Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Account closed without any reason (might be: registering for targeted promotion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account closed without any reason (might be: registering for targeted promotion)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by iamthehpt
I believe he is saying that he will move his stays from IHG to Club Carlson.
The Internets have destroyed my reading skills. Nothing to see here, move along
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
I would be shocked if they cancel accounts with a decent amount of spend.. The website shouldnt take the code if not eligable.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: SQ
I usually don't stack too many codes, but I did recently and got a ton of points. For some reason my stay the next day didn't get any of the bonus points, even though many of the codes were valid for multiple stays.....
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I've been stacking codes for a long time and getting hundred of thousands of bonus points per year and have never run into any problems. IHG knows about my account because they audited it twice in late 2013, once because I bought points on points.com and they thought it was suspicious and once because I asked them to loan me a few points for an upcoming award stay.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
If they close ALL accounts which have used a promo code for which they were not targeted, I fear that a LOT of FTers may have accounts closed.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:13 pm

??

Originally Posted by valdor
I've been stacking codes for a long time and getting hundred of thousands of bonus points per year and have never run into any problems. IHG knows about my account because they audited it twice in late 2013, once because I bought points on points.com and they thought it was suspicious and once because I asked them to loan me a few points for an upcoming award stay.
You asked them to loan you some points? never heard of that and what did they say? How does that even work?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mowake
You asked them to loan you some points? never heard of that and what did they say? How does that even work?
Hmm, I know with KLM (Flying Blue), if I try to book an award flight, AND am a little short on my miles, KLM generously allow us Elite to underpay by upto 10% , so I can book a 100k Award flight if my balance is only 90K, and my account would then go negative -10K, and miles debt reduced by future flights.

For IHG, just guessing as Dec2013 BigWin bonus triggered, but points needed before they would ever get posted by IHG? Wonder if IHG offered the loan OR if FTer asked for Loan ??
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:33 pm

I just had 4 stays recently post to my account and 4 more that have yet to post. The points earned from each stay have all been different so far. I just went down the line and put all of the codes in. My first stay only got 1.5k bonus pts, my second got 17k bonus points, my third got 1k bonus points, and my fourth got 8k bonus points. I had no idea that I may be breaking the terms by using promo codes. One of the biggest benefits of shopping on line is the huge amount of deals that can be found if you look. To me stacking promo codes is just like finding a deal. If something was erroneous with the deal, why wouldn't IHG just invalidate and take points back similar to how they would give your money back if they made a mistake and let you book a room for a ridiculously low rate. They wouldn't close your account for trying to take advantage of them. Nothing about that situation seems right. I would go out of my way to a avoid any IHG brand if they really are starting to treat customers like that and close people's accounts without so much as a warning. We have also earned a lot of points spending money in their hotels and restaurants.

Last edited by InHere; Jan 16, 2014 at 12:44 pm
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by InHere
I just had 4 stays recently post to my account and 4 more that have yet to post. The points earned from each stay have all been different so far. I just went down the line and put all of the codes in.
Wow. Good luck.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Well, I can honestly say that I did not know registering for promos you weren't targeted for, was wrong. Maybe it's my Nordic countries background and I'm used to state or some other institution guiding me with invisible hand so things I am not supposed to do just can't be done And registering for most of the promos sure is possible to do!

My account is not closed either and as I travel a lot on business, it would be stupid of them to do that. But IF they are closing accounts for this reason only, why don't they send warning e-mails like "stop doing that or we have to close your account" first or something?

Anyway, I registered for 2014 codes and now my first 2014 stay has posted - as a non-qualifying which is clearly wrong. But is it possible they do that on purpose to not trigger all those promo points? And if I choose to fill a missing stay report, they will notice my registrations and close my account? Or am I just being paranoid here?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:15 pm

LOL...that's the most absurd stuff I have ever heard. What if the 'points loaner' doesn't return his 'points debt'? IHG will auction his IHG account? If that's real, it could only be found in IHG I guess...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion
It seems being a Platinum member, I enrolled in a promo code that was not targetted for Platinum members... Amazed at how they treat their Platinums...
As a result they charged me of abusing the program...i argued with them that they should fix their system to error out during the registration process if a member is not eligible for that promotion

Holding a platinum status has no meaning in Priority Club. They simply don't care. Act accordingly and ignore the gnomes. There are much better hotel chains arround!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by iamthehpt
If they close ALL accounts which have used a promo code for which they were not targeted, I fear that a LOT of FTers may have accounts closed.
LOOOL
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I didn't thought it was possible either but when I asked if there was a way I could make an award booking without actually having the points they told me they would loan them to me and that my account would simply be allowed to go into the negative (-75898). They told me the points I will earn in the future will go towards paying the loan.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:21 pm

Does it say anywhere if you are not targeted for a promo don't use it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.