Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
My email on thursady evening, asking about the status of my two claims, has went totally unanswered. That in itself is just extremely poor customer relations.

So of course i phoned. Regarding the case in Rome, the BRG person said that Ic rome had not replied to any emails that they had sent. So not only do CS not reply to customer emails, it appears hotels do not reply to emails from IHG departments. To me its clear this ethos of ignoring things you don't want to deal with is pervasive. So gues what, they are going to send another email.

I suggested that a collegue of hers had previously suggested that it might come to pass that the hotel refuses and that IHG will have to refund (no one suggested it from IHG, but seems from evidence here, this is what is going to happen), she replied there was nothing on the account to indicate that, but it might happen. Also said that the delay might be with the hotel processing other claims (ummm, history here suggests the hotel is refusing to process claims).

With regard to my other claim, she was going to advise the person dealing with my claim to follow it up....again...18 days and counting.

The claim department, as a matter of interest, is in the phillipines (totally irrelevant, but for some reason I'd assumed it was in the US).

Last edited by tangey; Oct 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:51 pm

Just called the "24 hour" BRG desk--got an unavailable message that told me their business hours are between 9 am and 9 pm EST.

It is currently 3:50 EST.

Update: Just called the non-toll free US number too. Same unavailable message. So now what do I do? I finally found a lower rate and I can't get them on the phone. I am very leery of sending an e-mail or using the online form given others' experiences.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by tangey
My email on thrusady evening, asking about the status of my two claims, has went totally unanswered. That it islef is just extremely poor customer relations.

So of course i phoned. Regarding the case in Rome, the BRG person said that Ic rome had not replied to any emails that they had sent. So not only do CS not reply to customer emails, it appears hotels do not reply to emails from IHG departments. To me its clear this ethos of ignoring things you don't want to deal with is pervasive. So gues what, they are going to send another email.

I suggested that a collegue of hers had previously suggested that it might come to pass that the hotel refuses and that IHG will have to refund (no one suggested it from IHG, but seems from evidence here, this is what is going to happen), she replied there was nothing on the account to indicate that, but it might happen. Also said that the delay might be with the hotel processing other claims (ummm, history here suggests the hotel is refusing to process claims), but rather prolong this ordeal further. When emails don't work, it's time to advance to Plan B....

With regard to my other claim, she was going to advise the person dealing with my claim to follow it up....again...18 days and counting.

The claim department, as a matter of interest, is in the phillipines (totally irrelevant, but for some reason I'd assumed it was in the US).
When email after email from BRG to the hotel goes unanswered, the next step should be for them to get on the phone on your behalf (while you're on hold w/BRG). Shooting off yet another email to the hotel to please adjust the rate obviously isn't going to get the matter resolved.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:18 pm

After 43 minutes on hold, I finally got through to the BRG desk. The CSA asked for the website and put me on hold to "check" the rates. My total time on the phone so far is 1 hour and 12 minutes and I am still holding!!

How is this any way at all to treat customers?? I want my free night and then I am done with PC!

Update: Success at last! They will call hotel to beg for free night.

Last edited by Montacute; Oct 22, 2011 at 5:27 pm
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: hh Diamond,Marriott plat, ihg spire
Originally Posted by Montacute
After 43 minutes on hold, I finally got through to the BRG desk. The CSA asked for the website and put me on hold to "check" the rates. My total time on the phone so far is 1 hour and 12 minutes and I am still holding!!

How is this any way at all to treat customers?? I want my free night and then I am done with PC!

Well this is what could happen -

1) hotel refuses to adjust for free night

2) IHG promises to reimburse you

3) You stay at the hotel and pay

4) It is now a non-qualifying stay

5) 12 days post check-out, no news or replies from IHG regarding reimbursement despite 6 e-mails sent off to them

Well thats my experience with IHG BRG so far. Again, for those with the BRG for IC Rome, good luck. You may still have to foot the bill for quite a while.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Indeed. I can see them not wanting to make the whole night free more than once very 30 days, but there are tons of solutions between allowing only one BRG every 30 days and one free night every 30 days. The email Spankytoes quoted in post 548 above: "We have contacted the hotel and requested a rate adjusted to 10% off the lower rate you found" is a hint: They should still honor BRGs at other hotels found more often, but if they wish, they might not make it totally free.
As a business, no one wants to offer any product or service for free. However, another possible reason for the "10% off" email might be from an old BRG template. Before the current first-night-free promotion, the previous BRG was 10% off the lower rate.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's the totally free that's causing them all their problems. Other hotel programs match the other site's rate plus some percentage further off, and thus the hotel gets a taste of its own medicine (providing lower rates to third-party sites) but still gets income (just a bit less than they'd hoped), the member still gets points and/or miles, and there's no need to set limits.
It is their gimmick to promote their price-match policy as the best in the industry. Some hotel chains are offering "20% off the lower rate" scheme for BRG, so they must offer more. However, the psychological and promotional effect won't be good even if they offer a similar scheme with a discount of higher percentage.

Let's do an experiment. Please compare the following slogans and give a first impression on each of them. After that, please highlight my hidden words for my conclusion.

Slogan 1: "Best Price Guarantee or First Night Free!"
Slogan 2: "Best Price Guarantee or 40% Off!"
Slogan 3: "Best Price Guarantee or Half off First Two Nights!"

