Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hong Kong IHG hotel to stay at?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Accor Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Just to offer my two cents.
Except for the convenient location, I am dumbfounded when I hear that HIX Soho is good value. IMHO, for it to be good value should be less than 3x the rate of indigo or grand Stanford.

Renovations at grand Stanford are quite nice and it is 2 stops from central in MTR. Club lounge is quite fine too...pool is disappointing. Rates are currently really favorable and the taxi ride from Kowloon airport station, with its usually short queues, is both cheap around HKD30 and fast (same goes for the big IC). I really wouldn't bother connecting. I haven't tested the big IC.

If you want to stay on the island, indigo is quite nice and located in wan chai. even if I am not particularly seduced by indigo's brand hygienic quirkiness in general, this one makes it work, except for its global non smoking policy that pisses me off, but might seduce somebody else, like your toddler's lungs for example :-)
The champagne in the mini bar is surprisingly cheap if memory serves (75cl veuve at 480 I think)

But, by all means, avoid the HIX Soho.. It doesn't make any sense, except for a time sensitive business trip, it is, in comparison with the other mentioned, what Ryan air is to Cathay biz. Redeeming a free night there would be extremely strange....

I would go for the big IC personally on a cert... Without a doubt. It is extremely accessible through MTR and for the airport and VFM wise, it is a no brainer.

Since when do we flyertalkers advise redeeming certs at HIX or HI when two very good IC's are nearby and excellently connected to the rest of the city ? And stating than Nathan Road is "right in the middle of things" seems quite debatable as well... I know Central might object

Originally Posted by JimmyJoe:23355842
Originally Posted by mamak04
Would like to piggy-back and bring up this topic again... but this time we will be traveling with a toddler. We have 2 free award nights (from Chase card) and uncertain about which HK hotel to choose - IC or Hotel Indigo? Coming straight from the airport. Read that the IC (not stanford) needs 2 transfer on the train (but cheaper), while the Indigo has only 1 transfer but further. Only have Plat status, so, no expectations on breakfast. Looking for modern features in the room and easy access for toddler traveling. Thanks in advance.
Both ICs are not modern. The Indigo is less than a year is and is very modern.

Taking a taxi from HKG to any of the TST hotels is about the same for two people on the express train to Kaloon.

I agree with the poster above. The HI Golden Mile is a good option. Also I like the HIX Soho. It's very good value and great location.

You may want to consider the HI Coti in Macau. It's one of the best HI worldwide.

Last edited by SteamyUncle; Aug 13, 2014 at 11:07 am
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should go to the big IC with your Chase certs. That is a no brainer.

With a toddler, I am not sure how you could really enjoy the "local vibe" of the Wanchai area such as the Wanchai Market mentioned by one poster. Certainly not a place to explore with a toddler.

IC at TST by the water is in an area that has a more upscale feel as comparing to Wanchai.

I am surprised that those who suggest Indigo do not mention CP at Causeway Bay. That hotel is only a few years old, reportedly treat Plats well, by giving them "lounge" access. The "lounge" is the actual bar btw. Also Causeway Bay / Happy Valley is nicer than Wanchai - both are on the East side of Hong Kong Island - when going East from Central, first is Admiralty, then Wanchai, then Causeway Bay, then North Point, and other neighborhoods further East...

If you are going to pay, then it depends what your goal is. For very comfortable hotel with a very reasonable prices, CP Kowloon East could not be beat, but you would need to travel 30 min MTR to get to anywhere that are for tourists.

Otherwise, CP Causeway Bay is a good compromise - for both sightseeing (very easy to go anywhere by multiple transportation options) and shopping (the area is a highly popular shopping district for locals - from very upscale to reasonable - very very popular at night for the locals who go out to meet friends, eat at restaurants or just shop (both real and browse).

BTW, for the locals, traditionally Hong Kong Island is considered better than Kowloon. The East side of Hong Kong Island up to North Point, is considered better areas than the West side of Hong Kong Island (that means Soho and further West). The perception is developed by years of soci-economic status of the ordinary residents in respective areas. This does not include those very rich folks who live in the hill side up from Central all the way to The Peak, the South of Hong Kong Island where the nice beaches are, as well as some pockets in Kowloon.

As you might guess, the "vibe" of an area has a lot to do with the locals who live and play in that area. Therefore you should choose your hotel with that in mind.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 13, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:55 am

CP Kowloon East treats Plats very well too.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Happy
You should go to the big IC with your Chase certs. That is a no brainer.
Absolutely and with a toddler do try and get a room facing the harbour - although reports of proposed upgrade costs suggest you could buy a decent used small car in most of the world for what is asked.

