Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PC Platinum through 2013 without staying a night in 2012..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

PC Platinum through 2013 without staying a night in 2012..

Thought this may interest a few...
After a conversation and rant last week with a GM, Platinum status like confetti this year...

A PC Member was Platinum without even staying a night.
She had 37,000 points in her account as of Dec 2011. She was a promotions person doing Xmas Parties during end of Nov and Dec 2011. She had stayed at 4 brands during the 2x3x4 promotion.
Got credited for 11 nights bonus in January. So 11x500 = 6500 x3 = 19,500

So 19,500 already credited towards platinum status.

She then moved to a company that use Hilton doing corporate positions, so burnt her points at a HI near Heathrow (or HIX) for 4 days on a conference gig. This HI(x) had changed from 10K to 25K a night. She rang CS and booked 4 nights on the guaranteed old rate, with some jiggery pockery as she did not have the 100K points in her account.
2 nights at 50k with 30K Good will.
1 night at 25k with 15k good will.

So having not stayed a night in 2012 she had 4 nights booked in Heathrow area, 16,500 points left in her account and Platinum through 2013....

the 60K Goodwill points and the 19,500 bonus all counted toward the 2012 platinum status...

Well done !!!!
Hows that for utilising the points system....

I must admit that I did stay 5 or 6 nights this year before I renewed in February for 2013...
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by Dazedwards
Thought this may interest a few...
After a conversation and rant last week with a GM, Platinum status like confetti this year...

A PC Member was Platinum without even staying a night.
She had 37,000 points in her account as of Dec 2011. She was a promotions person doing Xmas Parties during end of Nov and Dec 2011. She had stayed at 4 brands during the 2x3x4 promotion.
Got credited for 11 nights bonus in January. So 11x500 = 6500 x3 = 19,500

So 19,500 already credited towards platinum status.

She then moved to a company that use Hilton doing corporate positions, so burnt her points at a HI near Heathrow (or HIX) for 4 days on a conference gig. This HI(x) had changed from 10K to 25K a night. She rang CS and booked 4 nights on the guaranteed old rate, with some jiggery pockery as she did not have the 100K points in her account.
2 nights at 50k with 30K Good will.

So having not stayed a night in 2012 she had 4 nights booked in Heathrow area, 16,500 points left in her account and Platinum through 2013....

the 60K Goodwill points and the 19,500 bonus all counted toward the 2012 platinum status...

Well done !!!!
Hows that for utilising the points system....

I must admit that I did stay 5 or 6 nights this year before I renewed in February for 2013...
And that is why PC Platinum status does not mean that you are important to IHG as a guest.

mxm135
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
But if she never stays at hotels, or only stays at HIX, who cares whether she is Platinum or not ? Still, it does make me wonder about the sensibility of a points based threshold. I would be happy with Platinum being only available on points, at (say) 100 nights.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I have platinum by just having the credit card so I dont have to stay one night ever as long as I have the card
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Macspreader
But if she never stays at hotels, or only stays at HIX, who cares whether she is Platinum or not ? Still, it does make me wonder about the sensibility of a points based threshold. I would be happy with Platinum being only available on points, at (say) 100 nights.
The difference is that officially Priority Club does not count award nights toward status. But if you earn points, redeem them for rewards nights, and then get rebates on that, you can earn status solely on rewards nights.

Also, HIX is not all-incluisve in the UK (where the OP is and is presumably referreing to) as it is in the US. (I find the HIX brand overseas confusing because of that, it was created to mean all-inclusive, and then when it isn't, what is it???) So perhaps tatus may mean more there. (I think I've gotten free internet scratch cards at HIXs overseas only because of my status, where otherwise I'd have to pay for internet. Internet is free at HIXs only in North America, generally not in Europe and beyond.)
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:59 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
This might be slightly off topic but it seems that virtually all programs are devaluing their elite status.

I can remember as a kid when my dad got his AMEX Gold Card. It was a big deal. Now I think all you have to do to get a gold card is have good credit and a heartbeat.

In some ways it builds loyalty, I guess, with the "They gave me a gold/platinum/whatever card. They think I'm special and that means I must be" attitude but it devalues the system. Afterall, if EVERYONE is elite it really means NOBODY is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.