Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation China Airlines

Hi all, a long shot I know but I am flying this week to Taiwan with China Airlines then on to Australia, just wondering if there is any corporate code or similar I could add to my booking for a possible upgrade or lounge access in Taiwan?

Many thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Tasnim
Hi all, a long shot I know but I am flying this week to Taiwan with China Airlines then on to Australia, just wondering if there is any corporate code or similar I could add to my booking for a possible upgrade or lounge access in Taiwan?

Many thanks!
That's not how upgrades or lounge access work, unfortunately.
Adam1222 and MSPpete like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, anything I can do in advance?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks, anything I can do in advance?
Acquire a credit card that includes free Priority Pass lounge membership. There are several such cards issued in the U.S.; not sure about the U.K., where your FT profile indicates you are based

Edited to add: And a belated welcome to FlyerTalk!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much, any hints on a getting an upgrade?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Nope. Some airlines will offer upgrades for cash close to departure time; I don't know whether China Airlines is one of them.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
If there were some secret hints to getting free upgrades on long haul flights, the secrets wouldn't last very long.
The best way to get an upgrade is to buy one.
MSPpete likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:11 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Unfortunately, most of the suggestions you'll read in articles -- tell the gate agent you're on your honeymoon, dress neatly, bring a gift -- are bogus. Not sure about China Airlines, but most airlines have long lists of elite fliers (their most loyal customers) who are waiting for an upgrade and don't get them, so gate agents aren't going to risk getting fired by breaking company policy to upgrade someone who hasn't earned the right.

If you want to get upgraded, have already bought your ticket and don't have status with the airline, you will almost certainly have to pay money for an upgrade. There really aren't any secret workarounds. In very limited circumstances, passengers on oversold flights might be offered the opportunity to get rebooked on a later flight in a premium cabin, but even that is pretty infrequent.
beckoa likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help, just got to slum it in economy I guess, bit hard to say on honeymoon when travelling with 3 children lol!
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for all the help, just got to slum it in economy I guess, bit hard to say on honeymoon when travelling with 3 children lol!
I think if traveling with 4 people, even a cheap upgrade is highly highly unlikely
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

I will wear my short skirt just in case, lol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.