Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indigo Glasgow (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Second stay here yesterday.

Previous stay was in July for a Friday and Saturday night on points.
No upgrade even though spire elite. Room was pleasant but not very spacious.
Breakfast was shambolic on the Sunday Morning, waited to be seated whilst staff wandered around aimlessly ignoring waiting guests.
Available food seemed good quality, whilst it lasted!
And there was the rub..

The bread depleted before we had chance to get to it and despite being asked by about 6 different gusts wasn't replenished for 15 minutes, leading to a crowd developing around a toaster with nothing to toast.

The cooked breakfast needs to be ordered as it is cooked to order, again they seemed to struggle to deliver hot food in a timely manner with several guests complaining.

Also no opportunity to buy a voucher at a discounted price in advance, apparently they stopped this as they have "a lot of guests on corporate rates"
If they did offer this is might at least allow them to gauge the number of guests if that is what they struggle with.

When we checked out they hadn't bothered adding breakfast to the bill which saved complaining about it.

Other day didn't bother and had breakfast outside.

Decided on a return stay yesterday, a paid stay on business to trigger a promotion.

Again no upgrade offered despite spire elite status.
Queried this with reception and was told they had no rooms to upgrade me to.
Pointed out they had superior rooms available online, but was told they could not upgrade me to them!

Had intended to dine in, but based on this snub decided to spend my cash elsewhere.

Went down for breakfast this morning and again had to wait whilst staff wandered around aimlessly.
When I got seated there were only 3 other guests in restaurant, but much of the cold selection looked like it needed re-stocking.
Got my order in for a cooked breakfast early and then heard the guy on a nearby table complaining that he'd been waiting over 30 minutes.

Breakfast arrived and was decent quality, but had forgotten about lack of beans and need to order specially.

Managed to get almost the last of the bread and noticed that other guests were waiting to be seated.

The guy that had been waiting for his breakfast got it and left shortly afterwards complaining about the quality.

Overall breakfast was very unorganised and time consuming.

When I went to check out, they hadn't charged it to the room and had to get them to add to bill.
I wonder how many people don't get charged and how much revenue they lose as a result.

Overall experience;
I would stay there if I had to, but if I had a choice I would opt for the Doubletree down the road.
The Indigo's refusal to upgrade contrast with the Doubletree's consistency on upgrades, free (hassle free) breakfast and exec lounge.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:58 pm

Breakfast has always been an issue here and I really can't understand why as there is nothing on the quite limited cook to order menu that is very taxing.

The TA reviews continually mention issues with breakfast, you would think someone would try and get it sorted it out. One reviewers in November described it as the Marie Celeste
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by chrism20
Breakfast has always been an issue here and I really can't understand why as there is nothing on the quite limited cook to order menu that is very taxing.

The TA reviews continually mention issues with breakfast, you would think someone would try and get it sorted it out. One reviewers in November described it as the Marie Celeste
Agreed, it should be easy to fix but they appear not able to do so.

It could be a really good hotel, but my experience isn't that great and the limitations of the IHG rewards club and their implementation of it, just highlights how much better the nearby Doubletree by Hilton is.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:10 pm

Hotel Glasgow - A Great Experience

Hotel Indigo Glasgow

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hotel Indigo Glasgow

75 Waterloo Street Glasgow, GB G2 7DA

Hotel Glasgow - A Great Experience (0 Photo)

Hotel Indigo Glasgow

Check In

• Got to the hotel around 10:30am and was to get a room right away despite check in time being 3pm
  • Desk agent was very polite and welcoming and immediately provided a recomendation (the Pot Still) when I mentioned I was interested in drinking whiskey on my visit

Dining

• Hurt for time after sleeping in, we had breakfast at the hotel and unlike other reviews, it was fast and efficient. My wife opted for the continental and I had eggs benedict. My meal was out in about five minutes and we were in an out in under 20 minutes total. Quality and service was fine, but expensive compared to other options nearby (15 pounds for a hot meal, 10 for continental).
  • We quickly found out that in Glasgow it is hard to find food after 10pm. The hotel offers a 24 hour room service menu which saved us one night. The options are limited to essentially what turns out to be microwaved pizza and sandwiches but it seemed to be our only option so it worked in a pinch.

