Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador and free weekend night voucher

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sorry, you are mixing a lot of things here, so I'd suggest to read up on current AMB program and make sure you are clear what it covers and what not (it changed a bit post Covld). For starters, the AMB really only matters at ICs as you know and here you'll get 10k points or 50USD credit (F&B) per stay if they can't upgrade you. You move into the realm of Indigo, CP, HI etc. and only your Diamond matters and it doesn't guarantee those things.

For the FWNC, it does no longer work at Kimpton or Regent, that was only during Covid. Now it is purely at ICs so there is only one IC Grand Stamford and that place can be very busy from my recollection so certificate usage means usually come early though last minute has been possible pre-Covid.

For your SIN example, there are two ICs to pick and you should never book your entire stay at AMB FWNC rate as you are right that it will be Best Flex at minimum or even slightly inflated rate above Best Flex. It is good that they offer the rate outside of weekends, but I'd try to reconfirm with the hotel that this is intentional and will be honored. This was possible at Kimptons and Regents IIRC during Covid, but is not common at ICs.

For your planned 3 nights, just book the minimum two nights on the certificate rate and the extra night separately and likely cheaper. No issue to keep same room usually as long as you book same room category and of course you can email the hotel prior to your stay to link the reservations and ask to assign the same room.
EDIflyer likes this.

Last edited by demue; Jul 1, 2023 at 9:06 am
Old Jul 1, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by demue
Sorry, you are mixing a lot of things here. For starters, the AMB really only matters at ICs as you know and here you'll get 10k points or 50USD credit (F&B) per stay if they can't upgrade you. You move into the realm of Indigo, CP, HI etc. and only your Diamond matters and it doesn't guarantee those things.
Yeah, I get that.

For the FWNC, it does no longer work at Kimpton or Regent, that was only during Covid. Now it is purely at ICs so there is only one IC Grand Stamford and that place can be very busy from my recollection so certificate usage means usually come early though last minute has been possible pre-Covid.
Yes, the Grand Stafford is the only IC in HK now, but it also pulled two IC properties in nearby Shenzhen, and neither of them had availability.

For your SIN example, you should never book your entite stay at AMB FWNC rate as you are right that it will be Best Flex at minimum or even slightly inflated rate above Best Flex. It is good that they offer the rate outside of weekends, bit just book the minimum two nights on the certificate rate and the extra night separately and likely cheaper. No issue to keep same room usually as long as you book same room category and of course you can email the hotel prior to your stay.
THIS is a great pro tip, and the reason there is such value in FlyerTalk! Thanks!
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 2:43 pm

I'm looking at booking a West Coast US IC hotel with an ACWN voucher. I can see that the ACWN rate is available pretty much wide open across the weekend and week in the time period that I am looking to book in August. Does anyone have any recent experience of using the ACWN voucher on weeknights and it being 'ok' or some problem? I'm in two minds - one is that the hotel has loaded this rate in the week so if I book it, it's pretty unlikely the won't honor it... but then on the other hand, the T&Cs are quite clear about what constitutes a weekend!

Edit: I think I have explained to myself why there are weeknight ACWN rates - I guess this is so, if someone so chose, that they could book 3/4/5 night stays at that rate, and so long as the stay included 2 x weekend nights, the second would be free. So probably the answer to my question would be 'no - not valid, but YMMV'

Last edited by NandoDave; Jul 2, 2023 at 3:28 pm
Old Jul 3, 2023, 12:28 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by NandoDave
I think I have explained to myself why there are weeknight ACWN rates - I guess this is so, if someone so chose, that they could book 3/4/5 night stays at that rate, and so long as the stay included 2 x weekend nights, the second would be free. So probably the answer to my question would be 'no - not valid, but YMMV'
... just book the minimum two nights on the certificate rate and the extra night(s) separately and likely cheaper. No issue to keep same room usually as long as you book same room category and of course you can email the hotel prior to your stay to link the reservations and ask to assign the same room.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 2:41 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
NandoDave - your understanding is correct.

Definitely be careful if it appears that the AMB FWNC rate is available during the week. Some people are under the false impression that this rate would be bookable without having a Fri-Sun or Sat-Mon 2-nighther (in Middle East it is Thu-Sat & Fri - Sun) included and that is mostly not the case. There were exceptions during Covid, but these days I would be suspicious if I encounter a property that allows use of AMB FWNC say from Tue-Thu standalone. As you figured out, the rate is available in conjunction with said "weekend" 2-night stay for additional nights, but that is unnecessarily expensive as we discussed prior to your post.

