Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2008)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2008)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: Lots O Metal
IC Singapore (2nd Stay)

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Identical results from last post

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked a deluxe room(38SQM), and upgraded to a premier room(58SQM). After inquiring about the upgrade (which was not at all at odds with the RA T&C's) they seem to adhere strictly to the 2-category upgrades.

How are the rooms?

Nicely appointed 'L' shaped room on the 4th floor directly off lift. L'Occitane T's, standard welcome gift.

How is the exec. lounge?

Inquired this time, and was not entitled to use it.

What was good and what was bad?

Good:

Same as listed before, and the staff are really quite friendly and helpful. At checkout, there was quite a long chat with the staff there, which was no doubt sincere on their part.

Bad:

No real complaints at all. It does appear that they have adopted a new policy on upgrades. If a shophouse suite is desired, a shophouse room must be booked, according to GR.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Yes
Old Feb 2, 2008, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by aquaguy
Maybe another thread giving technical support could be opened for that.
That would be nice indeed. Skype is the bee's knees, and is a must-have on the road. Down with the greedy telecoms fumbling in the greasy till...
Old Feb 3, 2008, 3:29 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
IC Bangkok

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes overall no complaints

Booked a deluxe room and got exactly that, however, they assigned me one of the refurbished ones which are quite nice IMHO. I need to mention that I was on Points Breaks booking for 5K points in which case they will tell you that they do not grant any RA benefits except the late check-out. Oh well.

How are the rooms?

Nicely appointed in dark brown colors with some lighter elements in it too. To me it looked very pleasant. Flat screen TV, I-Pod hookup, DVD or stero - don't remember. Working desk and little sofa. Bathroom has separate shower and bathtub - still good looking.

How is the exec. lounge?

It is quite nice and big with good food offerings (I know from prev. visits) but this time not entitled to use it.

Good:

5K points rate was a gem (now gone) and I can live with the Deluxe room as long as it is a refurbished one. On a $$$ stay I expect the upgrades and full RA benefits though which they will give incl. Club access (upgrade is Deluxe room to Club room in that case). Got a bottle of Red wine as a gift together with the fruits and an Ambassador present.

Bad:

No real complaints at all. Full RA benefits would be nice of course and some hotels like the IC Bali will grant them even on a Points Breaks stay (I was there over Xmas with full benefits).

No doubt at 5K points. On paid stays I would also return due to RA benefits though the rates have been creeping up continiously for the rooms.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:21 am

IC MidPlaza (Jakarta)

Yes

Booked a Studio Suite Club IC (USD220) and upgraded to an executive corner suite w / club access

How are the rooms?

Nice two-room suite with two full marble bathrooms and corner view. A very comfy bed as well. Welcome gift included a very nice fruit plate with all the locals, a nicely arranged glass plate of truffles, and a bottle of Australian Shiraz.

How is the exec. lounge?

Very nice. Evening spread could easily be made into a dinner.

Good:

Nice professional staff both at check in and the club. One of the nicer set of welcome gifts I've received.

Bad:

The Ethernet was not working in my room. Until I found that there was an alternate connection in the bedroom, I had to use the business centre downstairs.

Indeed.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:28 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
IC Tahiti

Yes, very much so.

Booked King Bed Garden view room on points, 2 nights. Received a King Jr Suite Over Water Bungalow Room - 508. ^ Was informed of this ahead of time via email. This is their highest category short of the Panoramic Suite, which is in the main building and we were offered but declined.

How are the rooms?
Excellent. Large jacuzzi / soaking tub (big enough for 2 or 3 people ) Different shower configuration with no true door to speak of. Next to the tub so even with the sliding "door" closed there was still an open side where the tub abutted it. Large workdesk, excellent bed, sitting / powder area - wife says perfect for makeup. Large couch and sitting area. Full mini-bar but beer only, no wine or liquor. :-: Best part was the baclony / sundeck and platform from which you could swim in the ~10ft lagoon water.

How is the exec. lounge?
-Isn't one

What was good?
-Great upgrade to OTW bungalow on points.
-Given choice of suite (in main hotel) or OTW Jr Suite ^ nice touch
-Everything used from mini-bar was free, including nuts on points. (Didn't ask about the food. Just figured we'd pay for that if they charged us)
-Great communication from the hotel via email
-Hotel arranged shuttle to Papeete much cheaper ($8 US rt) vs taxi ($18 rt)
-Welcome gift was large plate of local fresh fruit, a shirt for me (of the hotel) and a sarong for wifey

What was bad?
-No liquor or wine in mini-bar
-Lotus Restaurant (Michelen 3 star rated), swim up bar and pool (1 of 2) closed during our stay
-No gym or workout facilities, although the hotel has laid out a 1km running trail through and around the hotel
-Not really bad but nearly a 15 minute walk from room to main part of hotel area. Just an FYI
-No robes in room

What was missed?
A club lounge would be nice but no hotel in French Polynesia (IC chain at least) has one

Even at 40k/nt it was a great value for me as it was our honeymoon and received full benefits, including late checkout.

