Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Do you consider an upgrade to a club room w/o club access to be a real upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you consider an upgrade to a club room w/o club access to be a real upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Yes you are right You are entitled to either Club access or an upgrade to a suite. I think you need to do a bit more reading of the T+Cs
Hmmm... I didnt know either. I had stays in the past were I didn't go a suite and no club acess ( IC Sydney, IC, SanFran Mark Hop.).

Where is that stated in the T&Cs?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
Originally Posted by bumburuck
Was staying at IC Dusseldorf.
had the same experience at that property. Upgraded to a Club room w/o access as Deluxe Rooms (standard upgrade for AMB) were fully booked.
When I asked about the difference they told me that club rooms have larger towels (), an i-pod docking station (), ... (can't remember).

However, I insisted on club access and finally got it Nevertheless a very strange policy in my opinion.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:56 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Trogger
Hmmm... I didnt know either. I had stays in the past were I didn't go a suite and no club acess ( IC Sydney, IC, SanFran Mark Hop.).

Where is that stated in the T&Cs?

Clause 10 under the Ambassador section:

"Upgrade to an executive room, Club InterContinental room or a suite for Royal Ambassadors at check-in."

Its pretty clear, as is the upgrades for AMBs:

"Upgrades to a Superior room will be assigned at check-in. A room one category higher than purchased will be assigned to InterContinental Ambassadors"

Club rooms are on a higher level so are often considered a superior room because of the view in a lot of cases, I had this discussion with an IC when I was an AMB, in my case the better view was not a bookable upgrade, mind you a club room without club access is not usually bookable either unless its called an executive level.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:35 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Personally, I think a club room without club access is an upgrade known as a "kick in teeth".

I've not had it happen in an IC, but in answer to nicolas75, I've had a couple of CPs who told me that would be the upgrade, when I enquired before booking. Needless to say, I stayed elsewhere!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassdor
Originally Posted by markdg
Personally, I think a club room without club access is an upgrade known as a "kick in teeth".

I've not had it happen in an IC, but in answer to nicolas75, I've had a couple of CPs who told me that would be the upgrade, when I enquired before booking. Needless to say, I stayed elsewhere!
IC London are pretty bad for this also. For Royal Ambassadors they say the maximum they will upgrade to is an Executive room, unless there are no executives available and then they will put you in a suite. I know the bare minimum they have to give for RA's is an Executive but most hotels seem to go with the Club or Suite.

The executive rooms at IC London usually, when booked, include access to the club lounge, however they will not allow RA's upgraded to an executive room access. It seems a bit harsh that they can upgrade you to a room and then take away one of the benefits of that room....
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: KF Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Gold Ambassador
IC manila is bad on this, my upgrade was to a club room without club access, they even told me about a special offer of php1000 for club access, did i get screwed?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Originally Posted by meng79
IC manila is bad on this, my upgrade was to a club room without club access, they even told me about a special offer of php1000 for club access, did i get screwed?
Even if I were just an Amb, I wouldn't accept such an "upgrade". I'd insist on club access as part of the upgrade and nothing less.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
Originally Posted by MelNorthernLine
The executive rooms at IC London usually, when booked, include access to the club lounge, however they will not allow RA's upgraded to an executive room access. It seems a bit harsh that they can upgrade you to a room and then take away one of the benefits of that room....
To be fair, though, the Executive Room at Park Lane are labelled as such - so I don't see we have much of a leg to stand on there. However, if they were labelled as "Club Rooms", I would be extremely annoyed to be given one without Club access. Of course, one could argue that Executive Rooms were named as such simply to get around that.....
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassdor
Originally Posted by markdg
To be fair, though, the Executive Room at Park Lane are labelled as such - so I don't see we have much of a leg to stand on there. However, if they were labelled as "Club Rooms", I would be extremely annoyed to be given one without Club access. Of course, one could argue that Executive Rooms were named as such simply to get around that.....
That's true... and I completely agree we wouldn't have a leg to stand on. The room is not labelled a club room but the description of the room states club access. So its basically changing the room description for RA's. I just find it a tad frustrating that the reason people have reached RA is because of the amount of business they have given to IHG, however unfortunately you get some hotels that would happily show no recognition of this and offer the bare minimum they are forced to offer.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:45 pm

IC Manila. Yes I think you did.

I was there last week and need a room for the next day emergency flight. PC/Ambassador site is fully booked and no room available. Gave them a call ( a day in advance) and mentioned that there should not be a blackout for IC Ambassadors.

Booked the cheapest room ( but asked for a double upgrade - if that is not too demanding =) ). Got assurance I have a room. Went there at around 3 PM and there was still no room available. But prior to that I called PC to email my reservation details ( and it shows my room is a King State Suite - 126 sqm with sauna).

Have to go out to do last minute biz and left my luggage ( a small one) at the top floor VIP check in. Came back at 6PM and the room is still not ready since the previous guest has extended a bit. Was offered a Junior Suite. Rejected the room as it is not even a suite and explained it to them. it doesnt even had a mini bar. Went to club lounge and at last finally checked in at 7PM.

Well, even booking the cheapest room last minute, I was given the King State Suite upgrade, free internet, free breakfast and club lounge access. Plus a bottle of red wine and welcome fruits. Can't complain but the room is a smoking room ( have stayed in the same KSR non smoking and that is way more presentable than this room and found out later the sauna is not even working).

That's my first RA stay after being a member for 3 years now.

Prior to this about 2 weeks ago ( as an Ambassador), I had a six nights PB stay in IC Dallas but was given also the top floor room, free internet and club lounge access ( though this is the smallest club lounge I have stayed in an IC) on a free stay.

So I think it depends on the IC hotel or I think it is always better to send email or give a call to get a better deal.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:36 pm

got that exact offer
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Originally Posted by Me2Earth
Well, even booking the cheapest room last minute, I was given the King State Suite upgrade, free internet, free breakfast and club lounge access. Plus a bottle of red wine and welcome fruits.
So I think it depends on the IC hotel or I think it is always better to send email or give a call to get a better deal.
You are a RA and Meng is an Amb. It stands to reason that your upgrade would be better than his.

You're right though on contacting the hotel before booking to ask about the upgrade. I always do this and if the hotel's upgrade policy is not satisfactory (i.e. IC Sydney), I will book elsewhere.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by boekel
thats nonsense. where is it defined that club access is an RA benefit. As an RA you don't receive automatically club access at an IC.
+1
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:12 am

Programs: KF Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, PC Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by mister__big
You are a RA and Meng is an Amb. It stands to reason that your upgrade would be better than his.

You're right though on contacting the hotel before booking to ask about the upgrade. I always do this and if the hotel's upgrade policy is not satisfactory (i.e. IC Sydney), I will book elsewhere.
I think i got a very raw deal, to think we (colleagues and myself) gave them more than 200 nights of business in 1.5yrs, personally I stayed around 30 nights in all. If there was a *wood in manila...

Definitely one of my least fave properties...
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:27 am
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Yes you are right You are entitled to either Club access or an upgrade to a suite. I think you need to do a bit more reading of the T+Cs
So I am still confusing myself with this

Booked a Club Room..u/g online to a Club Suite, thats a 1 level upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.