These days, unfortunately, the AMB FWNC rate is often inflated even above the best flexible rate (wasn't like that in the old days), so just book the two nights minimum and then book your other nights before or after the weekend 2-nighter separately at whatever rate you like, points, advance purchase, corporate rate etc. Multiple reservations are not an issue for a property and you can always give them a heads up via email requesting assignment of the same room and listing down your 2,3, 4 reservation numbers.

I never had an issue with that at many different ICs, but I also don't play games with room categories meaning I don't book a Club Suite on the certificate and then a base level room for the extra night(s) and expect to stay in the same Club Suite. If I want that, I ask for a "paid upgrade" offer to bridge the rate gap and then take it from there. Rest is negotiation and depends on several aspects like total length of stay, difference in room categories, how full the hotel may be etc. I have always managed to come to a good solution for both parties with sensible requests though.
NandoDave likes this.

Last edited by demue; Jul 3, 2023 at 2:49 am
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:44 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I'm trying to use my (first) Ambassador free night. I found rates that have the correct name but the price breakdown always shows rate at each night. Am I correct when I assume that the IHG website quote is before the free night is deducted, and the actual price will be lowered by the rate on the cheapest night?

​​​​​
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by the810
I found rates that have the correct name but the price breakdown always shows rate at each night.​​​​​
That is normal, even after you book, the confirmation you receive will still specify a price for each of the nights.

Am I correct when I assume that the IHG website quote is before the free night is deducted ...?​​​​​
That is correct, just make sure the confirmation clearly states you have booked the Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night rate.

Am I correct when I assume that ... the actual price will be lowered by the rate on the cheapest night?​​​​​
Not exactly, according to the Ambassador T&Cs it is always the cost of the second night that is waived (irrespectively whether it is the cheaper one)
EDIflyer, Adam1222 and the810 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Thanks. That actually plays in my cards!
Old Apr 19, 2024, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Booked an upcoming AMB FWNC Fri, Sat at the IC Paris Le Grand, Fri was 50EU < Sat. A few days later I cancelled and rebooked to take advantage of a better rate and noticed before cancelling that the reservation had been changed ... the 2 nights were adjusted to be the same price ... 1/2 of the 2 night total. Obviously I'd prefer Fri to remain lower as Sat would be the night that gets zeroed out.

First time using one of these certs ... is this expected ? is this how it works ? Don't see anything in the T&C mentioning "price averaging"

Last edited by im-headed-west; Apr 19, 2024 at 5:20 pm Reason: tweaked wording
Old Apr 19, 2024, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by im-headed-west
Booked an upcoming AMB FWNC Fri, Sat at the IC Paris Le Grand, Fri was 50EU < Sat. A few days later I cancelled and rebooked to take advantage of a better rate and noticed before cancelling that the reservation had been changed ... the 2 nights were adjusted to be the same price ... 1/2 of the 2 night total. Obviously I'd prefer Fri to remain lower as Sat would be the night that gets zeroed out.

First time using one of these certs ... is this expected ? is this how it works ? Don't see anything in the T&C mentioning "price averaging"
This is not generally how it works. Often, the reservation will reflect both nights at their full rate and the second night will be zeroed out when you arrive at the property, as that's when the certificate is redeemed.
im-headed-west likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
This is not generally how it works. Often, the reservation will reflect both nights at their full rate and the second night will be zeroed out when you arrive at the property, as that's when the certificate is redeemed.
Exactly, second night is free. This can work to your advantage or against you depending on which night is cheaper. Halving both nights is not correct an even if price would be the same when both have same rate, it can lead to problems with the stay posting as qualifying as well (in some cases) as two nights at supposed 50% discount can trigger the heavily discounted rate issue (>30% off regular rate) and the entire stay could post as non-qualifying and later require manual intervention and promos may not track correctly and all that fun stuff. YMMV
im-headed-west likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Exactly, second night is free. This can work to your advantage or against you depending on which night is cheaper. Halving both nights is not correct an even if price would be the same when both have same rate, it can lead to problems with the stay posting as qualifying as well (in some cases) as two nights at supposed 50% discount can trigger the heavily discounted rate issue (>30% off regular rate) and the entire stay could post as non-qualifying and later require manual intervention and promos may not track correctly and all that fun stuff. YMMV
Bummer ... a week before checkin and I already need to battle another IC about charges.

I'll monitor the price drop rebooking for the same behavior ... guessing the Le Grand is making the mods to try and weasel an extra ~25€ from my pocket
Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:23 am

It may not even be ill intent, could be just an inexperienced reservation staff or so. See what it looks like upon check in and bring it up then if it doesn't sort itself.
Adam1222 and ARR72 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.