Intercontinental Sofia
4 Narodno Sabranie Square
Sofia 1000
Bulgaria
Tel +359 2 93334334

Link to hotel:
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/hotels/us/en/sofia/sofco/hoteldetail

Reports
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29609448-post8.html incl picture of lounge information

Pre Opening Thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1906876-ic-sofia-master-thread-pre-opening-thread.html
Print Wikipost

IC Sofia Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2020, 2:42 am

My 3-night stay at the beginning of October. Booked Club room. As Ambassador got upgraded to a huge Executive Suite (four categories up), complimentary minibar, usual $15 credit.

Lounge is closed, but all benefits are provided in Floret restaurant apart from breakfast which is in their main restaurant.

If you book club room you can order as much as you want from hot dish menu (eggs bendict, royale, pancakes, etc.) plus buffet for breakfast. It’s all plated for you.

In Floret there is afternoon tea which includes 2-3 finger sandwiches, few small cakes and macarons plus any choice of tea. There are also alcoholic drinks available.

In the evening, club benefits include drinks from selected menu plus you can order one normal dish from the main food menu.

Housekeeping - you can request it every day or however you like.

Masks are required, but not all guest wore them properly or when walking around. Hotel didn’t seem to enforce. Staff wore them. Sanitisers everywhere and social distancing maintained in lifts and public spaces as well as in restaurants.

I booked one night on points and I was quoted $50 for upgrade to club benefits before arrival and agreed. In the end they waived it.

Overall, I was quite happy and would stay again.
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Recent Data Point. Just returned from a BA TP run, short week end with the wife in Sofia. Managed to secure a fairly good tariff and booked a deluxe room with Cathedral view. I am a Reward Club member but do not hold any status so no particular perks (free internet). Generally I have found the location very good and quite satisfied with the overall experience.
With regards to COVID Restrictions, masks had to be work in all the public area and we were asked for proof of vaccination when visiting for the first time the Floret restaurant for lunch and the Breakfast restaurant. The minibars are empty because of COVID Regulation but no other noticeable difference.
Would I stay again? Probably yes unless I could find a special offer / great tariff at Sofia Hotel Balkan, but just because the location would suit me even better in revisiting the city
Old Dec 6, 2021, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
Would I stay again? Probably yes unless I could find a special offer / great tariff at Sofia Hotel Balkan, but just because the location would suit me even better in revisiting the city
InterContinental Sofia is a very solid business hotel, with central location, nice suites and pleasant club lounge.
Sofia hotel Balkan is somewhat dated, but certainly one of the cheapest Luxury Collection propertes in Europe.
marcopizzaiuolo and koriobg like this.

Last edited by nicolas75; Dec 6, 2021 at 1:32 pm
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
I hope the Club lounge will return at some point (it was closed on my stays earlier this year), meanwhile I was able to use it's benefits at restaurant Floret on club rates.
I agree with nicolas75 about the IC suites, especially like the King Terrace City View ones
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Full review of my stay in June 2022
richardhall99 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: Diamond Inner Circle Royal Ambassador
This is an excellent hotel. Stayed twice in 2019 within a month of each other as a lowly Spire Amb. Got the same room, I think exactly the same room - 301 - although only booked a club room. Club lounge was open then and excellent.

One of the best treatments in any IC I've stayed at. And a bargain price too!
nicolas75 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
I'm just going to link my post from the Ambassador master thread (written earlier this year) here, because IC Sofia is really that good to the point I'm missing it (despite only staying for one night!). Got room 201 for those who need to know, and genuinely I think this is one of those hotels I'll specifically go back to if I just need a bit of time away from everything.
EmeraldLady likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:00 am

I would like to re-emphasise what the posters above me have noted - for me personally, of all ICs I have stayed in, this one has offered the best experience (and I am a simple Platinum Ambassador). Unless I am miscounting, I have 4 stays in the last two years (unfortunately lounge closed at all occasions), always booked the lowest category king room and upgraded to high floor with view of the Parliament / the Cathedral. Extremely good prices for IC (consistently sub-100€), easily reachable from the Airport (2 minutes walk from the nearest metro station or 6€ taxi ride), perfectly located, etc. I can only recommend it - and Sofia is worth a (long) weekend trip.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:36 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
You are making me feel like returning to Sofia, believe this IC was the old SAS Radisson where I had a fantastic stay way back when in the early 00s. Loved Sofia as well, I think I will be planning a little detour on a trip to spend a couple of days here again!
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:09 pm

@Admiral Ackbar: You are absolutely correct, that is the former Radisson (I stayed there under this brand as well, once, and it was unremarkable - but I can say that for all my Radisson stays).
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Anyone know when the Club Lounge will be reopened?

Reading all the comments on FT and elsewhere I'm keen to try out IC Sofia, as it looks great from a value perspective, but it would be nice if there was a lounge available also (yes, I know SOF is great value for Food/Drink if you get outside the hotel but still..)
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Anyone know when the Club Lounge will be reopened?

Reading all the comments on FT and elsewhere I'm keen to try out IC Sofia, as it looks great from a value perspective, but it would be nice if there was a lounge available also (yes, I know SOF is great value for Food/Drink if you get outside the hotel but still..)
As said in my review, all club benefits are offered at restaurant for breakfast and bar for drinks/afternoon tea/evening spread.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nicolas75
As said in my review, all club benefits are offered at restaurant for breakfast and bar for drinks/afternoon tea/evening spread.
I actually read your review but somehow missed that! Thanks anyway
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Had a couple of separate stays:
(Diamond and Ambassador)

1. Booked Suite on 6th Floor
As an Ambassador they gave me EUR15 credit and breakfast, fruit and water came to the room.

2. Booked Club Intercontinental
Given same suite as paid for previously, given afternoon tea in bar, breakfast, a smaller fruit bowl and water in room and free mini-bar. EUR15 also given.

Last edited by Markie; Aug 19, 2022 at 12:46 am
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: CX Green Marriott Titanium Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Markie
Had a couple of separate stays:
(Diamond and Ambassador)

1. Booked Suite on 6th Floor
As an Ambassador they gave me EUR15 credit and breakfast, fruit and water came to the room.

2. Booked Club Intercontinental
Given same suite as paid for previously, given afternoon tea in bar, breakfast, a smaller fruit bowl and water in room and free mini-bar. EUR15 also given.
They should have given you a 20EUR credit instead based on the current USD-EUR exchange rate
Markie, nicolas75, koriobg and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.