Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ebay & the Royal Ambassador experience = beware ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat, IC Ambassador
Ebay & the Royal Ambassador experience = beware ?

Just thought I would warn others in case this happens to you.

Recently saw on eBay a Royal Ambassador referral certificate, this was from a long time eBayer with 98% positive feedback. ^

Bid a considerable sum of money for the item and won ^

The seller dispatched the item with 'deutschepost' registered post the day after the Paypal payment went through. ^

Three days later the envelope arrives ^,
opened and found, my RA certificate ?, NO all that was in it was 'two BLANK pieces of paper'

The seller replied that it must have been the post office (can't see the postman putting blank paper back in the envelope) and he will get Intercontinental to send another certificate (can't see that happening).

3 days now and no communication from the seller. have escalated the case with eBay and they tell me they have 'got it covered.'

Reminder to self,
Don't buy RA Certificate from anyone in 35641 Schöffengrund.
If the 'deutschepost' postman has luggage tag with RA platinum, follow him home.
Buy a stranger a beer or two, to visit Schöffengrund and ask for my certificate in person.
Get another RA certificate before my wife's anniversary (only from RA member)

Update 18/2/11
Ebay have now changed their minds...... the listing should not have had buyer protection included and that the first call operator was mistaken. All forms of Gift Vouchers are NOT covered by eBay, and no refund will be due.........

Have now spoken to Paypal, who say I cannot claim with them as I have already tried with eBay., Paypal are looking at removing the eBay dispute (due to the operators error) to take up the case on my behalf.

If unsuccessful the next step will be the European Small Claim Court, this will only cost £45 to put through.

Last edited by nikconnor; Feb 19, 2011 at 3:51 am
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:29 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nikconnor
Recently saw on eBay a Royal Ambassador referral certificate, this was from a long time eBayer with 98% positive feedback. ^
Ummm, 98% is not a good Ebay rating from a long time eBayer in my opinion. Of course that hardly excuses what happened to you, and someone who is an outright scammer would not have a rating that high.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Beckles
Ummm, 98% is not a good Ebay rating from a long time eBayer in my opinion. Of course that hardly excuses what happened to you, and someone who is an outright scammer would not have a rating that high.
Actually, by the way eBay calculates ratings and keeps scores, you *can* get away with providing a few small transactions to get nice positive feedback, and then screw up a big transaction. You can do it every six months or so, because your rating is only reflecting your past 6 (or is it 12?) months.

I find anything below 99% with "long time" ebayers suspicious, and *always* take time to read the feedback comments, especially for negative and neutral points.

However, this is a very clear case, and if OP has a clean eBay history, and paid for the item via Paypal, it can be easily disputed. Take note that the whole process can take a while, especially if the seller is not cooperative (a single dispute over a defective item took me 3 months, and I always had 100% buyer rating.)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold, Air Berlin Topbonus Gold, Miles & More FT, SIXT Diamond
of course it´s a shame and sad enough if you build on that cert as gift for your wife, but most important is, that Ebay covers your costs (due to payment via Paypal, I guess?).
At least you didn´t burn the money for empty hands.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:10 pm

Its the same as buying anything on ebay - most of the time it works.... every now and then it doesnt but you are generally protected.

When I read the thread title I was expecting to read that IHG had cancelled the referral because they somehow discovered you bought it on ebay.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:18 pm
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Three days later the envelope arrives ^,
opened and found, my RA certificate ?, NO all that was in it was 'two BLANK pieces of paper'
File SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) with Ebay. Ebay will require that you return the item. Get proof of mailing and ebay will refund your money.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PBQ
File SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) with Ebay. Ebay will require that you return the item. Get proof of mailing and ebay will refund your money.
Will send the blank paper back today, with a tracking number. thanks
Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:12 am
ym1

Programs: M&M, AVIS, HH, GP ...
Will send the blank paper back today, with a tracking number. thanks
If you pay with PayPal (as you mention) open claim with PayPal you will have the money back in short time from eBay you will get nothing!. When buy in eBay always pay with PayPal this way you can avoid from lost money.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
Ummm, 98% is not a good Ebay rating from a long time eBayer in my opinion.
Really? I've been on Ebay since 2003 and now only have a feedback rating of 96.8% (I don't sell that much on there) because ONE person from Thailand bought an item which he decided he then didn't want / like, tried to extort money from me by claiming the item wasn't as described (which fell flat on its face as I had independent documentation to prove that it was!), and when I refused, posted negative feedback (plus Ebay aren't interested in the slightest)!!

Back to the OPs problem, as others have said, I'm sure Paypal will resolve the issue for you before Ebay do, so file a dispute as soon as you possibly can, even if the seller is trying to "sweet talk" you.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ym1
If you pay with PayPal (as you mention) open claim with PayPal you will have the money back in short time from eBay you will get nothing!. When buy in eBay always pay with PayPal this way you can avoid from lost money.
PayPal says it will take 20 days (from Dispute) for them to make a decision. eBay says it will take 10 days.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ym1
Not always. While PP is good, I've been burned on a purchase in the past using paypal where the incident as reported was never resolved to my satisfaction. Caveat Emptor
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: National Exec, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond, TR Diamond
I would guess it was probably a hacked account. Not many people are going to start scamming from an account they've had for years. The point of sending blank pieces of paper and promises to get a new one is just an attempt to prolong the process out of the initial dispute period.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
To be honest paypal can be quite unreliable when it comes to such claims.
I once bought an item from overseas and the seller short changed me by sending half the quantity I ordered.
Paypal required me to make a police report otherwise they would not process my dispute. All this hassle even when the seller's feedback had shown that it had happened to 3 - 4 other customers, and his rating was around 93%.

I gave up in the end as it was too much effort to go down to the police station to make a report regarding an item purchased from halfway around the world.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
I too had a problem with Paypal. Bought some items described as "geniune Paul Smith." Got them and they were obviously fake. Was given 10 days to prove it - had email from Paul Smith but that couldn't be accepted. Posted item to Paul Smith, got letter back, sent to Paypal. Told that it took too long (12 days) so no good. Luckily small amount of money but annoying.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 11:45 am

Incidentally, we do know that Paypal = Ebay right? Ebay bought Paypal years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.