Search

UK - SE Asia, What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:16 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

UK - SE Asia, What would you do?

Hi all,

Don't really like posting advice threads as somebody who has done this trip 20+ times, but i'm just planning for our trip in early January and trying to determine how to get the best value for money.

We are travelling as a 4, with a budget of around £14k. Our final destination is HKT.

We have done many different variations including QR and EK with a stop in the Middle East, which we would not like to repeat. Most recently we've booked our outbound using Avios on BA to SIN, a pleasant overnight in Singapore and then a separate one way trip home from HKT-LHR on SQ. Ideally i'd avoid BA in Business Class again.

Without a stop in the middle east, most UK routes are in excess of £3,000 in J, TG being the most obvious, but from experience not the best product. Other options i've found today have been to fly BA LHR-HKG-SGN for £3,500pp in F - However the return is SGN-KUL-LHR, which travelling back from HKT includes quite a risk on a missed connection from HKT-SGN, it's also another leg - which I feel is probably not worth it just to fly in BA F.

For this sort of budget, should I look to be creative and re-position to EX-EU and keep a look out for a decent J or even F fare? My ideal scenario would have been LHR-HKT return with SQ, but this is out of our budget by quite a way.

Understand everyone will have their own opinions and everyone is unique, but interested to hear on what you would do personally.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Since you mentioned flying several airlines from different alliances, looks like you are flexible and not wedded to a specific alliance. In that case, why not broaden the search and consider other options e.g. LH (MUC-BKK-HKT), or BR (LHR-BKK-HKT)? Both have decent J products and no need to go via the Middle East.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.