Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CP Crowne Plaza Crystal City Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite : HH Blue : AA : WR : VX Elevate : VS Flying Club : Amtk GR
CP Crowne Plaza Crystal City Master Thread

First I would like to say you guys are great, I just joined PC and racked up 3K points and counting waiting for my TopGuest points to post as well.

I am planning on a family weekend and my original choice of staying at the HI Arlington booked up faster than what I expected with no bonus rewards stays.

So now I am booking at the CP Crystal City with 2X Bonus points, but am forced to get a room w/1 King Bed and Sleeper Sofa. I don't mind cause after all I am getting the extra points and it is just 3 of us staying.

My question is what are some of your experiences staying at this property?

Does anybody have any pics of this property? All I can find is the standard pictures supplied from the hotel.

One last question, can I stack promo codes? I thought I seen this as a topic somewhere but can not find it.

Last edited by Toshiro Hitsugaya; Jun 22, 2011 at 4:07 pm
Old May 11, 2021, 4:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 5/9 to 5/10

Location: The hotel is located on Crystal Drive and 14th Street just east of US 1 in Crystal City towards the northern end of the hotels located there. Two blocks away is the Crystal City Metro Station and a number of other restaurants. Location wise it's very good for needing to be near DCA or to commute into see the sights.

Hotel: The hotel is a bit older but in a good state of repair. The lobby is small but nice and has an attached restaurant. The mezzanine has a Starbucks which is open 7 days a week, currently the restaurant is closed Sundays. Their shuttle is up and running right now which is always a good thing and you can buy beer and wine from the front desk.

Check In: a very friendly agent recognized my Spire status, gave me the welcome amenity points and coupons for a breakfast sandwich and a coffee which came as part of my AAA rate.

Room: A little on the small side and feeling a little old in the CP way. The bathroom was especially tiny. Overall though it was fine. Good soundproofing, no issues with Wifi, comfortable beds.

Overall it's good for DCA stays. I'd be back.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 5:15 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Crowne Plaza Arlington Crystal City / Washington National Airport

What is your Priority Club status?
Diamond Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
The hotel is located in Arlington close to the subway stop Crystal City, which connect the airport with downtown Washington. The nhotl offers a shuttle to DCA, which leaves the hotel at .00 and .30 (04:30 to midnight). Dulles International Airport (IAD) could be reached by changing subways at Pentagon.

The area around the hotel is a mixture of residential and office building. There are a couple of hotels in the vicinity of the hotel (i.a. Sheraton, Marriott). You could walk to the airport and along Potomac Reiver via Mt. Vernont Trail also nice for running and biking.

Reason for us to stay there, that we wanted to have a centrally located hotel with easy access to public transportation and DCA airport. The hotel in Washington were either not available or way above 400 USD / night (the IC was 700 USD).

The stay was leisure, my co-worker and me decided to meet in Washington which both of us have not visited other than on a short one-night stop. Therefore, we decided to in Washington and fly back from there and do some touristic things. I was flying in from the day before but did not want to change hotels and rooms. As my co-worker is happily married (but not with me), I booked a room with two double beds knowing that this would limit my changes of an upgrade.

To the right is the restaurant Potomac Social Tavern while to the left are meeting rooms. A stair leads to the mezzanine floor. There you find additional meeting rooms, the breakfast restaurant, and a Starbucks (open from 05:00 till 16:00 on weekday and till 13:00 on weekends and holidays). The gym is also located there.

A small number of chairs are also available. There is also a small guest pantry where you buy drinks, snacks and travel utensils.

I was the only guest checking in.

I arrived at the hotel at 15:00. By shuttle from DCA. I was greeted and asked for ID. She confirmed the reservation for three days and I let her know, that my colleague would join me only from the next day on and was asked to pass check in so that they could verify her ID. An upgrade was not mentioned.

I was asked about my choice of amenity and asked if I like the points or the welcome drinks. I inquired about breakfast and was told, that this was an option as well. She mentioned that she put my room number on the list for guest whose reservation include breakfast. I did not receive a voucher. This needed to be solved later, as during breakfast, I was told, that my room was not on the list and front desk told the restaurant, that my room does not included breakfast. Staff told me to talk to front desk, which I did. She checked her system and provided vouchers for breakfast: The agent during check ion should have provided them. Advantage of this, the staff from the breakfast remembered me and service was much more attentive compared with other guests.

Breakfast is served in the restaurant from 06:30 to 10:30). It is served as buffet and consisted of two scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausages as well as potatoes and one hot dish which changed daily. In addition, cheese and salami, fresh fruit, cereals and bagels were provided. Coffee and juice (orange and cranberry) were served by staff.

The fitness center is very small with three treadmills (only two were working), two bikes and one stepper. Machines were okay, towels and water were provided, but cleaning utensils were not.

On the first day, I had dinner at the restaurant / bar, simply for the convenience not needing to leave the hotel again in the evening. Food was okay, nothing outstanding. Prices were reasonable (Burger 18 USD; Ceasar Salad 12 USD or with chicken 18 USD). Drinks were also okay, local beer on tap for 9 USD (happy hour 6 USD). Unfortunately, charges could not be charged to the room and thus earned no points.

Internet was fast

Check out was quick and fast. Late check was only given till 13:00. I was told, that they were fully booked (which was not true) and need my room was two double (which could be true, as those rooms were not available for the next night).

Which room did you book, and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked Standard room with two doubles and received exactly this room. Booked a fully flexible rate with 5k points for 294 USD for the first two nights and 195 USD for the last night (including taxes).

How are the rooms?

My room was located on the 10th floor.

After opening the door, one is in a small hallway. To the left was the bathroom with baht, sink and shower. Shampoo, shower gel and soap were provided as well as body lotion. Towels (three large and three medium sized and two small ones were available). No slippers and bathrobes were provided. Water pressure was okay.

In the hallway to the bathroom was the closet with safe and hangers.

Th room consist of two beds with a bedside table between them. The modern phone included alarm clock and two USB ports (the only ones).

Opposite the bed was a sideboard with fridge and tea and coffee utensils (coffee pads were only restocked the second night). There was also the TV and the desk with desk lamp and plugs. There was lower table for working, which was nice.

The a/c unit was a window mounted unit but controlled via panel at the wall.

Three lamps, one on the desk, one between the bed and one standing lamp. All three not very bright and without light the room was rather dark as the window was not very large. There was an armchair. In general, I found it a bit old fashioned, out of style. But in surprisingly good condition.

How is the exec. lounge?
n/a.

What was good and what was bad?
Good
Staff is in general friendly
location is well connected
Gym 24/7
staff in breakfast restaurant
Quality of breakfast

Neutral
rooms are dark and style is a bit outdated
restaurant Potomac Social Tavern is okay and for an hotel restaurant reasonable priced
late check out only given till 13:00

Bad
gym is small
breakfast voucher situation
could not charge restaurant to room despite being operated by hotel

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
The rooms are dark, but the hotel is in general well located. They seem to have nicer and brighter rooms to the front. Fitness is 24/7, so that is nice, though it is very small. Value for money was a mixed bag, Washington is expensive, but I definitively would have preferred less for the hotel.

For our purpose, it was okay though. Also if you need a hotel close to the airport and with easy access to public transportation without paying the premium to be in DC.

In so far, I would return, if the rates are affordable, but not so much if the hotel is higher priced.

Spoiler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.