Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you changed your hotel stay pattern due to PC devaluations?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum RA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I let my RA membership lapse when I wasn't able to use the free weekend night certificate on multiple attempts because they have now become capacity controlled. This was a MAJOR devaluation for me. I didn't whine when they removed the suite stay option but when you then had to go to a different website to book a certificate rate it removed AAA rates and other more cost friendly options so I moved mostly to SPG and Hyatt. I spend over 200 nights/year on the road so I had always been SPG Plat and have been Hyatt Diamond for the past two years as well. I find that I get much better value from those two programs.

If the weekend night certificates hadn't been capacity controlled I would have done my typical 80+ nights last year. I think I finished up with 50 or so.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by studio253
I let my RA membership lapse when I wasn't able to use the free weekend night certificate on multiple attempts because they have now become capacity controlled.
While often these rates are poor value for money, AFAIK they are offered for all unsold room types without any capacity control (and equal to the Best Flexible rates). If you can't use your BOGO, most probably it's because IHG's IT department in general and their web site in particular are pathetic.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: ICH plat RA,HH Dia
seriously considering change

after 20+ years of solid IC group support, and a recent additional focus on IC hotels (with reduced travel these days) I'm seriously considering a switch.With 10 stays so far, almost 70% less point value from last year. At this rate 60-70 stays seem hardly worth it compared to what I see elsewhere. Wow I've never seen it this bad.....
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I started IHG mostly for the ability to earn a lot of points for reward nights, but I will be moving on after the two years of points devaluations and the recent dearth of promo codes that used to enable one to get a boatload of points on each stay. Now that it's much harder to rack up free nights, I'd rather move my stays to a chain that has better elite benefits. For now I'll just be burning through the balance of my points.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat/Amb, Hilton Gold, Acor Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I've been RA for 3 years, but have decided to move all my business to Hilton who Status mached me to Gold. I am writing this from the Park Lane Hilton. I get free Internet, upgraded to suite 2 out of 3 times, Club lounge, breakfast in the main restraunt. And all for a rate thats 50%+ lower than IC across the road. I had a good run With IC, but it's time to say goodbye.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
I've ended up moving most of my business to Starwood and Hilton - whilst the points are not as generous as PC used to be, I like the fact I'm consistently getting elite member benefits. With PC becoming far less generous and benefits still difficult to come by, I can't see any reason to chose IHG properties unless the location is perfect.

I'll retain Platinum through the Visa card, and if things improve I might consider returning.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by studio253
I let my RA membership lapse when I wasn't able to use the free weekend night certificate on multiple attempts because they have now become capacity controlled. This was a MAJOR devaluation for me. I didn't whine when they removed the suite stay option but when you then had to go to a different website to book a certificate rate it removed AAA rates and other more cost friendly options so I moved mostly to SPG and Hyatt. I spend over 200 nights/year on the road so I had always been SPG Plat and have been Hyatt Diamond for the past two years as well. I find that I get much better value from those two programs.

If the weekend night certificates hadn't been capacity controlled I would have done my typical 80+ nights last year. I think I finished up with 50 or so.
For me the RA cert has become a waste not because of capacity controls (which I do run into), but the ridiculous rates they charge.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
For me the RA cert has become a waste not because of capacity controls (which I do run into), but the ridiculous rates they charge.
IMHO bogo best worth using when booking near date of stay, when hotel has only flex rates, with no advance rate available to book, or the second night is a much higher rate. I book at least 50% of my stays late on flex.

IC London Park lane flexi rate is £75 higher than advance rate so with eg cheapest weekend IC PL advance rate 2nights is only £350 versus 1x flex night at £225 + 1x bogo night.
I save my weekend certs to reduce 2 night flexi rate stay from eg £450 to £225 a bigger saving.

I have yet to need/take advantage of my second bogo night being a substantially higher rate than my first night, but I live in hope.
Of course this is when one is more likely to not be able to use due to capacity controls.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:04 am

Have you changed your hotel stay pattern due to PC devaluations?
Yes. Paid stays were 40+/year the past few years. In 2013, have only used points thus far at the old valuations and may do 10 paid nights tops; this will evidently be my final year for PC Platinum. I find it astounding how virtually every significant downgrade that has arrived in the past year failed to bring even one single temporary benefit to offset the added costs and eliminated perks for Platinum members. This screams that IHG simply does not care about their most loyal patrons.

To summarize the Pros and Cons of PC membership, starting with the side IHG corporate and their marketing gurus value most:

Cons
1. Watered-down benefits. As a platinum, room upgrades are rare. Don't care too much for the free bottled water and occasional chocolate bar. More and more, I find myself simply paying for precisely the room I want with the benefits desired (ex: breakfast, sea view, corner room, fridge, suite etc.) and getting exactly that, no more. Who suffers most? The regular traveller seeking modest recognition and perhaps a small perk for their loyalty.

2. Hefty points devaluations at prime properties (for example, one of my favorite HI properties located in downtown Toronto doubled from 15k to 30k for 2013). Who suffers most? The regular savvy urban traveller looking to spend points at attractive properties.

3. Only base points count towards status. Who suffers most? The regular traveller looking to rack up loyalty points and recognition.

4. Bonus points offers, contests and 4-digit codes have all but been eliminated. Racking up points is no fun anymore. Who suffers most? The regular traveller looking to rack up loyalty points.

5. Tightening of qualifying rates (for example, Ent. card rates - even if only 5-10% off best rates), are automatically non-qualifying. In the past, they were accepted with points awarded, as I am still paying 90%+ the regular room rate and should not be treated the same as an off-site 50% off deal from Priceline etc. Who suffers most? The regular traveller looking to rack up loyalty points.