The only other good option is CP in Causeway Bay. It impressed me and I was drawn to post a rare and positive review on TA. A Racecourse view room would keep a toddler amused for days - can't vouch for any unfortunate side effects in later life. But personally I find Causeway Bay dull and it really has become a hive of high end shopping malls. I'm sure a toddler would love the Trams outside the front door.

Forget the rest with possible exception of The Indigo.

A quick warning to other responders - the two Kowloon East property have shot up exponentially in price in the last month or so. The HIX is also regularly more expensive than The CP. China Lah
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:31 am

Thanks...

Thanks to all for the advise. They were all very helpful. LOL regarding the smoking comment at Indigo - yes, my toddler would definitely appreciate it. Decided to use the IHG reward nights at IC Sydney instead and Conrad for Hong Kong. We were planning on switching it around initially (Hilton Sydney and IC Hong Kong), but couldn't get the award nights to work at Hilton Sydney.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Accor Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Excellent choice ! Conrad HK is precisely why I never tried the IC... And the regarding the upscaleness discussion, Admiralty is definitely on top of that.

Originally Posted by mamak04:23367807
Thanks to all for the advise. They were all very helpful. LOL regarding the smoking comment at Indigo - yes, my toddler would definitely appreciate it. Decided to use the IHG reward nights at IC Sydney instead and Conrad for Hong Kong. We were planning on switching it around initially (Hilton Sydney and IC Hong Kong), but couldn't get the award nights to work at Hilton Sydney.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:40 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Hi all. I just read through the thread.

I'll be there for two nights/3 days, with a very late flight out of Hong Kong (11pm). It will be my first trip there, solo, and the Holiday Inn Golden Mile sounds like it might be a good idea for:

1) Lower point cost at 35K a night (although the IC's are 45K, so the gap isn't huge). I do not have a free night cert and don't have a ton of points, either. The rates have all gone up since most of this thread seems to be pre-devaluation.

2) Central location according to some (I'd like to see the city highlights during this brief trip). Is this a location that is walkable?

3) Free breakfast (I'm a Plat) and perhaps a welcome gift too.

4) Relatively easy airport transport on the bus-- transport costs do not seem exorbitant.

Do I have these factors right? Is late check out possible? Do you consider this to be centrally located for a first time visitor?

I'm keeping an eye on the finances so luxury isn't paramount, but I don't want to end up taking cabs for everything, either. If the IC's or other hotels are in better locations, than it might be worth spending the extra points and not having to take cabs. Any input would be welcome.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Hi all. I just read through the thread.

I'll be there for two nights/3 days, with a very late flight out of Hong Kong (11pm). It will be my first trip there, solo, and the Holiday Inn Golden Mile sounds like it might be a good idea for:

1) Lower point cost at 35K a night (although the IC's are 45K, so the gap isn't huge). I do not have a free night cert and don't have a ton of points, either. The rates have all gone up since most of this thread seems to be pre-devaluation.

2) Central location according to some (I'd like to see the city highlights during this brief trip). Is this a location that is walkable?

3) Free breakfast (I'm a Plat) and perhaps a welcome gift too.

4) Relatively easy airport transport on the bus-- transport costs do not seem exorbitant.

Do I have these factors right? Is late check out possible? Do you consider this to be centrally located for a first time visitor?

I'm keeping an eye on the finances so luxury isn't paramount, but I don't want to end up taking cabs for everything, either. If the IC's or other hotels are in better locations, than it might be worth spending the extra points and not having to take cabs. Any input would be welcome.
The ICs arent 45k the HKIC is 45k, while the Grand Stanford is 50k why I dont know especially when the HKIC always costs more

For someone who wants to use the A21 bus to/from HKG the HKIC is great, from HKG get off 1 stop after The one for The Sheraton/HI Golden Mile theres a lift take it down cross under the Salisbury Rd and take the lift up and walk up to the IC. Back to HKG walk down to Salisbury turn Right walk a few feet bingo the 1st bus stop is the A21. Youre also apx 10-15 mins closer to The Star Ferry and Nathan Rd

Only negs is its an IC so being Plat usually gets you just a free drink, no lounge access, free breakfast or upgardes

HIGM, stayed there 1 time liked it alot more then the Sheraton and it was 25k then.But no views to speak of except the buildings right next to it

In Feb I stayed again at the ICHK and once again had a large room facing the city, would have been a jr suite at the HI. Next time will be back there again, loved the infinity hot tubs by the ppol, only problem was it was too misty to have have really enjoyed them the last trip, too cold/hot outside or windy theres great viewing of the 8pm light show from most of the lobby with 2 story windows

The walk between the HIGM & HKIC is maybe 10 mins, but you cross Salisbury Rd by going down to the subway or walk to Nathan Rd and cross over and then walk up Nathan and cross over Nathan at the next light. You can enter the HIGM off Nathan once you know where the entrance is instead of walking around to the main entrance on Mody.IMO you cant go wrong with either, definitely the ICHK if using only certs
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Only negs is its an IC so being Plat usually gets you just a free drink, no lounge access, free breakfast or upgardes.
I've stayed at the IC HK last november as a platinum member and on points.