Service

• We were able to send off 7k of laundry for a flat rate of 12.5 pounds which we thought was a good deal. Drop off by 8:30am and for same day return

Room

• Rooms are small but modern. What you would expect from a Hotel Indigo
  • Plenty of power outlets to charge up
  • Bed and linens were very comfortable
  • Rooms on the backside of the hotel look into an office so they are super quiet. The hotel only gets loud when housekeeping is doing work. Footsteps travel a lot with the hardwood floors at the entrance to each room

• Amazing location under a 15 minute walk to Glasgow Central and Queen Street train stations. Airport bus is half a block away and Buchanan Street is also close
  • Great pubs and restaraunts nearby. We loved Pot Still, Horseshoe Tavern, Shilling Brewery, Old Hair Dresser, Mussell Inn, and the greek place next door to Mussell Inn
Hotel Glasgow - A Great Experience

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel Indigo Glasgow?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Hotel Indigo, Glasgow, Scotland, UK

September 2016, Our 1 night/2 days stay experience

When planning our trip to Scotland in September 2016 we thought long and hard which hotels to book in Glasgow. One of our choices was the Indigo Glasgow, because it was unusual in regards to its history and design.

Originally the building was the first power station in Glasgow, supplying the surrounding houses with electricity.

Indigo is part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group and their boutique offering, which means the Indigo brand within the IHG Group offers a more individual design and heritage as let’s say their Holiday Inn properties.

This particular stay was our first experience with the brand during our one night stay.

The hotel is not far from the Main Train Station and the Hilton Glasgow [in which we stayed a few yeas ago] and housed in a Georgian building. There are steps leading up to the entrance with a revolving door.

The lobby was small, but full of character and original details with the reception to the left and the restaurant and bar by Marco Pierre White to the right. There was a seating area for two with complimentary local newspapers offered near the elevators.
We liked the high ceilings and stucco walls.

Check in was done quickly and Fraser, the receptionist, chatted with us about his trip to Berlin.

We were soon on the way to our Standard King Room on the 4th floor.

It was larger than we expected with very high ceilings and windows.

Our views were over the courtyard and surrounding houses.

The room had a feminine feel with red tones and flower printed wall paper. The flower theme continued throughout our room incl. the golden curtains and the carpet. There was also a wooden floor.

Another color used was white to give a contrast against the reds used.

We loved the room and its romantic feel. It was enhanced by a photograph of a Glasgow landmark and by a part of the wallpaper incorporating another local landmark.

The bed was comfortable and large. The headboard was made of leather and accentuated the theme of the room by having red buttons added.

On one nightstand was a modern but 50s inspired radio and IPod docking station. It was cool and we liked it.

The writing desk had the “Sunday Times Travel Magazine” and “This is Glasgow” and “Welcome to the neighborhood” brochure including other Indigo hotels, for example Duesseldorf, Tel Aviv and Edinburgh.

A small mirror was also a welcome addition by the writing desk.

The free Wi-Fi internet was blazing fast at all times when we used it.

The flat screen TV had only regional channels and the most important news channel available was BBC News. No real problem, but a more international selection would have been nice, especially when staying longer at this beautiful boutique hotel.
We enjoyed the chair with ottoman and coffee table.

There was also a wardrobe with mini bar, which was complimentary, and one that was sensible. It included one Schweppes Lemonade, one Diet Coke, two Strathmore still water, two Tunnock’s milk chocolate covered caramel wafer biscuits [More of these please!] and one pack of Real Crisps, hand cooked with sea salt and malt vinegar flavor. We took the wafers, the water and the lemonade. Having not tried Tunnock’s before we are now big fans and buy them regularly, even when not in Scotland.
There was a full size free-standing mirror too.

In room dining was 24 hours available. Some dishes were from Marco Pierre White Steakhouse, Bar & Grill. Otherwise there were for example sandwiches, starting from 5.25 GBP (ca. 5.95 Euro / ca. 6.70 USD), soup of the day 6.50 GBP (ca. 7.35 Euro / ca. 8.25 USD), Thai Chicken Curry 12.95 GBP (ca. 14.65 Euro / ca. 16.40 USD) and desserts from 2.95 GBP (ca. 3.35 Euro / ca. 3.75 USD).
Tea/coffee making facilities were available too and the tea was by Brodies of Edinburgh.

The bathroom was medium sized and stylish incl. beautifully printed tiles plus sink, toilet and shower only. There was a rainfall shower head and a hand held one. Amenities were by Aveda, which we like and use at home too.

The staff was responsive to any of our requests, like delivering more shampoo or replacing our hair dryer, when it didn’t work all of a sudden. All these services had been promptly delivered with a smile.

