Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Surprise Check from Laura McCabe v. Six Continents Hotels Settlement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Did anyone else receive a surprise check from the Laura McCabe v. Six Continents Hotels Settlement recently?

I received two checks today for approximately $250 each (one under my name, another under a family member's name).

Never heard of this class action lawsuit before nor do I remember joining the lawsuit. Nonetheless - thank you IHG! ^
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Yikes!

A proposed $11,700,000 class action settlement has been reached

...puts my own $200 unhappiness with IHG into perspective
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

No one else got this? I'm shocked!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Received my check today.

Yay.

I would have figured the check to be in single or lower double digits. I certainly didn't expect a 2 in front of it! (Well, unless it was in the $20s.)
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Received my check today.

Yay.

I would have figured the check to be in single or lower double digits. I certainly didn't expect a 2 in front of it! (Well, unless it was in the $20s.)
Finally! Glad there's someone else too. ^

Congrats! Yes the website says they expect the payment amount to be around $100 per member so apparently not as many people were aware of it I guess.

...if I could only remember when or why I joined this class action ... and if I did ... then why didn't I do it for every family member. Haha.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:55 pm

$245.98

It's a simple concept: you MUST be told "This call may be recorded" and IHG did not disclose that they were recording calls. You have the right to refuse to be recorded, and you obviously are denied that right if you aren't told they are recording you.

The initial class pertains to calls made 5 years ago, which is why you may have forgotten about it.

Though unrelated, consider this a bonus for all of those Priceless Surprise entries haha.

Last edited by npf125; Apr 26, 2016 at 8:10 pm
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I got a settlement check in the mail today, too.

Unlike others here I do remember receiving notice of the class action suit months ago. I submitted a claim because plaintiff's attorneys made it reasonable easy to do so. Then I promptly forgot about it. My past experience with such suits is that the settlement works out to a few dollars per class member after all the lawyers' fees are paid. Even worse, class member compensation is often paid in the form of a voucher redeemable only on subsequent purchases. Give me a $5-off coupon valid on my next IHG stay? Pfft. But a live check for nearly $250? Yes, thank you!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by npf125
The initial class action form you submitted was 5 years ago, which is why you may have forgotten about it.
It's not that old. While the harms alleged in the suit occurred roughly 4-5 years ago (specifically, between March 1, 2011 and July 18, 2012, inclusive), the period to submit participation forms was late last year.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:12 pm

I got one this week. ^

thanks Laura!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.