IC Abu Dhabi - "upgrades do not get club access"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

That's what it says under the descriptions of club-rooms and suites.

What's that all about ?

(and should a RA be concerned )
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:24 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hotel in the past has been well known for not giving club access to RAs who got suites, may have changed with the rule changes but I don't really care. It's such a pisspoor excuse for a hotel I moved to the Staybridge at Yas last year.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
I guess that's pretty good if they're upfront about it now.

I've only been there once, as a Spire Ambassador, my upgrade was to a high floor. No (obvious) upgrade at all, I don't recall if I even had a designated "Club" room.

I have not received access to the club/lounge originally. After about the third complaint (prompted by honest response during chitchat at reception: "How would you rate us" or "How's your stay") and after already having given up I did receive access for the last morning of my stay so it was hardly worth it and felt like too little too late.

Both Crowne Plazas (in the City and on Yas Island) are significantly nicer in my humble opinion and take better care of elite members.

That said, CP Yas Island made me pay for Club Access (but it's very reasonable so not worth complaining) and I think IC AUH can be quite a bargain, so maybe it's not too bad overall.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markis10
...It's such a pisspoor excuse for a hotel I moved to the Staybridge at Yas last year.
...and yet it does so well in its customer reviews !!!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I complained at check-out and got 15,000 points on the spot. This was over a number of issues, including my AMB upgrade being to a Club room with no access. YMMV.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
I complained at check-out and got 15,000 points on the spot. This was over a number of issues, including my AMB upgrade being to a Club room with no access. YMMV.
The place is a craphole though and to be fair AMBs have never had club upgrade as part of the deal.

The suites are hardly palatial so you didn't miss too much. The club wasn't all that either and last year when I visited I had to pay for a club room to get club access as a RA.

I got bugger all when I said it was poor at checkout so count yourself lucky.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:26 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
...and yet it does so well in its customer reviews !!!
Indeed, with most of them naming staff members by name, almost if they were relatives
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The place is a craphole though and to be fair AMBs have never had club upgrade as part of the deal.

The suites are hardly palatial so you didn't miss too much. The club wasn't all that either and last year when I visited I had to pay for a club room to get club access as a RA.

I got bugger all when I said it was poor at checkout so count yourself lucky.
HSBC corporate rate may have helped ....
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
HSBC corporate rate may have helped ....
Not for me it didn't. Maybe running a blog helped?

I actually paid 25% more to use the HSBC Corp Rate than I might have too.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Does Club Access come with "Club Rooms ?"

I'm booked at the end of Feb 2018 at IC Abu Dhabi and I opted for the more Expensive "Club Floor Room".
My assumption is that my wife and I will have access to The IC Club for Breakfast and later day snacks. Is my assumption correct ?
I also assume that my Platinum Ambassador Benefits (Fruit Basket, Complementary Water, Room Upgrade, etc.) will all be honored.
I haven't stayed at IC Abu Dhabi, but I visited the property during a conference in November. The property seemed fine. Not opulent, but efficient and conveniently located.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpicur
I'm booked at the end of Feb 2018 at IC Abu Dhabi and I opted for the more Expensive "Club Floor Room".
My assumption is that my wife and I will have access to The IC Club for Breakfast and later day snacks. Is my assumption correct ?
I also assume that my Platinum Ambassador Benefits (Fruit Basket, Complementary Water, Room Upgrade, etc.) will all be honored.
I haven't stayed at IC Abu Dhabi, but I visited the property during a conference in November. The property seemed fine. Not opulent, but efficient and conveniently located.

An unpopular view, but I like it. If you've booked a club room, then I guess you'll get club - and it's very, very nice. There's breakfast, all day snacks, (I think tea time) and a substantial evening offer.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by gpicur
If you booked and pay for the 'Club Room', it comes with access to the club benefits as per the room descriptor:

Elegant and spacious club rooms overlooking the expansive city skyline featuring an ergonomic work area with feel of comfort and indulgence - 'Access to club lounge with free breakfast and cocktail hours. Alternate venue offered for child below 12yrs..'

If you do not have 'Royal Ambassador (RA)' status and are upgraded to this room type, you do not get Club benefits - "Club benefits is not granted for upgrade.' This statement does not apply to RAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.