Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combining reservations into 1 for back-to-back stays

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Combining reservations into 1 for back-to-back stays

Hello FTs, I need some help!

I have some nights book at an IC in China later this summer.

The way the reservations are booked now, it's Sep 1-3 on one confirmation number and Sep 3-5 on another. I had to book it this way because I went to add nights later on and the rate had since jumped. Rather than tacking the additional nights on, the IHG website wanted to reprice the whole stay at the additional higher rate. I just booked the 2 additional nights as a separate stay.

Question is this: Can IHG customer service/reservations combine the reservation into one cohesive stay so I do not have to check in and check out again?

If so, what number/department should I call and is there any special terminology I should use?

The key here is that I don't want the reservation repriced. I also would prefer to take care of this before arrival and check in at the hotel because I am concerned English may not be so good at this property.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Doing it in the hotel will be much easier IMHO.

Last edited by olegator; Apr 27, 2016 at 2:14 pm Reason: Mental disorder
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Ambassador, Melia Platinum, IB Gold, TAP Gold
The only problem with having several back-to-back reservations is that the hotel can assign different rooms for each reservation. If the room type and bed configuration is the same across reservations, this is normally not a problem.

Just let the front desk know during check-in. You can also add a note to the first reservation with the booking number of the 2nd reservation, and stating that you would like to keep your room for the entire stay.

The two reservations will only count as 1 stay for the purpose of elite status by the way.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Do it at the hotel and it will work. If you want to make sure your points and stay credits work properly, ask them for a FINAL folio on each day of departure (based on your reservations). It is nothing like requesting to be checked-out and in in a minute. Not transferring the charges to a new account, simply paying the invoice. Not painful, easy and avoids several emails (and if there is a promotion based on stays you will have several stays with 99% certainty).
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Danimalito
The only problem with having several back-to-back reservations is that the hotel can assign different rooms for each reservation. If the room type and bed configuration is the same across reservations, this is normally not a problem.

Just let the front desk know during check-in. You can also add a note to the first reservation with the booking number of the 2nd reservation, and stating that you would like to keep your room for the entire stay.

The two reservations will only count as 1 stay for the purpose of elite status by the way.
Hotels in China are not stupid. They will recognize that with 99% certainty. And if the OP does it the right way the two reservations will count as two stays.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by woodford02A
Question is this: Can IHG customer service/reservations combine the reservation into one cohesive stay so I do not have to check in and check out again?
This is not unusual. Simply notified the front desk agent at check-in. If the two reservations are different room configs/categories, they may require the lower room.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:30 pm

Can IHG customer service/reservations combine the reservation into one cohesive stay so I do not have to check in and check out again?
No one at IHG can alter reservations in the manner you wish. As long as both reservations have the same room type, you shouldn't have any problems.

You may have to get a new room key on the day of your second reservation, but there's virtually no reason why the hotel will make you switch rooms. Switching rooms is a huge hassle for both you and the hotel. Plus, "check-out" rooms usually get a more thorough cleaning, so a room switch actually costs the hotel (a little bit) more in costs than letting you stay in the same room.

The key here is that I don't want the reservation repriced. I also would prefer to take care of this before arrival and check in at the hotel because I am concerned English may not be so good at this property.
I would not be worried about language. Take it from someone who worked in hotels: Back-to-back reservations happen all the time.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
You may have to get a new room key on the day of your second reservation
Had a couple of similar back-to-back reservations, and while they always happily let me stay in the same room, this is the one thing there appeared to be no way around. Always had to get a new key the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.