Cost of cab to IC from airport:
$11 US during daytime, $18 1800 - 0800

Last edited by EdV; Feb 5, 2008 at 11:09 am
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:54 pm
EdV

IC Moorea

Yes, excellent service and stay.

Book 4 nts. 2 paid nights of Beach Bungalow w/View (Premium on their website) and 2 night on points booked as Lanai (Garden view rooms). Wasn't able to resolve different room types via email ahead of time. Upon checkin was told all four nights would be upgraded to Over Water Bungalows - ^. Nice touch here, the manager asked to make sure that I didn't want the Premium Beach rooms that I had reserved as he said some people specifically want those. ^ I understand why know (see below)

How are the rooms?

Wonderful. We had room 612 at the very end of the series of bridges (3 in total) and motus with a view to the west over the horizon. Entry way into spacious living room with comfortable chair and large couch. Opaque sliding doors into bedroom with large comfy bed. Smallish bedroom though with the bed taking up most of it. More opaque doors opening to a large bathroom. 2 sinks, normal sized tub and shower next to it. Shower had no doors at all around it! Smallish covered deck with ladder down to extremely shallow lagoon water.

How is the exec. lounge?
-Isn't one

What was good?
-Great upgrade to OTW bungalow on points.
-Given choice of OTW bungalow or staying in the beach bungalow I had booked
-Everything used from mini-bar was free, including nuts. Full stock of liquor but again no wine.
-24hr dedicated gym "bungalow" with 1 treadmill, 1 elliptical and 1 bike. Large nautilus system as well
-Free breakfast included in rate honored when using BOGO no problem
-Welcome gift was shirt for me, sarong for my wife and a bar of local (amazing smelling) soap

What was bad?
-No wine in mini-bar
-No bathrobes: my wife really loves the IC robes for stays
-Bed took up most of bedroom
-The walk to / from room was at least 15 minutes! Not a big deal as we just planned accordingly but really stinks when you forget something and you're in a rush.
-The bridges out to the bungalows had gaps in between the boards. Just large enough to catch the heel of a womans' typical thin heel. My wife was always getting stuck in the boards. She eventually took them off at every bridge

What was missed?
A club lounge would be nice but no hotel in French Polynesia (IC chain at least) has one

Paid $550 for 1 night, used a BOGO 2nd and points last night. Excellent value overall considering the OTW bungalows were going for ~$900/nt

$35 one way from airport. But we hopped on with a tour bus operator for $5 each person (we had to listen to his pitch the whole way though).

Last edited by EdV; Feb 5, 2008 at 11:10 am
Old Feb 4, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
Not IAW the RA T&Cs

Originally Posted by demue
IC Bangkok

Booked a deluxe room and got exactly that, however, they assigned me one of the refurbished ones which are quite nice IMHO. I need to mention that I was on Points Breaks booking for 5K points in which case they will tell you that they do not grant any RA benefits except the late check-out. Oh well.
WHOA!!! That's a big foul! You should elevate this to PC customer service.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Nosmo King
WHOA!!! That's a big foul! You should elevate this to PC customer service.
According to the T&C's when you're on a points stay that's correct, it's basically just late check-out that's still an entitlement, other benefits aren't given on points stays. Some IC's still offer extra above that (IC Bali is great in that aspect, honouring all RA benefits), but they don't *have* to.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA, PC, HH
Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
According to the T&C's when you're on a points stay that's correct, it's basically just late check-out that's still an entitlement, other benefits aren't given on points stays. Some IC's still offer extra above that (IC Bali is great in that aspect, honouring all RA benefits), but they don't *have* to.
To help point to the the T&Cs page

Originally Posted by Priority Club Global Membership Terms
9. InterContinental Ambassador Benefits: Upgrades to a Superior room will be assigned at check-in. A room one category higher than purchased will be assigned to InterContinental Ambassadors. Late Check-out Courtesy: InterContinental Ambassadors will be entitled to a late check out time of 4:00 pm. Airport Chauffeur Service is available with advance reservations and at published fares. When staying on Reward Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador privileges apply with the exception of upgrades, free Pay TV film per stay, 24 hour guaranteed room availability, 8:00am early check-in and complimentary mini bar beverages.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibSpmuh

To help point to the the T&Cs page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priority Club Global Membership Terms
9. InterContinental Ambassador Benefits: Upgrades to a Superior room will be assigned at check-in. A room one category higher than purchased will be assigned to InterContinental Ambassadors. Late Check-out Courtesy: InterContinental Ambassadors will be entitled to a late check out time of 4:00 pm. Airport Chauffeur Service is available with advance reservations and at published fares. When staying on Reward Nights, all Ambassador and Royal Ambassador privileges apply with the exception of upgrades, free Pay TV film per stay, 24 hour guaranteed room availability, 8:00am early check-in and complimentary mini bar beverages.

