Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending Diamond status by purchasing Ambassador?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 7:51 am

I just renewed my Intercontinental Ambassador status via the pay $200 and get 15,000 IHG points offer. My Ambassador was set to expire on 6/1/2022 and my Diamond Elite IHG status was set to expire on 12/31/2022. Immediately after renewing, the 15,000 IHG points posted and my Diamond Elite IHG status now shows as expiring on 12/31/2023 both in the app and online.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Frenchfille78
I just renewed my Intercontinental Ambassador status via the pay $200 and get 15,000 IHG points offer. My Ambassador was set to expire on 6/1/2022 and my Diamond Elite IHG status was set to expire on 12/31/2022. Immediately after renewing, the 15,000 IHG points posted and my Diamond Elite IHG status now shows as expiring on 12/31/2023 both in the app and online.
I just renewed now, with my Diamond status renewing through 2023 also; wasn't sure it'd work as Ambassador itself only gives Platinum status
remymartin and jongesander like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:57 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Can we delete this thread, please? 😬
dw, oxfordjames, 336 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by ymx; Jun 15, 2022 at 12:30 pm
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:24 pm

Great idea. Wisest words of the whole thread.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ymx
Because IHG hasn't noticed this loophole? Despite the improved benefits, IHG doesn't appear concerned about a surplus of elites. Or hasn't anyone noticed that IHG is now giving away Platinum status?

The real game for status now with IHG is the milestone rewards. Giving top-tier elites free breakfast will hardly break the chain's bank.

Although this has been an easy way to get top-tier status with IHG, it's hardly the only one. No one should need to stay 70 nights--although IHG has offered a fair amount of carrots to those who do.
jongesander likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
I think IHG is fully aware of this "glitch" and also understand that people factor this small benefit when renewing Ambassador.

Someday they might kill this, and that day the Ambassador proposition is getting more weak.
thegreatmrsj likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ymx
This thread has existed since December 2016 so coming up to it's 7th birthday. If IHG wanted to close this loophole then they've had plenty of time to close it.

My guess is that the number of people who benefit from this is so small in the scheme of things that it's simply not worth them doing anything about

In cash terms it costs IHG very little (as the benefits are provided by the hotels not IHG) and it keeps customers happy and retains their loyalty - and bookings - to IHG
adobbing and jongesander like this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 1:02 pm

Sure. Let's be arrogant. Feed the blogs. Why not?

You have only to loose. The gain is zero.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ymx
One of the least attractive traits of FT is members trying to build fences round their positions regarding benefits: pulling up the drawbridge behind them

Whether the retention of Spire/Diamond for Ambassador renewals is a soft benefit or a glitch, or maybe it's quietly bundling Spire with Ambassador, it seems pretty likely the schemers in IHG Towers are aware of it.

It's unlikely they'd care much anyway: the benefit/glitch promotes ambassador membership and whatever cost involved is shouldered by the hotels, while IHG pockets the $200 annual fee.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
One of the least attractive traits of FT is members trying to build fences round their positions regarding benefits: pulling up the drawbridge behind them

Whether the retention of Spire/Diamond for Ambassador renewals is a soft benefit or a glitch, or maybe it's quietly bundling Spire with Ambassador, it seems pretty likely the schemers in IHG Towers are aware of it.

It's unlikely they'd care much anyway: the benefit/glitch promotes ambassador membership and whatever cost involved is shouldered by the hotels, while IHG pockets the $200 annual fee.
Agree with the first two points. And to add that people scheming for status aren't actually staying --> not costing much to deliver those travel hacked elite benefits.

However, I doubt that IHG has the power in their existing contracts to just push the cost of elite BF onto franchisees. Otherwise they would have followed the other chains years ago. There must be an element of IHG covering the cost...

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody took a deep dive into the numbers and realised it was cheaper to fund elite benefits (to attract business) versus running highly lucrative promos (Accelerate, etc.)
escape4 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 11:30 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by 336
Sure. Let's be arrogant. Feed the blogs. Why not?
You have only to loose. The gain is zero.
​​​​​
Well now with the story on LL after your post, if some people didn't know now they do!

However the blog says new AMB members get status extension which I thought based on feedback here it's AMB renewals only. Consequently some people will pay for (new) AMB status based on the blog and end up not retaining status ... IHG wins
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
I got my Ambassador status in March 2022 to expire in March 2023, but my Spire is set to expire at the end of 2022 still :/ So doesn't always seem to work
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:21 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by petter2
I got my Ambassador status in March 2022 to expire in March 2023, but my Spire is set to expire at the end of 2022 still :/ So doesn't always seem to work
Was this a new AMB membership or a renewal?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
First time, got Spire the year before
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:35 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by petter2
First time, got Spire the year before
Thanks for the data point. So perhaps the current “glitch” is that existing AMBs who are also Spire/Diamond are having Spire/Diamond renewed as well when they renew their AMB memberships.

In which case it’s likely a minor subset of customers, as many Spire/Diamond AMBs are likely to requalify under the regular criteria anyway. (Personally, this has been the case with me every year for the past few years- I’ve had my Spire extended every summer when renewing my AMB membership, but have ended up qualifying the regular way anyway by the end of the year.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.