FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Account closed without any reason (might be: registering for targeted promotion) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1541827-account-closed-without-any-reason-might-registering-targeted-promotion.html)

deadly_scorpion Jan 15, 2014 8:47 am

Account closed without any reason (might be: registering for targeted promotion)

Called IHG Rewards to cancel one of my reservation and they told me my account was closed and they cannot do anything.. I had 300k points and all of them were normal stays .. Not sure what the issue is... Totally lost

"GOT MY ACCOUNT REINSTATED FINALLY AFTER MULTIPLE CALLS TO THE CUSTOMER CARE..GIVEN A FINAL WARNING AS WELL"

Often1 Jan 15, 2014 9:23 am

Is this all that ocurred on the call? Did you ask why?

TheBeerHunter Jan 15, 2014 9:36 am

Based on the recent posts of this nature, it sounds like IHG is doing a sweep of odd behavior and closing accounts accordingly. @:-)

kauppias Jan 15, 2014 9:38 am

So if you play around the rules best cash in your points soon :)

deadly_scorpion Jan 15, 2014 10:05 am

Account closed without any reason

It seems being a Platinum member, I enrolled in a promo code that was not targetted for Platinum members... Amazed at how they treat their Platinums...
As a result they charged me of abusing the program...i argued with them that they should fix their system to error out during the registration process if a member is not eligible for that promotion

Dolphinyong Jan 15, 2014 10:37 am

Originally Posted by deadly_scorpion (Post 22159666)
It seems being a Platinum member, I enrolled in a promo code that was not targetted for Platinum members... Amazed at how they treat their Platinums...
As a result they charged me of abusing the program...i argued with them that they should fix their system to error out during the registration process if a member is not eligible for that promotion

Did you have any stay in 2014 with the promotion code posted here yet?

:D! Jan 15, 2014 11:33 am

Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter (Post 22159462)
Based on the recent posts of this nature, it sounds like IHG is doing a sweep of odd behavior and closing accounts accordingly. @:-)

So should we avoid stacking promo codes...? Was planning on adding a long list of numbers just before my next stay.

Often1 Jan 15, 2014 11:51 am

And there you have it. You intentionally violated the t&c of the program and they've fired you as a customer. Choose another program and stick to the rules the next time and all will be well.

Note: Why not include this stuff in your OP. It explains exactly why IHG did what they did.

Dolphinyong Jan 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 22160400)
And there you have it. You intentionally violated the t&c of the program and they've fired you as a customer. Choose another program and stick to the rules the next time and all will be well.

Note: Why not include this stuff in your OP. It explains exactly why IHG did what they did.

I'm just curious, you really didn't register for those promo codes. It's so hard to restrict myself from registering for those free points...

mobilemario Jan 15, 2014 12:59 pm

Unbelievable! My girlfriend has also stacked some promo codes and she had her account closed.
I bet at least 50% of members are stacking up these promo codes.
Has anyone ever seen a warning on these blogs about using them?
Why this is not clearly stated anywhere?

Dave Noble Jan 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by mobilemario (Post 22160887)
Unbelievable! My girlfriend has also stacked some promo codes and she had her account closed.
I bet at least 50% of members are stacking up these promo codes.
Did anyone ever so a warning on these blogs about using them?
Why this is not clearly stated anywhere?

I don't believe that anywhere close to 50% of members are registering for targetted promotion codes for which they were not targetted

Why would it need to be stated anywhere. If you are targetted for a promotion , then you will be informed by IHG. If it is a public promotion it is typically mentioned on the IHG site

Start trawling the internet looking for codes targetted for other people and is hardly accidental

fireworksboy Jan 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Sad story but promo register beware. It's always been a risk and I've always lived by the motto that (I know, I've said it a million times) - pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

Sorry for the op but rules is rules. Bend them and you (and I) put our piles of points at risk.

mikew99 Jan 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Except that registering for targeted promos isn't explicitly prohibited by the T&C. Of course, as with most programs, IHG can cancel any member's account for any reason that IHG (in their sole opinion) sees fit to, and we have no recourse.

If you do anything that IHG does not like (such as fat-fingering a promo code, using BRG one too many times, or pretty much anything else), IHG can close your account -- and that is in the T&C.

This (along with the constant devaluation of points) is why I recommend never amassing a large amount of points in any one program. With 300K points, the risk becomes too great. Use 'em or lose 'em.

techoin Jan 15, 2014 1:43 pm

I bet most of us here have registered for atleast some of these promo codes...but it does not sound fair that IHG is just closing the accounts unilaterally ...firstly they let people register for these promos..even if they let register, the promotions stack and points are posted...this is happening for god know how long and now suddenly they want to close all such accounts taking away points even from the legitimate stays.

if they think this is such a big abuse, how difficult it is to fix those in their system but they choose to go other route and let customer stay, take the money, post those points and let it happen again and again and one fine day close the account and take all the points. This only means either they have enough business so they do not care for these less profitable customers now or they have significantly large liabilities due to so many points promotions and they see it as easy way to reduce the same. They can very well deduct such points from the promotions if they want.

This needs to be taken up seriously. Everyone is best judge of their situation but I am not feeling comfortable to give any of my future stays unless there are absolutely no options as who know there is some T&C condition which gets violated by me unknowingly and one day I loose all of the hard earned rewards

azepine00 Jan 15, 2014 1:48 pm

i dont buy for a moment this is because of promo registration..
perhaps multiple accounts, perhaps some other explicit violation of t&c - i doubt people will tell the full story