Our rate included breakfast, which was small, but of high quality and sufficient.

One hot item was included per guest and the cold items were served buffet style. There were three types of bread and pastries, two types of cheese and juices, some cold cuts, fresh fruits including watermelon and strawberries, one muesli, cereals, granola, milk, a smoothie, seeds and dried fruits.

The muesli was a bit difficult to get out of the container and I never figured out how the toaster was working.
Special mention has to go to the gluten free section.

We really loved our stay and thought the one night was too short. We would love to return again to this wonderful boutique hotel offering from IHG incl. Glasgow hopefully in our future.

Here's a selection of our images we took during our stay at the Hotel Indigo, Glasgow, Scotland, UK in September 2016:

Would we recommend this boutique hotel to a friend? YES! ^
Would we want to enjoy again this boutique hotel in our future when visiting Glasgow? YES! ^

Thank you and safe travels.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:17 pm

Marco Pierre White Steakhouse, Grill & Bar @ The Hotel Indigo, Glasgow, Scotland, UK [Review:Photos]

September 2016, Our Dinner experiences

During our stay at the Hotel Indigo Glasgow - please see review - my fiance and I had also dinner at Marco Pierre White Steakhouse, Bar and Grill.

We have previous positive experiences with our Marco Pierre White restaurant visits in Dublin, Ireland so we knew it would be busy and booked a table in advance. We also forwarded them during the reservation our dietary requirements.

The restaurant was glamorous with lots of pink and silver and photographs of Marco Pierre White himself.

It had high ceilings too like the lobby of the Indigo and kept some classical elements with modern touches.

The restaurant was already busy. We were greeted by the Maître d' and brought to our table.

Our fellow diners were families and older couples.

We were brought tap water and the menu. The staff was aware of our allergies, which was positive. It had happened at other restaurants that we had sent our dietary requirements, but they had been overlooked and we had to repeat them.

We ordered two pear mojito, smoked Scottish salmon, brandade of smoked mackerel and as main courses two seared yellow fin tuna steaks with panzanella salad.

All was tasty and colorful. The smoked salmon looked especially appetizing and was very thinly cut.

The tuna and panzanella salad were the perfect combination and the textures complimented each other.

Of course our sweet tooth had to be satisfied too. Our desserts were Mr. White's rice pudding with hot apricot compote and Cambridge Burnt Cream.

My fiance enjoyed his rice pudding. The apricot compote was really hot and my fiance impatient, so he burned himself once.

The burnt cream was more like a Crème Bruelee.

All portions were generous and tasty.

The bill was 73.80 GBP (ca. 84.25 Euro / ca. 94.35 USD).

The staff was attentive, friendly and efficient.

We would return due to the relaxing and convivial atmosphere, the great staff and the good food.

Here are some of our images we took during our diinner at the Marco Pierre White Steakhouse, Grill & Bar @ The Hotel Indigo, Glasgow, Scotland, UK in Sep. 2016:

Would we recommend this restaurant to a friend? Yes! ^
Would we want to enjoy lunch/dinner again in our future at this restaurant? Yes! ^

Thank you and safe travels.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:07 pm

The Cambridge burnt cream is my favourite dessert here.

I also recommend the side of snails with the steak - very nice.

Quick tip tip for anyone who isn't aware - register with the MPW website for offers as they do offers a couple of times a year which are pretty good - for example £100 gift voucher for £50 (done x2 in the last year alone) and the only restriction on it usually is that it can't be used after 5pm on a Saturday.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum

Quick tip tip for anyone who isn't aware - register with the MPW website for offers as they do offers a couple of times a year which are pretty good - for example £100 gift voucher for £50 (done x2 in the last year alone) and the only restriction on it usually is that it can't be used after 5pm on a Saturday.
The burnt cream is my favourite as well, 2nd the tip about the vouchers, I had half the office buying them on black Friday for Xmas presents
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Saral
The burnt cream is my favourite as well, 2nd the tip about the vouchers, I had half the office buying them on black Friday for Xmas presents
Thank you chrism20 and Saral, the burnt cream is indeed delicious, but so was the rice pudding.

Equal thanks for all the other info mentioned, it's good to know.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Hi all,
Curious if those who travel to Glasgow more frequently have thoughts as to whether the Indigo is worth 10,000 points more than the Holiday Inn for a one night stay. (Platinum member, solo traveler). Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Hi all,
Curious if those who travel to Glasgow more frequently have thoughts as to whether the Indigo is worth 10,000 points more than the Holiday Inn for a one night stay. (Platinum member, solo traveler). Thanks in advance.
Rooms are bigger at the Indigo compared to the HI particularly the bathrooms which in some rooms at the HI are small. On the whole the Indigo rooms are much nicer although the HI rooms have been refurbished in the last few years and are comfortable.

