you pay for the Club Life Experience at the Amstel. Impressive pool as well. In many ways, if you are NOT planning to leave the hotel much then the Amstel is your best bet, but I assume this does not apply to you.

There is a bakery about 45 seconds walk from the Amstel and a brasserie opposite - not sure if it does breakfast though.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:09 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Is there a better treatment for Platinum at either hotel (on award points)?

I'm looking for the last night of my stay before a noon flight out from AMS. I'll likely stay at the Marriott prior to switching, but wonder which is more convenient in terms of location heading towards AMS, as well as quick last minute sightsee or breakfast in the morning.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Location for travel towards AMS, well if you're going by train, definitelly Kimpton, if by taxi, it's a tossup.

For a last minute sightseeing, as in, a quick walk after breakfast, I'd go with Kimpton, if you mean half a day and maybe a canal cruise, it makes for a little difference. I've stayed in the Hyatt Regency down the road from IC Amstel previously, and it was quite alright. As mentioned, a tram towards Leidseplein takes you to Rijksmuseum and canal cruise stops, as well as Heineken Experience is close by if that's your thing.

Regarding breakfast, you'd be able to get it around IC I think as well, but the choice near Kimpton is just massively better.
All things considered, I'd probably go for the Kimpton.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:40 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'm looking for a hotel near the Centraal Station next year and will have Spire + Inner Circle status (if I understand the integration of the two programs correctly). Any thoughts on what I could expect as far as benefits at the De Witt?

Originally Posted by scubaccr
I can also recommend MR Renaissance is just across the road from Kimpton front door (100m or so), and treat MR Golds well (lounge access, and lounge b/f is fine for most guests)
I made a placeholder reservation at the Renaissance; having lounge access is a nice perk and may be a tie-breaker with the De Witt; thanks for sharing this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Kimpton is a 5 min walk from Centraal. The location is incredible.

With Spire + Inner Circle, you will be looking at top tier benefits. The Kimpton recognised my IHG Plat status even before the integration. I was able to use my raid the bar benefit for a mimosa at the hotel breakfast.

Another nice perk - Kimpton has a complimentary wine/cheese hour. It does get busy as its open to all guests but still a good way to start the evening if you get there early. You will have to pay for Club access to enjoy the same at IC Amstel.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Wasn't a busy wine hour when I was there, because no-one had been told it was on.

I assume calling the location 'incredible' is some sort of joke given how many rooms are blighted by the traffic literally outside the window.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
Kimpton I realky enjoyed....staff were great....Manager walked around addressing the guests....room quirky which I like

Loved it
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Just stayed at Kimpton the first time. Spire here. Points stay. Was upgraded to maybe category higher but the room was not any special. Other than quirky room which I think the whole Kimpton is and while I can see that may attract some high-life people or such, it is not at all to my thing even if I have a high eye for architecture and design. There was nothing wrong, but I am just not going back since it was too quirky to spend 50000 points a night, breakfast excluded, there is much better worth spend for those 50000 pts in my books.
Otherwise service was good, attentive and no complaints. Great location except views out the window

I have never been at IC so I cannot compare.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
I'd say the Kimpton, though I am bit partial as I always stayed at the CP while in Amsterdam. The road noise outside actually didn't bother me one bit. Location is perfect in my opinion.

I am not a fan of the room decor at the IC.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
Was debating the same question. While business usually takes me to CP South, for leisure purposes I used to stay at the IC over the previous years. Always a good option to use the BOGO voucher, plus good upgrades and benefits as RA.

For my most recent (and somehow short notice) visit to Amsterdam the IC was way beyond EUR 500 and n/a on points. Thus I gave the Kimpton a try. Booked a comparably high rate around EUR 250. My expectations were set by Indigo standards. Kimpton exceeded them by far! Superb staff (even though the hotel was sold out), generous suite upgrade, great atmosphere in all public areas. The style and decor of the hotel is top notch, as is the quality of all materials and furnishing (which is largely different from Indigo, which always reminds me of IKEA).

Overall, I was most positively surpised by the Kimpton. Absolutely nothing to complain about. Clear recommendation! Also, as previously mentioned, location is more convenient compared to the IC if you want to visit restaurants/bars.
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
For years IC Amstel was on my wish list. Finally have the opportunity to visit Amsterdam for the first time. Happy to find I can easily get points nights (mid January) at Amstel--paying EUR 350 per night is out of the realm of sensibility for me. Booked 3 nights, emailed to ask if we could get 2 beds (my daughter and I)--it's the same price when booking a paid 1 bed rate. Never received a reply from Amstel.

Read more and more positive reviews for the Kimpton, then more recent negative feedback for Amstel. Changed the booking to Kimpton 2 paid nights + 1 award night; they replied immediately that they'd changed the award night to 2 beds to keep the same room as my paid nights (at Kimpton 2 beds is a higher rate). Feeling very good about the switch and really looking forward to our visit to Kimpton De Witt.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Steph58
For years IC Amstel was on my wish list. Finally have the opportunity to visit Amsterdam for the first time. Happy to find I can easily get points nights (mid January) at Amstel--paying EUR 350 per night is out of the realm of sensibility for me. Booked 3 nights, emailed to ask if we could get 2 beds (my daughter and I)--it's the same price when booking a paid 1 bed rate. Never received a reply from Amstel.

Read more and more positive reviews for the Kimpton, then more recent negative feedback for Amstel. Changed the booking to Kimpton 2 paid nights + 1 award night; they replied immediately that they'd changed the award night to 2 beds to keep the same room as my paid nights (at Kimpton 2 beds is a higher rate). Feeling very good about the switch and really looking forward to our visit to Kimpton De Witt.
I'll be at the DeWitt on Monday and am very much looking forward to it, don't forget to use the secret password 'Sweater Weather' at check-in for a surprise.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by alancostello
I'll be at the DeWitt on Monday and am very much looking forward to it, don't forget to use the secret password 'Sweater Weather' at check-in for a surprise.
Thank you very much for this tip--we received 2 complimentary breakfasts, which were delicious and a very good perk. Also received a nice amenity, bottle of red wine and macarons. With that said I likely would not choose the DeWitt again. The location is good for one or two nights, first-time visitor, due to proximity to Central Station and the canal boat tours. The area definitely has a major tourist, frenzied vibe even in January. But the main reason I'd stay elsewhere is the major hassle I had with them charging me extra for a second person at checkout. I listed 2 people on the reservation (which increases the rate vs. 1 person), then I selected 2 twins which again increases the rate vs. one bed. No where on the IHG website did it state yet another charge for a second person, at least not when I booked in November (nonrefundable rate but they didn't charge me until checkout). They also were adamant that I received an upgrade with the 2 twins even though that's what I booked. I know when you need 2 beds it's limiting, so didn't expect an upgrade anyway.

I questioned the charge at checkout, she wouldn't budge. She said all Kimptons charge extra for a second person and offered to go get a manager. It was 8 a.m., we needed to catch a train, it was starting to rain, a couple of people behind me in line--I didn't have time to start my day with this hassle. Sent an email when I got home, they stood firm. Called IHG customer service (thankfully reached the U.S. office), who contacted the hotel, and now I have a refund for the second person charge. How petty--they got more money from me for 2 dinners at the restaurant and drinks in the lounge than what it would cost them to wash a couple of extra towels. We stayed in 5 hotels during our vacation, and I would rate the DeWitt #5 (it was the highest priced),

So just a caution when booking here--know they charge extra for more than 1 person, and don't be surprised if you do not receive a room upgrade. This is a hotel that plays with the semantics of the many room descriptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.