I was given a free drink voucher, an upgrade (deluxe harbour view room) and late check-out (4:00 pm). Howsoever no free breakfast or lounge access (discounted rate (700 HKD was offered though).

I'd stay there again. The infinity tubs are convincing and so is the location right at the Avenue of Stars with a fantastic view on the skyline.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BorussiaMG
I've stayed at the IC HK last november as a platinum member and on points.

I was given a free drink voucher, an upgrade (deluxe harbour view room) and late check-out (4:00 pm). Howsoever no free breakfast or lounge access (discounted rate (700 HKD was offered though).

I'd stay there again. The infinity tubs are convincing and so is the location right at the Avenue of Stars with a fantastic view on the skyline.
I never needed a late checkout so I never asked, as for UPs yea it does occur time to time but isnt something a person should count on, especially to a harbour view, even more so if they are there for more then 1 night. But its been mentioned several times by folks that they got a harbour view room, just too few for a person to think they will score one.

Ive always gotten a very large room (upgrade) but city view and thats AOK with me, then again Im staying bet 3-4 nights and prefer that to the upgrade I had at the HIGM even with a free breakfast
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by craz
I never needed a late checkout so I never asked, as for UPs yea it does occur time to time but isnt something a person should count on, especially to a harbour view, even more so if they are there for more then 1 night.
True. I just wanted to share my experience.

I have not been to the HI GM and can not compare it. But I would stay at the IC HK again if available on points without questioning other hotels.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:19 am

HIGM v ICHK

All the IHG hotels in HK are reasonably Central except the 2 at Kowloon East.

There is a massive difference in quality between ICHK and the HIGM. The IC is a very superior IC. The HIGM is a decentish HI.

IF points are your objective HIE Soho. I hate it but is is usually only 20,000 points and very walkable to areas of interest. The breakfast is dreadful.

The Indigo is a nice hotel and often decent value for cash.

With status the Crowne Plaza at Causeway Bay is very good. They normally upgrade to Club floor equivalent and a decent room. Very good breakfast too. But its cash price can be comparatively ridiculous. I have tried to get a discount for guaranteed nights per year and they don't even reply.

The Grand Stanford is an enigma. Can be cheap for an IC for cash. As previously stated inflated points price.

The best you will get as a late checkout is 4P as an Ambassador at The IC's. Otherwise likely 2P. Personally I would go for Towers at The Sheraton with a flight at that time - they will normally still let you use the lounge.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:31 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Modo
All the IHG hotels in HK are reasonably Central except the 2 at Kowloon East.

There is a massive difference in quality between ICHK and the HIGM. The IC is a very superior IC. The HIGM is a decentish HI.
Having stayed at the HI GM a few times, while the location is adequate, I find the IC GS to be a much better choice and value for the money, since the IC HK is much more expensive. The HI GM has small rooms, no views of anything, and frequently is not much cheaper than the IC GS. Plus, I have been underwhelmed with the HI's PLT recognition, whereas the IC GS has always been great, even when I was AMB vs RA.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by rbAA
Having stayed at the HI GM a few times, while the location is adequate, I find the IC GS to be a much better choice and value for the money, since the IC HK is much more expensive. .
On points, the IC GS is 50K, the IC HK is 45K and the HIGM is 35K.

Thanks all for this very helpful input.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
On points, the IC GS is 50K, the IC HK is 45K and the HIGM is 35K.

These three hotels are all Kowloon side of The Harbour.

As a first time visitor the tourist interest is mostly Island side. It isn't a difficult journey and by Star Ferry it is a must at least once but it will add some travelling and connection time. Kowloon side is best at dusk and for the light show at 8p - that said it is a bit Jean Michel Jarre dated!

And yes the points price of the HIGS is enigmatic. The CP Causeway Bay on the other hand is just inflated.

As a first time HK visitor it is the mesmerising Harbor Views that linger. For a cash price consider Butterfly on Waterfront on The Island - rooms are a bit small but you will get a good view of the Western end of The Harbour. The International brand hotels in HK are massively over priced compared to very good local boutique brands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.