Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending Diamond status by purchasing Ambassador?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by MichaelA380
For me it was a zero-sum game, as I was already Platinum, but I have other reasons for the purchase. As far as the extension / validity are concerned, I had the same question at the time and here is the explanation I got from the Ambassador Customer Service Team: IHG One Rewards Elite Status is valid on calendar-year basis. Imagine you bought your status today, 22.8.22:
- if you were already Platinum, it will bring you nothing in terms of status and your profile (membership card in the app) will show status validity until 31.12.22
- if you were Club / Silver / Gold, it will upgrade your status and your profile (membership card in the app) will show status validity until 31.12.22
On 1.1.23 the system will reset the status - and because your Ambassador subscription is still valid on that date, you will get another calendar year of Platinum until 31.12.23 (and not until 22.8.23 - this is only when your Ambassador subscription will expire, if not renewed, however that expiry will not affect your Platinum status until the end of 2023).
All the same, I would like to find a way to get Diamond faster. I missed the status match, I hope they will launch something similar soon
Old Sep 4, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
I am trying to establish what will happen with a new sign up for Ambassador for an IHG Dimaond member. I am currently IHG Diamond, due to expire end of 2022 and will then be platinum based on nights. If I subscribe for the first time to Ambassador, would this have any effect on my IHG Diamond status?

I have read through most of the thread and seems to be mixed reports. It looks like straight after signing up, it will show Ambassdor till 2023 but Diamond just to 2022. I wonder though when it comes to the end of the year, does Spire actually drop down or will it just roll over?
Does anyone have experience of this? Advise would be appreciated as this would be a great benefit for me with mostly HI and CP stays.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 4:35 am

A first sign up for AMB doesn't extend IHG status.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
My Amb expires in Feb. 2023. My Spire/Diamond was already extended till Dec. 2023 when I renewed my Amb. in Jan. 2022. I feel more confident that if I renewed in Jan. 2023, that my Diamond may be extended till Dec. 2024 (or Feb. 2025?), but not sure if this will still happen if I renew in Dec. 2022 or before. Anyone on the same boat? Maybe I will have to forgo the opportunity to take advantage of this renewal offer.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
My Amb expires in Feb. 2023. My Spire/Diamond was already extended till Dec. 2023 when I renewed my Amb. in Jan. 2022. I feel more confident that if I renewed in Jan. 2023, that my Diamond may be extended till Dec. 2024 (or Feb. 2025?), but not sure if this will still happen if I renew in Dec. 2022 or before. Anyone on the same boat? Maybe I will have to forgo the opportunity to take advantage of this renewal offer.
Not sure if we've seen reports like this one, but renewing Amb before 2023 seems like a gamble.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Originally Posted by 336
A first sign up for AMB doesn't extend IHG status.
What about a lapsed membership? I let my Ambassador drop during Covid - no IC stays. Still on Diamond status. I'd buy up again if it extended Diamond alongside the Ambassador
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by leland
What about a lapsed membership? I let my Ambassador drop during Covid - no IC stays. Still on Diamond status. I'd buy up again if it extended Diamond alongside the Ambassador
Believe lapsed is treated like new, per someone else recently, but not positive.
leland and ARR72 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Data point: extended my Ambassador membership today and my Diamond status was extended instantly.
ernestnywang and yurtripper like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
Another data point: signed up for Ambassador for the first time today. My diamond status is now showing a 12/31/2023 expiration
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by tatia
Another data point: signed up for Ambassador for the first time today. My diamond status is now showing a 12/31/2023 expiration
Oh, most of the data points are on diamond extension with ambassador renewal. Helpful to know that yours is a first time sign up and got diamond extended too! Could you share whether you got the ambassador via payment or points redemption?

Not sure whether the mode may affect the outcome, as seems like there were earlier data points on how some signed up for the first time but didn't manage to get the extension?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
Originally Posted by wondrousnature
Oh, most of the data points are on diamond extension with ambassador renewal. Helpful to know that yours is a first time sign up and got diamond extended too! Could you share whether you got the ambassador via payment or points redemption?

Not sure whether the mode may affect the outcome, as seems like there were earlier data points on how some signed up for the first time but didn't manage to get the extension?
I redeemed points. I have a lot of points in this account and was happy to put them to this use
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by tatia
I redeemed points. I have a lot of points in this account and was happy to put them to this use
Thanks a lot for the data point!
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Like everyone else, my IHG Diamond status expires end of Feb 2023, thanks to the extension. My Ambassador status expires May 1, 2023. The only way for me to keep Diamond is through the Ambassador renewal. My understanding is that renewal of Ambassador can occur within roughly 90-92 days of expiration, so in 2023 I could renew Ambassador late February and retain Diamond. So far, so good, right?

But what happens at the end of 2023? My Diamond status will expire Dec 31, 2023, which would be more than 90 days before my Ambassador expiration in May 2024. Is there a way to renew Ambassador more than 90 days out (like December 30, 2023) such that I would retain Diamond status through the end of 2023?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by bob12403
Like everyone else, my IHG Diamond status expires end of Feb 2023, thanks to the extension. My Ambassador status expires May 1, 2023. The only way for me to keep Diamond is through the Ambassador renewal. My understanding is that renewal of Ambassador can occur within roughly 90-92 days of expiration, so in 2023 I could renew Ambassador late February and retain Diamond. So far, so good, right?

But what happens at the end of 2023? My Diamond status will expire Dec 31, 2023, which would be more than 90 days before my Ambassador expiration in May 2024. Is there a way to renew Ambassador more than 90 days out (like December 30, 2023) such that I would retain Diamond status through the end of 2023?
If the current trick still works then, when you renew your Amb in early 2023, your Amb expiry will be moved to May 2024, and Diamond Dec. 2024 or Feb. 2025. You might need to be sure to requalify Diamond this year, though.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
If the current trick still works then, when you renew your Amb in early 2023, your Amb expiry will be moved to May 2024, and Diamond Dec. 2024 or Feb. 2025. You might need to be sure to requalify Diamond this year, though.
But "You need to be sure to requalify Diamond this year" is precisely the concern going forward. I will only requalify by renewing Ambassador, and as far as I know I can't do that until next year. So I come back to the question: what happens in 2023? When does my Diamond status expire if I renew Ambassador in Feb 2023? Sure, Ambassador will be extended by another year to May 2024, but doesn't my Diamond status only get extended to the end of 2023 when I renew Ambassador?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.