6. The 5k Pointbreaks list has eroded to the point it consists mainly of undesirable roadside HIX and CS properties looking for a convenient occupancy boost. At this rate, the program will likely be abolished in the next year or so. Who suffers most? The regular traveller looking to spend earned points at worthwhile properties.

7. Missing points and technical issues have skyrocketed. Often, targeted Stay X, Earn Y and similar offers have been removed from the status bar or had incorrect information (always on the side of undervaluing your business), forcing one to contact customer service and hope the agent is as aware of their own promotions as a customer (which is rare). Properties with 10k bonus point rates still have to be entered manually (why?) and thus also require a call to customer service. Who suffers most? The regular traveller looking to rack up earned points in a timely, hassle-free manner.

Pros
1. Some run-down rural highway HIX and CS properties I would not even consider on 5k Pointbreaks have been reduced from 25k to 20k (or similar). A handful of ICs have been modestly cut from 50k to 45k, still a very steep cost unless there is a major event taking place. Who benefits the most? A slapdash traveller with no value orientation who doesn't mind grossly overpaying for stays.

Think that pretty well covers both sides of the ledger. Every single downgrade targets their most loyal, and accounts for why I am taking 80% of my business to HH and Carlson. Once again, IHG corporate dropped the ball. Be smart, vote with your wallet.

Last edited by stigs; Feb 18, 2013 at 11:04 pm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
No, I haven't

Why should I?

Paid stays

I still get the best treatment as RA at ICs compared to what I'm getting at Hilton or Radisson (Gold at both).

Reward stays

Getting excellent recognition as RA, basically the same as on paid stays.

Also - my hotel choice is not based on how do I get the most reward for paid stays, but how do I get most bang for the buck on those paid stays. Reward nights are a nice extra. And getting those are still easy with PC.

Yes they get devalued, as all loyalty programs do - think of Hilton last year, think of Marriott coming May, think of your favourite FFP. The grass may seem greener on the other side of the fence, but usually it isn't.

Last but not least - for ICHG bookings the usual cashback sites usually offer a much higher rate than for the others (think up to 14%) I get up to low 4-figure cashback on ICHG stays per year - on top of all the nice stays and rewards.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The two most frequent reasons for quitting PC seem to be:
  • Platinum status is without value
  • It has become more difficult to reach/maintain Platinum status

These are often cited in the same post.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Most definitely - moved over to SPG some time ago. Very happy - the only gripe I have is the lack of properties in Europe. Good luck ICH. Still AMB but will drop next year as i am barely doing 20 nights at ICH now.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by nicolas75
No change for me, as rewards stays are not my main motivation towards PC (Royal Ambassador is).

By the way, I think that all major hotel groups (and airlines) follow the same strategy regarding points [devaluation].

Not quite sure that grass is greener at other chains: PC is quite generous (not so difficult if you are really loyal to get a lot of points and maintain status), and Point Breaks is unbeatable.
I quite agree. PC is the most generous point-earning program.

a) Harder to achieve Platinum. Frankly Platinum has almost no value other than earning more points. It was super easy to achieve Platinum and now it is merely easy. It is still easier to achieve Platinum than it is top tier on HH or Marriott. I hope that by pruning the list of people who achieved Platinum by merely charging stuff on their PC credit card or staying 6 nights with a bonus program, that ICHG ends up with a meaningful number of Platinum members - and actually gives them something of value. Mind you, RA, which is a challenge for most people to achieve, has substantial value. Some people who have modest levels of stay will complain about the tougher levels but for me the tougher levels are actually a reason to stay with PC -- because I think Platinum might actually provide some value at some point.

b) Higher redemption levels. I find that the devaluations (primary concern is the 40K ICs which have risen to 50K award levels) have been offset by the change to 10 points per dollar for ICH hotels (currently only in North and Central America). So I'm earning even more points domestically and the implementation of the Ambassador Accelerator (Through which I've earned 500,000 points over the past 3 years alone). If they bring that same program in internationally, then the enhanced point-earning more than offsets the increase from 40K to 50K for certain hotels.

Frankly if you stay 80 nights a year and earn enough points for 20 free nights, that's a pretty damned good earnings ratio. Especially if those 20 free nights are in places like Bora-Bora, Paris, London, which go for over $500 a night. I doubt you would have that level of generosity in a competitor's program.

c) Fewer bonuses. I am disappointed that the bonuses have gotten less frequent, and more convoluted. Double and triple mileage promotions were great. Now it's stay at two different hotels on days with a full moon; hotels must be between 500 and 600 miles apart from one another; fax in your receipts, and you will get a $200 "travel voucher" which you have to call at 3 am, and talk to someone with a Bangalore accent, and is only good for a flight on Air Zimbabwe. Where do they come up with this nonsense?
And for us FTers, yeah, it's a big disappointing that you no longer have 500 random 4-digit codes to try, of which 16 actually give you some sort of bonus, averaging 1000 points. Yes, this was a good run, and FT was helpful. And I partook. And I will miss this. But, seriously, boys and girls, did these bonuses actually cause one to switch to (or from) the PC program? Really? I get more point value out of the Ambassador Accelerator and the "10 points per $1 charged at American ICs" program than I ever did out of the random promo codes. Now I don't feel like I am getting a special insider deal, but I do get more points.

Last edited by vsevolod4; Feb 19, 2013 at 3:41 pm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Despite looking to diversify my stays to other hotels, I have found pastures aren't greener there either - which was just confirmed by Hilton and others.

Furthermore Royal Ambassador remains an excellent program and a motivition to continue staying at ICs. For my region, I also cannot complain about the lack of platinum benefits.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...valuation.html

Made my day ))))))))))))

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.