Search

What's up with IHG in Nordic countries?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Thanks for the interesting history.
Originally Posted by FFlash
The nowadays Scandic was formerly InterContinental, opened as well in 1972 and later fully owned by Finnair (later Arctia)! The interesting part I did not know, but now I understand why the Finnair bus stops there (still, after all the years???) as only stop before central station.
Going back, ISTR that the AY town terminal and the bus terminus was by the IC. It meant an easy transfer between airport and this hotel, also the former Hesperia, even in mid-winter.

The bus service was later extended to the central station, perhaps when ownership of the hotel changed.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
In Scandinavia and Finland I go for more locally run hotels, which are sometimes reasonably priced for a personal and pleasant service. Among the chains, I have found Scandic (which has been around for a long time) and Best Western quite decent.

Switzerland, I think, is not hugely into the chain hotel business. When up in the Alps I tend to think more of family run chalet establishments. But I wonder why IHG does not have more properties in the Carribean?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
[QUOTE=FFlash;25234252]I did some history search and found some information:

The nowadays Scandic was formerly InterContinental, opened as well in 1972 and later fully owned by Finnair (later Arctia)! The interesting part I did not know, but now I understand why the Finnair bus stops there (still, after all the years???) as only stop before central station.

From the airport to the city centre the Finnair bus had various stops, on the way back the only stop is in front of the CP.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Now, we can also say: what's up with Accor in Sweden:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...-new-post.html
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Stayed at the Indigo Helsinki - second visit.

Booked the suite (room 801), which was a junior suite with a living room alcove. Large bathroom with separate shower. Nice small Aveda products.

Free film was included.

Excellent bed and Egyptian cotton sheets.

Had Indigo Fusion deal with dinner. Great food. Staff a little luke warm.

Great breakfast included.

Received 600 points as Spire member but could have snack and drink. From Trip Advisor, this may be a good option if you can choose high priced wine.

Service not 100% but pretty good. Would probably stay there again.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Stayed at the Indigo Helsinki - second visit.

Booked the suite (room 801), which was a junior suite with a living room alcove. Large bathroom with separate shower. Nice small Aveda products.

Free film was included.

Excellent bed and Egyptian cotton sheets.

Had Indigo Fusion deal with dinner. Great food. Staff a little luke warm.

Great breakfast included.

Received 600 points as Spire member but could have snack and drink. From Trip Advisor, this may be a good option if you can choose high priced wine.

Service not 100% but pretty good. Would probably stay there again.
You might have written this in the hotel reviews thread, but thanks for sharing anyway.
I have not yet made my stay to Indigo Helsinki yet, but visited the lobby/lounge/bar area and I must say it is one of the best and most cozy atmosphere I have been to in hotels ^ (then, it might be each to their own liking of architecture)
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by FFlash
You might have written this in the hotel reviews thread, but thanks for sharing anyway.
I have not yet made my stay to Indigo Helsinki yet, but visited the lobby/lounge/bar area and I must say it is one of the best and most cozy atmosphere I have been to in hotels ^ (then, it might be each to their own liking of architecture)
Sorry - I could not immediately find a suitable thread for the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.