Hidden text here ↓
Theories in marketing psychology say that words deliver stronger impression than numbers in slogans. That's why Slogan 1 is more attractive than Slogan 2. Also, shorter and easier words are more impressive, so the word "free" is much more enticing than the lengthy terms in Slogan 3. One must know "free" in Slogan 1 means no out-of-pocket payment almost immediately, but Slogan 3 cannot offer this idea quickly as calculation is involved.
Hidden text here ↑

Do you agree with my analysis?

Another reason is innovation. Percentage off is a common practice in the industry. Although Ramada has run a similar scheme till March 2009, most but few people (aka free room hunters) know it. This is why the word "free" plays an important part in the gimmick and cannot be avoided at all.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:08 pm

Just called the "24 hour" BRG desk--got an unavailable message that told me their business hours are between 9 am and 9 pm EST.

It is currently 3:50 EST.

Update: Just called the non-toll free US number too. Same unavailable message. So now what do I do? I finally found a lower rate and I can't get them on the phone. I am very leery of sending an e-mail or using the online form given others' experiences.
I tried once too. It is probably because the waiting queue of calls to the department is full. I assume that more people call during weekends and nights.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by asian_journeyman
Well this is what could happen -

1) hotel refuses to adjust for free night

2) IHG promises to reimburse you

3) You stay at the hotel and pay

4) It is now a non-qualifying stay

5) 12 days post check-out, no news or replies from IHG regarding reimbursement despite 6 e-mails sent off to them

Well thats my experience with IHG BRG so far. Again, for those with the BRG for IC Rome, good luck. You may still have to foot the bill for quite a while.
Yes, I am well aware I have only passed the first hurdle and PC has put up so many, many hurdles.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:04 am

most ridiculous attempt to deny yet?

I just booked a BRG for my husband--went back one more time.

PC shows a flexible rate for club room WITH breakfast that is more expensive than the flex rate for club room WITHOUT breakfast.

A competing site also show both a club room WITH breakfast flex rate that is more expensive than the flex rate for club room WITHOUT breakfast.

The competing site's flex rate WITH breakfast was cheaper than PC's flex rate WITH breakfast.

BUT the competing website also had the word "continental" underneath breakfast.

This one word led to a fight with the BRG CSA--he claimed that all club rooms have a continental breakfast so the rate could not be compared to a PC breakfast rate. No amount of explaining that the breakfast on both sites was obviously different from club room breakfast snacks, because both sites charged more for it, got through to him. He said the PC breakfast would be "more American and include waffles." Those were *really* the words he used.

I will be calling for a supervisor tomorrow and I have my screen shots.

Oh, and waffles are specifically mentioned under the definition of a continental breakfast on wikipedia. @:-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakfa...ntal_breakfast

Last edited by Montacute; Oct 23, 2011 at 1:07 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.

Which is why using the 0871 number (10p per minute) here in the UK is a definite No
Old Oct 23, 2011, 3:00 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by blindman
Which is why using the 0871 number (10p per minute) here in the UK is a definite No
I use fring on my iPhone,and call the non toll free us number, costs 1.1c a minute.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: IC Amb, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, EY E+, UA*G, BA Gold
Montacute, please check PMs. Anyone else having tribulation with the club room + breakfast issue: PM me and I may be able to help.

Originally Posted by tangey
I use fring on my iPhone,and call the non toll free us number, costs 1.1c a minute.
Why don't you use Skype on your iPhone? Then the cost would be 0 to the toll-free US number.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Errata
Montacute, please check PMs. Anyone else having tribulation with the club room + breakfast issue: PM me and I may be able to help.
Thanks for the kind offer, Errata. ^ I sent you a PM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:08 am

I just tried for a BRG in New Orleans. I booked a cancellable rate at holidayinn.com (179+tax) and then found a cancellable rate at dhr.com (125 ai). I filed the claim and got a reply within less than 24 hours, saying I was denied because I had to book the non-refundable rate at holidayinn.com (171+tax), although their terms and conditions seem to state that refundable rooms may be compared against one another and that dhr did not immediately confirm bookings and so was ineligible. I replied saying that first of all, dhr.com does immediately confirm bookings, and here is my confirmation attached, and that while a slightly cheaper rate exists at holidayinn.com, it's still much higher than this dhr rate. I also pasted a link to otel.com where I found the hotel for 142 ai. I then got a reply saying that they were able to verify the lower rate at otel.com, but I was still ineligible because I had purchased the refundable rate instead of the absolute best rate on holidayinn.com. I then replied asking if I changed to the advance purchase rate would the BRG be honoured. I was told yes, so I changed to the advance purchase rate and they accepted my claim and have forwarded to the hotel for request of the free night. So everything seemed to go pretty well -- the claim was settled in under 24 hours with several back and forth emails. So maybe they are improving? Anyway, if you do what I did, it's a good way to get them to confirm (in writing) that your claim will be accepted if you change to the advance purchase rate, so that you're not stuck with the purchased hotel and no successful BRG.

Now my question is, can my friend book the second night under his name so we can get two nights for free? The terms and conditions don't seem to forbid stays under a different name. In the worst case, we'll have to check in and out an extra time, right?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:13 am

I wonder if the free rooms are a tax write off for the hotels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.