For F&B the bar is nicer at the Indigo but I personally think the restaurant and breakfast are better at the HI.

One thing to note is the HI is next to the bus station and is on a busy road junction and although there is additional glazing it can be quite noisy particularly at the weekends. The area around the Indigo in comparison is much quieter.

if points aren’t an issue I’d probably choose the Indigo for comfort, if you’re on a budget the HI is more than acceptable.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Rooms are bigger at the Indigo compared to the HI particularly the bathrooms which in some rooms at the HI are small. On the whole the Indigo rooms are much nicer although the HI rooms have been refurbished in the last few years and are comfortable.

For F&B the bar is nicer at the Indigo but I personally think the restaurant and breakfast are better at the HI.

One thing to note is the HI is next to the bus station and is on a busy road junction and although there is additional glazing it can be quite noisy particularly at the weekends. The area around the Indigo in comparison is much quieter.

if points aren’t an issue I’d probably choose the Indigo for comfort, if you’re on a budget the HI is more than acceptable.
Would concur with Chrism20 and add the following.

As a platinum IHG rewards member you should fare well with an upgrade at the HI, if you can get a suite (which I’ve had several times recently), these are on the 5th floor and some face the rear (away from the main road).
The lift only goes to a he 4th floor then it’s a further flight of stairs. Because you are higher up you are further from the road, so traffic noise is not as much of an issue.
I like the HI restaurant (Bon Auberge) which serves very good French style food and you may get an offer pinned to your room door. If you plan a return trip, get their (free) loyalty card which gives you a discount.
breakfast is a buffet and is pretty good, if you charge to you room in advance it is £10 instead of about £16.

Now onto the Indigo!

My experience there has been somewhat chequered!
I’ve only had about 3 stays there, two midweek and one at the weekend.
They have never offered me an upgrade and on each occasion there was a better room available to upgrade me to, despite “negotiating” at check in and showing them the available rooms on the app that they could have offered me, they refused!

I haven’t eaten at the restaurant at night, mainly because after denying me an upgrade, I chose to spend my cash elsewhere.

Breakfast was about £16 and despite asking about an advance discount, I was told one wasn’t available.

Like many other Indigo’s breakfast is cooked to order and the food quality was good.
The issue was the time I had to wait, in the week when staying on business this was a big issue, at the weekend not so much.
However, overall the staff appeared largely clueless and didn’t seem to be receiving any direction.
People were queuing to get in whilst staff wandered aimlessly collecting used plates and cutlery a single item at a time.

Basics like the bread were allowed to run out and weren’t replaced for a long time, leading to a bizarre queue followed by a scramble when they replenished it. It was somewhat reminiscent of a food queue at a refugee camp and very undignified.

The “standard” rooms I stayed in were nicely furnished, if not a little cramped, obviously can’t comment on superior rooms.

As most of my stays in Glasgow are on busines, the breakfast issues and the lack of upgrades means I have steered clear. I would like to give it another try, but past experience has discouraged me!
Adam1222 and chrism20 like this.

Last edited by adobbing; Apr 4, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:50 pm

Yes I should have mentioned that I’ve never found breakfast at Indigo to be very organised. The discount seemed to disappear at the same time as the management changed.

The Holiday Inn is good, in fact I’d go as far as to say it’s the best Holiday Inn in Scotland. Not that there are many however the only one that comes close to it is Aberdeen West

I’ve fared slightly better on the upgrade front at Indigo but other than the enhanced minibar there isn’t a big difference in the rooms unless you get the one up top which has only happened once to me.

Both are managed by the same company but the elite recognition is probably better at the HI although that has probably something to do with the owner of the HI - the legendary Maurice Taylor who was inspecting the brasswork when I was checking out at 7am the last time I was there.
@Adam1222 if you do decide to stay at the HI the loyalty card for the restaurant mentioned by @adobbing can be requested online and you can pick it up when you check-in to use during the stay. I’ve put the link at the bottom of this post for it and I seriously recommend the duck - it’s delicious.

La Bonne Auberge Glasgow Theatreland - loyalty club scheme | Glasgow restaurants with loyalty rewards
Adam1222 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.