Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2022, 4:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
The letter I got said the option to add points to 40,000 cert will come in 2023, when the AF for the Premier card will increase to $99. No mention of any changes to the Select card. I have both, and would be happy to pay $49 for a free night at a HIX.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EdofFX
The letter I got said the option to add points to 40,000 cert will come in 2023, when the AF for the Premier card will increase to $99..
The topup benefit begins in March 2022

see the pdf in this link

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33952305-post449.html
Old Feb 3, 2022, 7:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The topup benefit begins in March 2022

see the pdf in this link

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33952305-post449.html
That sure is lousy quality text in the terms PDF. As the person who posted it, I apologize. I had a more readable version, but the forum software said the file was too large.

I assume that the "topup benefit" you mention is the TravelBank benefit. My reading of those terms is that customers can register for the benefit (a prerequisite to getting the benefit) starting on March 24, but I didn't see anything conclusive about when the first TravelBank deposit will be made. I hope you're right that the actual benefit starts in March, and I wish IHG had been more clear.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:08 am

jole kan bide mi

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 9:11 pm
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by beltway
My understanding is that this refers to the ability to combine points with a 40K free-night cert for award nights costing >40K.
Ah, that does seem more likely. Thanks.

But even with that understanding, I don't see the benefit clearly starting in March. If IHG were to assert that the benefit starts with certificates awarded after March (and certificates awarded earlier were not eligible for the benefit), I would be hard pressed to refute the assertion. Again, it's not clear--at least, to me.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by beltway
My understanding is that this refers to the ability to combine points with a 40K free-night cert for award nights costing >40K.
Yes that is the top-up I refer to
Originally Posted by serpens
Ah, that does seem more likely. Thanks.

But even with that understanding, I don't see the benefit clearly starting in March. If IHG were to assert that the benefit starts with certificates awarded after March (and certificates awarded earlier were not eligible for the benefit), I would be hard pressed to refute the assertion. Again, it's not clear--at least, to me.
the column header specifically says “benefit begins 3/24/22”

so as of that day any certs you already have can be combined with points for a free night in a property that “costs” more than 40k points.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

the column header specifically says “benefit begins 3/24/22”
I was in the weeds in the fine print on the other page. You are correct.
so as of that day any certs you already have can be combined with points for a free night in a property that “costs” more than 40k points.
I hope you're right, but I believe it could mean that certificates earned after that date have that benefit. IHG isn't clear. Also, "any certs you already have" would include certs from the Select card, and I believe that's a gray area. Again, I hope you're right and IHG isn't clear.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:09 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by serpens
Also, "any certs you already have" would include certs from the Select card, and I believe that's a gray area. Again, I hope you're right and IHG isn't clear.
IHG has always distinguished the certs earned from these two cards when they are deposited into accounts, so I think they will be able to restrict the Select certs from the ability to add points.
Happy likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by dw
IHG has always distinguished the certs earned from these two cards when they are deposited into accounts, so I think they will be able to restrict the Select certs from the ability to add points.
Yes, I should have clarified my comment refers to pre-existing certs through Premier card would likely be allowed to top-up starting 3/24/22

No idea if this will extend to Select card certs. I’m keeping Select card regardless…
Old Mar 26, 2022, 6:29 pm

I have a one night reservation using a cert from my Premier card. Is it possible to switch this cert with a different cert from my old IHG card without cancelling and rebooking (no award availability now)? Has anyone tried this? Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 4:23 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question Hotels at >40K pts on All 3 cards

Hello. I just looked at the New IHG Premier Biz card. It says that annual free nights can be used at hotels of >40K points by adding points from IHG acct.
I checked the Current IHG Premier Personal card offer. It says same. But I think when I applied for the Personal Premier there was Already 40K points limit on free night with NO ability to add points from acct for hotels >40K points.
Questions about ability to use free night cert at hotel with >40K points/night - by using also points from acct:
1) Does it apply to Old IHG Premier Personal cards?
2) Does it apply to VERY-Old IHG Select card (no longer offered, but still offer a free night at $49 AF)?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by IntFF
Hello. I just looked at the New IHG Premier Biz card. It says that annual free nights can be used at hotels of >40K points by adding points from IHG acct.
I checked the Current IHG Premier Personal card offer. It says same. But I think when I applied for the Personal Premier there was Already 40K points limit on free night with NO ability to add points from acct for hotels >40K points.
Questions about ability to use free night cert at hotel with >40K points/night - by using also points from acct:
2) Does it apply to VERY-Old IHG Select card (no longer offered, but still offer a free night at $49 AF)?
1. I don't have one to test, but my understanding is Yes.
2. No
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IntFF
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
1. I don't have one to test, but my understanding is Yes.
2. No
I agree with asdfghjk.

1. I do have a Premier card that predates the new program terms. I have not booked a night, but I did have the opportunity to book 50k night by using the cert and 10k points.
2. I do have the Select card, and I was not offered the opportunity to book a 50k night using the cert and 10k points.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Others have asked about the scenario of booking a Chase Select Card Free Night for a stay that completes after the expiraiton date. It is confusing as the inital screen states "Book Between x - y" but expanding the official terms say that stay must be booked and completed by the expiration date. I had two free certificates - one expiring in April another in December this year. I booked one night for a stay in June and it took the December expiraiton certificate. Trying to book another night with the other it returns no availability for any nights past its expiration date. So, it appears that they fixed the glitch, and the stay must be completed by the ending date on the certificate. I also asked if they could extend the date again, but it was a polite no.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:12 pm

Are there any exclusions about which properties can be booked with an premier annual flex certificate topped up with points? I'm trying to book the Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach for a night in September (9/10 - 9/11) that's available for 62,000 points when doing a "Rewards Night" search, but when doing a "IHG Rewards Premier Card Annual Flex Night" search, the property shows as "Rooms are not available for Anniversary Free Night Flex on one or more of the selected dates." rather than showing up as "free + 22,000 points". All other properties in Wrightsville Beach either show up as "free" or "free + xx points", so in general the top-up works for my account, just not at that property. When I click on "view available dates" on the "IHG Rewards Premier Card Annual Flex Night" search, the calendar shows a number of greyed out dates (including 9/10), and "50 USD / night" for non greyed out dates. The days that show up as "50 USD / night" appear to correspond to days bookable for less than 40,000, and using the free night certificate would work for those.

I'm probably overlooking something basic, so I'd appreciate any feedback on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.