Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Pointbreaks discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: ICH Plt Royal Amb, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Plat, HHons,
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's did come out on Friday! See 7 posts above yours! There's a link there to a blog about it, and that blog has a link to the actual preview page (which I believe is the same page that will have the real list on Tuesday).
I think the poster is referring to the full preview list not just the sample teaser which did come out as you say on Friday, the sample with it small selection does not give us much time to plan flights etc ready for booking. I'm guessing as it American Holidays this weekend we will not get the full list until Tuesday.
Old May 25, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
It's did come out on Friday! See 7 posts above yours! There's a link there to a blog about it, and that blog has a link to the actual preview page (which I believe is the same page that will have the real list on Tuesday).

But just a few examples of what will be are on the list and Full preview list is still not available, Usually Partial preview comes on Thurs. and full preview on FRi.
Since partial preview came on Fri it would have been assumed that full preview would have been Saturday but it still isn't available. Also normal booking starts on Monday but this time will be Tues. since the Holiday. Hope we get a full preview today or tomorrow
Old May 25, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Do you mind showing me where the preview list is? I checked the page thoroughly and I couldn't see any list apart from the 7 hotels mentioned. I guess I might have missed something.

TIA!
Old May 25, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: SQ
I don't understand why the blogs are getting a heads up. Why does IHG think the blogs are ambassadors for everyone interested in the PB list? Why should they be given more traffic as a result of IHG giving them a heads up?
Old May 25, 2014, 10:33 am

From the blog post: "There are 150 hotels on the PointBreaks list that we hopefully get hands on over the weekend. Here’s the preview list provided by IHG:"

That is not the full preview list, normally all 150 hotels would be on it. Looks like we will just find out when the list goes live on Tuesday morning.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
It's crazy that so many hotels on the current list still have 5k point nights available after two months, even the IC Marine Drive is available for half the remaining nights, Wednesday and Thursday nights for example. Why do so many people only look to book the first day the list comes out?
Old May 26, 2014, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I don't understand why the blogs are getting a heads up. Why does IHG think the blogs are ambassadors for everyone interested in the PB list? Why should they be given more traffic as a result of IHG giving them a heads up?
Point Breaks are a marketing tool. The more they get people excited about IHG, the more money they should hypothetically make. Releasing a teaser list to blogs just helps their goal.
Old May 26, 2014, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
It's crazy that so many hotels on the current list still have 5k point nights available after two months, even the IC Marine Drive is available for half the remaining nights, Wednesday and Thursday nights for example. Why do so many people only look to book the first day the list comes out?
Many properties on the list are just not as popular. I've seen IC's in many less popular tourist destinations available til the end.
Old May 26, 2014, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It is possible that releasing the full list in advance made it easy for our Chinese friends to write their bit of code and hoover up all the nights at certain hotels quickly before reselling them on Weibo.
Old May 26, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Common marketing tactic is to give blogs an "exclusive". Now we have 10 blogs going, "I have the sneak peak".
Kinda like that scene in zoro with all the old men stepping up, "I'm the real zoro."
Now IHG gets all these blogs to write about their promotion multiple times.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
2014 Pointbreaks discussion

So are they not releasing the full list?
Old May 26, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
So are they not releasing the full list?
Evidently IHG will not release the complete list until it goes live tomorrow. Traditionally, what time does that happen?

Last edited by Middle_Seat; May 26, 2014 at 10:37 am
Old May 26, 2014, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
It is possible that releasing the full list in advance made it easy for our Chinese friends to write their bit of code and hoover up all the nights at certain hotels quickly before reselling them on Weibo.
Oh yes, only Chinese people write code
Old May 26, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Evidently IHG will not release the complete list until it goes live tomorrow. Traditionally, what time does that happen?
For the skilled travel hackers, there is definitely no benefit to having it released in advance except for greater competition for top hotels.

We used to search for 5k availability city by city and book them before the list was even published on the IHG website......
Old May 26, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Quote:

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat

For the skilled travel hackers, there is definitely no benefit to having it released in advance except for greater competition for top hotels.

We used to search for 5k availability city by city and book them before the list was even published on the IHG website......
Old school...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.