Hmmm ... my bad. Guess that minimal level of treatment has never been my experience.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:50 am
EdV

IC Thalasso - Bora Bora, French Polynesia

Yes, outstanding

Total of 7 nts. Booked 2 with points (Emerald booked). 2 paid Sapphire level (1 pre-paid, 1 flex for BOGO ), 3 more with points Emerald.
Through email with hotel ahead of time, was offered to have all rooms booked into Sapphire level for entire stay - ^ - which is what I was hoping for.

How are the rooms?
Was given Bungalow 106 which I believe used to be an Emerald level but is now a Sapphire. I can see why as it does have a great view and faces out towards the mountain and not the motu as do all the other Emerald villas. Got to keep in mind that at this property all Over Water Bungalows are the exact same inside, the only difference is the view between them! @:-) And they are great, best we stayed in in French Polynesia hands down.

1st, they are HUGE. Entry way with table and floor to ceiling window behind. To the left is a large sitting area with couch (that has another bed under it), lounge chair and the famed glass coffee table so you can see the fish below your bungalow. At night you can even feed them (there's a light down there) by opening the top of the table. So cool. ^ Large hutch area holding the mini-bar, glasses, coffee, etc. Double doored sliders opening onto a covered balcony (this was huge during rain) that had a table for 2 and 2 lounge chairs. Steps down to a sundeck right at the water with a ladder down to the perfect water.

Finally the bedroom was gorgeous with excellent bed, high ceilings and floor to ceiling windows with a view of the lagoon and main island. Huge soaking tub (Villeroy & Boch), storage for all my stuff and wifey's too. Excellent shower / sauna with sitting area. And the closet - HUGE and walk in with plenty of storage for everything.

If you havent' seen them you can see great pictures HERE of all the French Polynesian ICs

How is the exec. lounge?
-Isn't one

What was good?
-Great of hotel to combine reservations and keep us in the higher level room for duration of stay
-Finally a fully stocked mini-bar including Moet Reserve, liquor, Hinano (local beer) and Heineys
-24hr dedicated gym "bungalow" was huge and very up to date and modern.
-Seemed like we got continuous gifts from the hotel. In total 4 IC French Polynesian towels, 2 sarongs for her, and a shirt for me
-Everyone at the hotel spoke basic english and all the "guest staff" (bartenders, servers, etc) spoke english very well
-The food at Reef, main restaurant, was oustanding and worth the price
-Free use of kayaks, windsurfers, snorkel equipment
-Concierge was great at coordinating with other hotels for dinner plans, including transfers, taxis, etc
-Fantabulous bathrobes and slippers
-Welcome gift was a 1/2 bottle of Moet Vintage '96 (~$250US) and a large fruit basket

What was bad?
-At checkout got an earful from the night manager about the mini-bar. He practically read verbatum the T&Cs about how min-bar isn't free when an RA is on points. Now I know this to be true but have never actually run into this problem, especially when mixing a paid and points stay. We had run up quite a bill (not hard when the Moet is $130 alone). He ended up working with us and taking off all but $20 but I still felt like I had been put in the corner with my dunce cap on.
-Also at checkout was given another earful about how I made the reservations and used the BOGO. He told me that I am required to reserve 2 nights at the same rate, same rate type. If it is prepaid the hotel would refund back the 2nd night. I didn't have the T&Cs on me but I explained to him how my having made a flexible reservation for the 2nd night should have made it easier for him He didn't like that.
-Again the walk was far and the bridges had gaps that caused problems for womens' shoes. Just an FYI

What was missed?

Paid $1100 for 1 night, used a BOGO 2nd and points for the other 4 nights. Amazing value overall and a great use of points.

The hotel is on a motu (island) and the hotel picks you up in a boat. It was $120 for two of us, roundtrip and the cost is mandatory.

Last edited by EdV; Feb 5, 2008 at 11:08 am
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:06 am
EdV

IC Tahiti

Yes, great

Booked 1 night at lowest rate possible (Garden View room) and through email was offered choice of OWB (over water bungalow) or THE Suite in the main building. ^ As it was our last night in Tahiti (and last of honeymoon) and we'd been in OWB the whole time I opted for the Suite and was not disappointed.

How are the rooms?
The Suite did not disappoint. It doesn't have a room number on it, it simply says "THE SUITE ANTARES" on the door. It is technically room(s) 387, 388 and 389. It consists of a large bedroom with a traditional 4 poster bed, tv and sitting area along with balcony. Bathroom is huge with large marble countertops and a huge jacuzzi - big enough for 2 probably more - with excellent built in jets.

