Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hong Kong IHG hotel to stay at?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by scubaccr
2)Ambassador, Spire, Platinum , get NADA as you say, and this should not be a surprise, and is per IHG t+c's
Huh? I was answering gldnglv165's question. As for the "not a surprise" part - I've already discussed this upthread.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:45 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YYCowboy
Hi everyone, longtime lurker, finally decided to start posting

Anyone stayed at the new HIX Mongkok yet? I have a one-night stopover end of January and was contemplating booking with points, trying to decide between HIX Mongkok or HIX SoHo...
Welcome.

Did you end up staying at the HIX Mongkok in Jan?

I have a stay at HIX Mongkok coming up at end of this month.
-
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
HIX Mong Kok

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Welcome.

Did you end up staying at the HIX Mongkok in Jan?

I have a stay at HIX Mongkok coming up at end of this month.
-
I have stayed here at least 20X

For
Modern, clean
Usually reasonably priced - prices regularly drop by up to 50% within 24 hours though
Good for MTR and Airport Express Bus - Yau Me Tai is closer
Easy and quick for taxi to/from airport

Against
Mong Kok is a very interesting area but markets apart is not a tourist area
Breakfast will not appeal to most Westerners - covered regularly in forums
Welcome drink is now soft drink only

Hong Kong hotel prices have fallen steeply in recent months. IHG hotels only seen to drop in the 24 to 48 hour timeframe. IMHO IHG prices are a minimum of 50% more expensive than equivalent local groups. Look at Butterfly, L', OZO, iClub etc

HIX Mong Kok is falling to about 600-700 at the last minute. Within 24 hours CP Kowloon East is dropping to 800 (has done nearly every night in February to date). If you are Spire the CP is comparatively a no brainer at the right price.

The other IHG HIX that has fallen in price on many nights is the Causeway Bay one. That is Island side and a much better touristic location.

THE IC Grand Stanford is regularly down to 1350 of late.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, CC, US, BA
2 night stay - picture advice

I'll be staying in Hong Kong for two nights at the end of December. I've book at the ICHK before the points rate went up. I know I have no reason to expect an upgrade but that's fine with me. What I care more about is getting a good picture of the Hong Kong skyline. Will I have access somewhere at this hotel to get a good picture or is there a better option?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: IHG (Spire), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Lifetime Gold); Hyatt (Globalist)
I used a Chase free night certificate in November at the IC Hong Kong. At check in, I was recognized and thanked for being a Spire member and was upgraded to a harbour view room (going rate that night was $550) and offered a 30% discount on club access for me and my guest (we didn't have a need based on our one night so we passed) and we also each received a complimentary glass of wine in the restaurant/lounge area just behind the check in counter. There is an amazing view from here for you to take photos if you want.

I'm sure my experience isn't standard, but the welcome drink and upgraded room as a Spire member at an IC were very appreciated on a free night cert.

On a side note, I preferred the Hyatt Regency TST as a diamond using points, as the lounge and location were both perfect for my needs. The Holiday Inn next door would have been a good location for me as well if I am ever back in that area.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Has anyone talked about the "secret" view from the rooftop of the HIX Soho? Technically, its the Kowloon skyline and the access is "gray" but the view on a good night is spectacular. HIX Soho is also below HKD1000 at the moment and in the middle of the buzz in Sheung Wan.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
With a family for four. Two adult and two small kids (age 6,8). I can't find anything for 4 , only three is max. And most IHG double are tiny twins bed...

Looked at CP Causeway., read they don't upgrade for Platium anymore.
CP Kowloon is not convenient for 1st timer

Hotel Indigo has only King and no place for a roll away

Holiday Inn Golden miles is a maybe only chose. Maybe get lounge

Points to spend & I only have Plat with IHG but do have Hyatt Diamond, SPG but no status.

Everything seem small in HK
Old Apr 15, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: Flying blue
Usually for four, we have the same problem. And normally end up having two book room. Not in HK, has been in europe, so it's not just HK.

Holiday inn golden mile are very strict on the lounge. Only executive rooms get free access, I've tried a few times.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Has anyone stayed in all the Holiday Inn Express hotels in Hong Kong? In terms of convenience to the MTR, which one is best? The rooms and amenities look similar to me. And they are all around the same price point (although reward points vary greatly).
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by mwwalk
I'll be staying in Hong Kong for two nights at the end of December. I've book at the ICHK before the points rate went up. I know I have no reason to expect an upgrade but that's fine with me. What I care more about is getting a good picture of the Hong Kong skyline. Will I have access somewhere at this hotel to get a good picture or is there a better option?
You're literally right on the promenade, the avenue of the stars. Right on the water with the HK skyline across the water. You can't pick a better location. I can't speak for inside the hotel but the promenade is steps outside the door.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by mwwalk
I just returned from a one-day paid stay at the Intercontinental Grand Standford, and a four-day paid + points + cert stay at the ICHK as a Plat Ambassador. The Grand Standard gave me their nicest harbor view room, which has a direct, but narrow field of view between two other buildings.

The ICHK gave me a Kowloon view, which was as I expected based on other FT'er comments. The ICHK doesn't give away harbor-view rooms because people pay good money for them. The only other no-cost view to the harbor from the ICHK is from the pool or the lobby lounge.

The outdoor promenade around the harbor side of the ICHK will continue to be closed for months as construction on two massive next-door high-rises continue. In fact, the view from the lobby lounge was obstructed by a large barge and crane parked just outside the window from the construction.

Bottom line, I cannot recommend a stay at the ICHK unless using a free night cert or as a points stay at the now-gone pre-devaluation points rate.
The property is a mess outside, and is not worth either the dollar rate or the current amount of points they are asking. Please do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else like the Grand Standford.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: Flying blue
Or just go out for a walk to see the city rather than sit in a hotel and look at it!!
Old Apr 17, 2016, 1:39 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by vexorg
Or just go out for a walk to see the city rather than sit in a hotel and look at it!!
The view from a Harbour Room at the IC is literally the best man-made view I have ever witnessed from a hotel room. And I have been all over the world.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Has anyone stayed in all the Holiday Inn Express hotels in Hong Kong? In terms of convenience to the MTR, which one is best? The rooms and amenities look similar to me. And they are all around the same price point (although reward points vary greatly).
The HIX in Causeway Bay has the closest MTR entrance, across the street in the Times Square shopping center. Next would be SOHO, a few minutes walk (Sheung Wan). HIX Mongkok is between 2 stations, probably a ~5 minute walk.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
MTR Proximity

Originally Posted by tzy0
The HIX in Causeway Bay has the closest MTR entrance, across the street in the Times Square shopping center. Next would be SOHO, a few minutes walk (Sheung Wan). HIX Mongkok is between 2 stations, probably a ~5 minute walk.
The distance to the MTR entrance may be close at Causeway Bay - but the distance in the tunnels to get to the platform must be one of the longest on any subway system in the world. Indeed as a person with an office in HK I normally use buses to get to Causeway Bay because of the MTR station layout and the crowding.

The IHG hotels that are nearest to an MTR platform are The CP and HIX at TKO - Kowloon East. The hotel lobby to platform is less than 400M through a modern mall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.