Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which IC in French Polynesia?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Which IC in French Polynesia?

Need some help here...I'm planning a week long trip to FP. I've read through the various hotel specific threads and still unsure about my thinking (I couldn't find a comprehensive thread comparing the various hotels). I'm thinking 3 nights at IC Moorea and 4 nights at IC Thalasso (skipping IC Tahiti and IC Le Moana). I know IC Thalasso is the place to go but I'll probably get bored if I'm there for a week and I do want to vary my experience while in FP.

Assuming stays are on points, any thoughts about which ICs and for how many nights? Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I suggest you read the different and individual forums. The consensus is that there is no consensus, but I would say the most number of votes is the Thalasso. Good luck getting points nights though.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:54 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
I really enjoyed the IC Tahiti. I don't know the value on points but I found that signing up for Ambassador to get the BOGO voucher made the cash rates worthwhile for a couple of days.

I did did find that an overnight in Tahiti was unavoidable because of the timing of the incoming international flights and the daylight only flights on Air Tahiti.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:08 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
We also varied our stay, loved the IC Thalasso Bora Bora. Moorea is a nice island, didn't stay at IC there. Agree that it's difficult to avoid one-night on Tahiti due to flights, but wasn't impressed with the island - not quite the Robinson Crusoe feel of the others...
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I suggest you read the different and individual forums. The consensus is that there is no consensus, but I would say the most number of votes is the Thalasso.
Thanks. I have read through most of the various threads.

Good luck getting points nights though.
I'm pretty lucky

Originally Posted by BackSlash3
I really enjoyed the IC Tahiti.
Anything specific about the IC Tahiti?

I did did find that an overnight in Tahiti was unavoidable because of the timing of the incoming international flights and the daylight only flights on Air Tahiti.
I thinking about flying in on HA via HNL. Flight arrives PPT in the evening so likely a stay in Tahiti on the first night.

Last edited by Troopers; Jan 24, 2017 at 8:43 am
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Thanks. I have read through most of the various threads.

I'm pretty lucky

Anything specific about the IC Tahiti?

I thinking about flying in on HA via HNL. Flight arrives PPT in the evening so likely a stay in Tahiti on the first night.

Doing the same thing in April, flying in on Hawaiian, spending night here at IC Tahiti and then off to Bora Bora. Fly back that following Saturday with no night spent in Tahiti on the back end.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:40 pm

Been to French Polynesia three times so here's my suggestion.....skip Tahiti if you can/if flight schedule allows; I stayed at IC Tahiti for a night because of flight schedule. Head to Moorea! Moorea is beautiful but I stayed at the Hilton Moorea not the IC. Then to Bora Bora, Thalasso hands down! Great service, amazing and huge overwater bungalows, and best of it can book with points without extra cash to upgrade. I stayed 4 nights in Thalasso on points and did not get bored; Bora Bora has plenty of activities to keep you entertained I have the photos and details in my blog:

https://missvacation.wordpress.com/c...ynesia-travel/
Carl Christensen likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks MissVacation!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:11 pm

Thanks MissVacation!
Welcome!
Old May 5, 2017, 12:19 pm

I didn't think the Intercontinental in Tahiti was that bad. Good place to relax for one night as well as have dinner on the end of our Bora Bora Trip. Easy access from the airport.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
All four Intercontinental hotels on the list of top 20 resorts in Oceania. IC Tahiti is higher ranked than Hilton Moorea:

http://www.cntraveler.com/readers-ch...ic-top-resorts

The winner is owned by the same group as the ICs, but somehow I doubt we will once be able to use our IHG points there...
Old May 7, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by DUflyer
All four Intercontinental hotels on the list of top 20 resorts in Oceania. IC Tahiti is higher ranked than Hilton Moorea:

http://www.cntraveler.com/readers-ch...ic-top-resorts

The winner is owned by the same group as the ICs, but somehow I doubt we will once be able to use our IHG points there...

My bet is the Conrad will move up a few places this next year...just a hunch. But I enjoyed IC Tahiti for what it was.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

I'm stoked! Just booked my missing award night in the FP. Going for a week next Mar/Apr. One helluva of a spring break for the kids.

2 nights at Le Moana followed by 4 nights at Thalasso.

ETA: reserved a night at IC Tahiti for the morning flight back to LAX.

Last edited by Troopers; Jun 27, 2017 at 7:36 pm
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:13 pm

I'm stoked! Just booked my missing award night in the FP. Going for a week next Mar/Apr. One helluva of a spring break for the kids.

2 nights at Le Moana followed by 4 nights at Thalasso.

ETA: reserved a night at IC Tahiti for the morning flight back to LAX.

That sounds like an awesome combination! We stayed 3 nights at Thalasso and 3 nights at Le Moana. Make sure you take floats for the kids to relax in the lagoon (and at Matira Beach), my wife and I loved it. I was on a honeymoon which is way different than a family vacation obviously. But we preferred Thalasso so much more that we even went back by paying for a half-day spa and stayed at the motu all day during one of our Le Moana nights.

Thalasso is far superior in terms of level of service, view (Otemanu), and tranquility. Le Moana is better for a "lively" atmosphere and convenience to less expensive food. We did not get bored at either location since there are countless excursions you can do in the lagoon and around the island that will pick you up straight from the hotel docks. The overwater bungalow at Thalasso was amazing and we ended up in two units (#219 and #226 ) due to our desire for upgrades but were limited since the hotel was fully booked. The beach bungalow at Le Moana was spacious and fun, but the resort is more compact so there felt like less privacy there.

At Thalasso you can snorkel in the lagoonarium, feed sting rays, relax at pool, kayak/paddle board, feed fish, go to tide pools at the ocean side, etc.

At Le Moana there is a smaller pool, not much place for swimming in the lagoon, so I would suggest doing island excursions on those days or spending your time at Matira Beach. Nice thing is you will have access to a 10 minute walk for groceries that you can pack over to Thalasso.

I could talk about it all day since we had such an awesome trip, but let me know if you have specific questions. Bora Bora is a beautiful place!
Troopers likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks flighton!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.