Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2023, 6:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by erik123
Is it typical for only single rooms to be made available - even though the room type is the same for a single or double?
I don't understand the question. Are you seeing room availability if you search for one adult but not for two adults? I would say that is unusual, at least within USA.
Old May 5, 2023, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by serpens
I don't understand the question. Are you seeing room availability if you search for one adult but not for two adults? I would say that is unusual, at least within USA.
The exact same room is available for one but not two guests.
Old May 5, 2023, 4:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

The exact same room is available for one but not two guests.
It seems odd. When and where?
Old May 6, 2023, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by serpens
It seems odd. When and where?
IC SJO 13 May. The room description is Classic for one - vs Classic King for 2. But I know the hotel and the room type is identical. It seems like a gimmick to limit inventory.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold
What number is everyone calling to get their certificate extended/points credited?

I tried the online chat and the wait times were ridiculous while the agent was checking up on my question. They also incorrectly told me that I would be able to make a reservation after the expiration date and that they had never heard of anyone being offered courtesy points when they were unable to extend an expiring certificate. I really do not recommend the online chat, it wasted a whole hour to get incorrect information.
Old May 9, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by raycosm
What number is everyone calling to get their certificate extended/points credited?

I tried the online chat and the wait times were ridiculous while the agent was checking up on my question. They also incorrectly told me that I would be able to make a reservation after the expiration date and that they had never heard of anyone being offered courtesy points when they were unable to extend an expiring certificate. I really do not recommend the online chat, it wasted a whole hour to get incorrect information.

they’re still extending or giving points? I’ve been wasting all mine. Just to use… All 8. (Within the family)
Old May 10, 2023, 5:20 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by raycosm

I called the number on my card. As I said above, wait till the cert expires.
Old May 10, 2023, 3:21 pm

duplicate
Old May 10, 2023, 3:23 pm

Is it typical for only single rooms to be made available - even though the room type is the same for a single or double?
I wonder if it matters as an Ambassador with the single room rate for double occupancy. guarantee?
Old Jun 2, 2023, 8:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
IHG Diamond Ambassador wondering about the current policy for Chase free nights.

If it expires June 15, must one check in or out by that date? If allowed to expire, is IHG giving points? Is the old "few days of grace period" trick still dead?

Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 1:21 am
Original Member

I saw on the IHG App that when you click on the free night under your account, there is an orange button that says "Deposit a free night voucher". I didn't click on the button but is this an
option to get points in exchange for your free night voucher? If you click on the free night button, you get the option to redeem free night but I see a deposit button on the previous screen.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by sggolf
I saw on the IHG App that when you click on the free night under your account, there is an orange button that says "Deposit a free night voucher". I didn't click on the button but is this an
option to get points in exchange for your free night voucher? If you click on the free night button, you get the option to redeem free night but I see a deposit button on the previous screen.
That's new. Not sure what it's for, but I doubt it's to exchange a free night for points.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:19 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
This is for people who for whatever reason have been granted a free night voucher that isn’t yet linked to their accounts- when you click that button it’ll ask you for a voucher code
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:14 am

I don't think it's new. I am pretty sure there were conversations about it here maybe 6 months ago
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:46 pm

Can anyone confirm (or refute) that Chase free nights can be used to check in on the expiration date? The T&Cs say that "stays must be completed" by that date, but the system allows check-ins on that date (but no later), which suggests it should work. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.