Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza ANA Kyoto Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Stayed back in Apr. Booked standard room with points as a Platinum member and was upgraded to one of the renovated rooms on the 7th floor with two (twin?) beds at check-in. The check-in ladies were in pink kimonos - not sure if it was just for cherry blossom season or not. I was pretty tired even though I slept on the plane, still had to take the train (Hello Kitty train!) from Osaka and then the shuttle to the hotel.

The lobby was big, there was a model of the area around the hotel and a view of a grotto (saw a worker get into it near the parking lot to clean the glass). The shampoo/conditioner/bodywash were in Crown Plaza labeled travel sized bottles. The hand soap was ThisWorks though, so maybe it was that brand of soap too. BBC was the only channel in English and CNN was dubbed in Japanese.

On the lower floor were 3 vending machines - 7/11 branded where you can get sandwiches, rice balls, cold drinks, snacks (candy, nuts,chips) or cup of noodle. There was also a coffee vending machine down there too. I think there is a spa/onsen down there, there were a bunch of doors down there and vaguely remember something in the binder of info. But can't recall it now and didn't take pictures of it. I didn't eat there as I just picked food up or at Kyoto Station before/after playing tourist. They put Japan Times in the newspaper holder near each hotel door in the morning.

The shuttle was maroonish/purplish color, makes it easy to spot (there are 2-3 other hotel shuttles that park where they do at Kyoto Station). It takes ~15-20 minutes depending on traffic. It starts running at 7:40am from the hotel and ends just before 8PM, except on Saturdays when they run an extra hour to end just before 9pm. Scheduled for every 15 minutes.

Seating can get crowded if riders have lots of luggage so make sure you add time cushion if you have set reservations. One family tried to get on with not much time to catch their train and there was only 2 empty seats left. They needed 2 more. Hotel staff finally convinced them to take a taxi instead of telling other riders to get off for them since they had to catch the train. They really should have taken the taxi in the first place, as I doubt they got their train considering all the time they took arguing with everyone.

Anyway, it drops you off/picks up on the Hachijo Central side, once inside the station, you're pretty much in front of one of the Shinkansen gates and the JR lines to Nara are around the corner. Pic is from my window looking down at the hotel minibus/shuttle.

Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
You will find this problem ALL over Japan with different hotel chains. It's very common for hotels in Japan to only refurbish only 1 or 2 floors instead of the whole hotel. It's a 100% Japanese being as stingy as possible thing....not really an issue related just to IHG properties.

That said, there are plenty of normal sized refurbished rooms (that are not suites) on the 7th floor...as a spire member you really should have been automatically allocated one of these at check-in, unless the hotel was full.
They were indeed sold out of standard refurbished rooms but I really don't think upgrading a spire member to a junior suite should be that much of an ask. The non refurbished deluxe room I stayed in the first night was supposedly an upgrade because it was on the 4th floor, rather than being on the 2nd or 3rd floor. How that makes it an upgrade I have no idea. There was no view.

I have complained to IHG about this stay because I don't think the first room was acceptable for their brand. Old and dated rooms are annoying but acceptable but non-functioning air conditioning, in 90 degree+ heat, in a Crowne Plaza is not acceptable imo. Especially when it is clearly a widespread problem for non refurbished rooms at this hotel.
rt23456p and TravelinSperry like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does Spire even get free breakfast here? I am finding trouble deciding what perks, if any, Spire members get when compared to other programs. I am looking for a modern room and free breakfast (and hoping for club lounge, but that's not a published perk). This property seems to be poor on all of those fronts especially since there is no convenient bus from ITM or train station late evening?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does Spire even get free breakfast here? I am finding trouble deciding what perks, if any, Spire members get when compared to other programs. I am looking for a modern room and free breakfast (and hoping for club lounge, but that's not a published perk). This property seems to be poor on all of those fronts especially since there is no convenient bus from ITM or train station late evening?
No breakfast. No lounge unless you are placed on that floor. I'm spire and I wasn't. And the "lounge" is supposedly soft drinks and nuts.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
The hotel has a metro station nearby if you are coming late at night.
It's the Nijo castle stop called "Nijojo-mae"

Spire has ZERO guaranteed benefits except extra points.
If you want other guaranteed benefits like free breakfast and lounge access pick another hotel program.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Ever the optomist, I have decided decided to try and book a Japan trip and take advantage of the current lack of reservations. However, I cannot decide whether I should stay in Kyoto or Osaka when I am in the area. My itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 - arrive late Kyoto
Day 2 - Nara - evening in Osaka
Day 3 - Eastern Kyoto
Day 4 - Arashiyama
Day 5 - Himeya - Northern Kyoto
Day 6 - Leave early

At the moment, I do have CP Kyoto booked but I have heard it is actually not in a great position for what I want to do and when I look at Osaka it looks like a better hotel as ideally I would have more evenings in Osaka.

Is there anyone here that has been to both hotels and maybe knows the area a little able to give any advice about the pros and cons of each and what kind of commute times I could expect? Should I stick with Kyoto or should I go for Osaka?

TIA for any replies.
Old May 31, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: all
if you like Japanese garden, then you will be happy here. Get a castle view room, go to top floor to have BBQ and beer in the evening, go to castle in the morning after breakfast, you will have a good time. You should schedule min 2 hours for the castle because you will like it and want to walk around it.

the subway is within one minute walk but I didn’t try it so I don’t know. The hotel has shuttle to go to train station. I never go to Osaka from here.

Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
Ever the optomist, I have decided decided to try and book a Japan trip and take advantage of the current lack of reservations. However, I cannot decide whether I should stay in Kyoto or Osaka when I am in the area. My itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 - arrive late Kyoto
Day 2 - Nara - evening in Osaka
Day 3 - Eastern Kyoto
Day 4 - Arashiyama
Day 5 - Himeya - Northern Kyoto
Day 6 - Leave early

At the moment, I do have CP Kyoto booked but I have heard it is actually not in a great position for what I want to do and when I look at Osaka it looks like a better hotel as ideally I would have more evenings in Osaka.

Is there anyone here that has been to both hotels and maybe knows the area a little able to give any advice about the pros and cons of each and what kind of commute times I could expect? Should I stick with Kyoto or should I go for Osaka?

TIA for any replies.
not2017 likes this.
Old May 31, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by curiositykillsacat
if you like Japanese garden, then you will be happy here. Get a castle view room, go to top floor to have BBQ and beer in the evening, go to castle in the morning after breakfast, you will have a good time. You should schedule min 2 hours for the castle because you will like it and want to walk around it.

the subway is within one minute walk but I didn’t try it so I don’t know. The hotel has shuttle to go to train station. I never go to Osaka from here.
Thanks! It sounds like I am best of sticking with my Kyoto booking.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:09 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
Enigma368
This CP is used by a lot of tour groups. These packages are rather low cost and offered to mainland Chinese. Rather than redoing all the rooms and having them abused by people only paying $100/night. Instead they have 2 inventories, one for individuals and one for groups. The renovated rooms are very nice. Definitely geared to business travellers. My company uses this hotel as its only property in Kyoto. I have only stayed in a renovated room. The shuttle to the train station is this hotel's redeeming quality. At 30K points a night, it is a steal in Japan, when staying in renovated room.
rt23456p and simpleone like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Any recent stay reports, and/or insights on the chances of an upgrade to a renovated room when booking a points stay as a Plat during the week between Christmas and New Years?
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:16 pm
formerly rt23456p

Diamond with IHG and Plat with Marriott, ANA Kyoto Crowne Plaza or Hiyorin Chapter Kyoto? Which hotel should I stay at? Both hotel more or less offers the same price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.