This bedroom is connected to another room through adjoining doors to a large open floorplan room with a tv viewing area (couch and 3 formal armchairs), a fullsized workdesk "nook" tucked away to do work away from TV, a full sized kitchen (where we were told dinner could be cooked by the staff if we wanted), and a 10 person dining table which also would double as a boardroom table. There was a mini-library enclosed in a floor to ceiling shelving. And hidden behind wooden doors was a whiteboard - hence the boardroom feel. :-: Oh and there was another balcony off of this room which was double the size of the other balcony. 3rd floor (highest in hotel) with excellet views facing Moorea.

*If anyone has ever been to the IC Puerto Rico and stayed in the "Executive Suites" there (not club suites) it is setup pretty much the exact same way.*

How is the exec. lounge?
-Isn't one

What was good?
-Excellent upgrade to Suite
-2 mini-bars to raid but again no wine or liquor. Just lots of sodas, water and beer
-Another sarong for my wife as gift along with 2 full plates of fruit as welcome gift
-By this time (12 days after out initial stay) the Lotus pool and restaurant were now open again and they were fantastic. Lotus restaurant did not disappoint
-Early checkin was not a problem and hotel was really busy
-I requested late checkout (our departing flight was at 9pm). They let us stay until we departed, past 4pm. We were able to use our room until we left at 6:30pm - no problems! They had blocked the suite for the entire next night after I reserved it. That's service.

What was bad?
-Just nitpicking but now the Lagoonorium was closed for renovations as they had done to Lotus. But it was open the last time we were there so no biggie

What was missed?

Considering I took advantage of the "50% of Any Hotel Card" promotion to pick up a $250USD card for 29.5k points and the room was only $237 it was a great value, and that was before the upgrade. I earned points and used less than the normal 40k!

Cab from airport was $11 both way as daytime both times.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:36 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

ANA Tokyo

Originally Posted by Jages
Booked a Standard King, got a standard King, smallest room I have stayed in at this hotel (frequest visitor)

Service is always fantastic at this hotel, but have never been offered Ambassador upgrades. Staying again next week and will push it.
Is there any update on Tokyo ICs? Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by EdV
Booked 1 night at lowest rate possible (Garden View room) and through email was offered choice of OWB (over water bungalow) or THE Suite in the main building. ^ As it was our last night in Tahiti (and last of honeymoon) and we'd been in OWB the whole time I opted for the Suite and was not disappointed.
So which of these two options did you think was a better upgrade (OWB vs. Suite)? I'd assume if this is the only F.P. Resort you will be visiting then go with the OWB, but if I'll be traveling to several different hotels in the F.P. and expect to get an OWB at another property (and probably a much better OWB in terms of water/view/etc), would you reccommend choosing the Suite? And finally, were you just given this choice because it was your honeymoon or did you gather that they would make that room offer to all RAs if the Suite is available? BTW, congrats on the marriage and thanks for the 4 great RA Experience Reports from F.P., those were quite useful and informative!!! ^
Old Feb 7, 2008, 7:16 am
EdV

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
So which of these two options did you think was a better upgrade (OWB vs. Suite)? I'd assume if this is the only F.P. Resort you will be visiting then go with the OWB, but if I'll be traveling to several different hotels in the F.P. and expect to get an OWB at another property (and probably a much better OWB in terms of water/view/etc), would you reccommend choosing the Suite? And finally, were you just given this choice because it was your honeymoon or did you gather that they would make that room offer to all RAs if the Suite is available? BTW, congrats on the marriage and thanks for the 4 great RA Experience Reports from F.P., those were quite useful and informative!!! ^
Thanks for the compliments, I always give back here when I can.

Now, for the upgrade I would have to say they are quite different. They are both great rooms but of course the suite is much much bigger but you do feel a bit "removed" from the water part of the resort. So I'd agree with what you're saying. If this is the only resort in F.P. that you will be visiting then go with the OWB for sure. The water is great and they are really nice rooms for sure. :-: If you are going to other islands (especially the other ICs) and know you'll be getting an OWB then I'd say take the suite if available. The only reason we took it was because it was our 2nd stay there, our last night and we'd already tried there OWB. Plus, no OWB there will be Thalasso's OWB - hands down.

Another scenario I could think of taking it would be if you were there with a group, family say. If you had the suite it'd be a perfect place for everyone to hang out and get together and relax for sure. The balconies and rooms really are gorgeous. ^ Finally, we were given the suite basically because I asked for it. Via email they told me they were going to put us in a OWB and that's when I asked about the suite. I gathered that if it were open they'd have no trouble putting an RA into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.