Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Questions re cash plus points award stay: wife's points, just me staying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions re cash plus points award stay: wife's points, just me staying

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Questions re cash plus points award stay: wife's points, just me staying

I did a search but couldn't find all of these questions answered, so...

I'm looking to book a cash plus points award stay using my wife's points, but I'd be the only one staying. I understand that award stays using one person's points but another person staying are possible, as long as that second person is listed as an additional guest in the reservation. But I have a few questions:

1. We'd sign in using her account, obviously, to make the reservation. But could the credit card for paying the cash portion be mine?
2. I'm a Platinum (and might be joining the Ambassador program) and she's a Gold. Would my status count under these circumstances?
3. To whom would any points for the stay accrue: her or me?

Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Bumping this just in case anyone can address these questions. Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Bumping this just in case anyone can address these questions. Thanks.
She should accumulate the points on her account. Any upgrades will be based on her standing with IHG unless you happen to mention you're a Platinum to them and say show them your card or something.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
s:

1. We'd sign in using her account, obviously, to make the reservation. But could the credit card for paying the cash portion be mine?
2. I'm a Platinum (and might be joining the Ambassador program) and she's a Gold. Would my status count under these circumstances?

Thanks for any help!
1) Why not?
2) Try to show it while check-in - but do not bet much on it.
3) Her

*just my Humble opinion.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I did a search but couldn't find all of these questions answered, so...

I'm looking to book a cash plus points award stay using my wife's points, but I'd be the only one staying. I understand that award stays using one person's points but another person staying are possible, as long as that second person is listed as an additional guest in the reservation. But I have a few questions:

Thanks for any help!
I like others here am confused ?? ................Points and Cash Award means booking IHGer books hotel and buys the extra 5k-15k points at reservation time. Wife is signed into IHG account to book room, so CC used at this time must be in her name.

Further more the cash bought points, which are then used to book room as on "points only" (There is no room rate payment for night due at hotel checkin) so there are no points to earn

Also award nights are not due benefits like upgrades etc

By IHGs t+c's benefits accrue by virtue of status of guest reserving room, if they turnup/occupy said booked room. Hotel does not need give benefits based on additional (2nd Guest) who has higher status than booking guest.
(ie non-status additional guest is not due non attending elites perks)

This does not mean hotels won't provide ex-gratia benefits for award nights for 2nd guest's status.
Remember hotels allocate upgrades pre arrival, and do not see or use additional guests status for that upgrade so hotel even if wanting to may not have upgrade rooms left when you checkin.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
I think scubaccr's got it right.

IHG doesn't care whose CC is used to purchase points, as long as it's authorized activity.

If the res is made under your wife's account, she'll accrue and the property manager would base upgrades off her status, not yours.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, folks. I guess I'm still a bit confused on whether my cc can be used, but that's really not a major matter for us.

If I go this route, I'll report back if I learn anything new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.