Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Housing gap- use hotel loyalty programs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2024, 8:34 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to downsize. I sold my home and new purchase fell through. I've used Airbnb but, they've gotten expensive so I'm wondering if maximizing hotel loyalty programs would be better? Willing to move around and use the next few months as semi-retirement-vacation, primarily in SE USA. I don't know if I should try to stick to 1 brand, or chase promos amongst them? Anybody have any tips? I'd like to keep under 3K/mo, if possible. Thanks.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Probably best to chase promos and multi-night combos. One thing I'd recommend is getting the IHG credit card, which gives you a fourth night free every time you book four nights with points. You can book hotels in GA for reasonably cheap - I'm seeing rates as low as 15K per night. IHG often has 100% bonus point purchase promos, right now they're offering an 80% bonus. That would get you 270,000 points for $1500, which would cover 18 nights.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Current IHG Premier card sign-up bonus here:

https://www.ihg.com/onerewards/content/us/en/creditcard

The problem, though, is that you have to be prepared to move around: redemption rates can vary widely at any one property from night to night. Some properties may be cheaper on weekends, others may be cheaper during the week. But definitely keep an eye out for the 100% point-bonus offer referenced above.
Misty Moon and Brendan like this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Other things to consider. Maybe look into a suite type room, with a small kitchen to save on eating out, get a bit larger room for extra space. Check if hotel has a laundry facility, as well as free parking. Just my .02
Old Feb 29, 2024, 5:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

Also, check to see if the rooms manager will give you a discounted rate for a 30 day stay. And see if taxes are waived for that length of stay.

Definitely sign up for hotel loyalty programs. Get the credit card for whatever chain you decide to primarily stay. I'm not necessarily suggesting Hilton, but it has several credit cards that give nice sign up bonuses.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Dumb question- who is the Rooms Manager?
Old Mar 1, 2024, 3:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Misty Moon
Dumb question- who is the Rooms Manager?
Not dumb. I should have said Sales Manager. It's the person who negotiates rates for weddings, for sports group, and hopefully for a long term stay such as you might potentially make. I'd be looking at the brands that have mini kitchens so you can control food expenses. Also, it gets very boring to eat out every meal.
Misty Moon likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Many of the (cheaper) extended stay brands in the hotel loyalty chains only give 50% credit, so make sure you are aware of which ones going in.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Many of the (cheaper) extended stay brands in the hotel loyalty chains only give 50% credit, so make sure you are aware of which ones going in.
Does that mean, they give only 50% award points per night? That's interesting.
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Yes, and they sometimes give only ½ night credit per night. So if you stay 6 nights, you would only get credit for 3 nights toward higher frequent guest status.

Make sure to check out the frequent guest program rules before committing.
Misty Moon and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The OP should also keep an eye on next month's "Daily Getaways" offers from the U.S. Travel Association. Among other things, they frequently offer batches of IHG Rewards points at 0.5¢/points. These Daily Getaways points are not subject to the annual limit on purchasing IHG Rewards points directly from IHG.

Information about Daily Getaways here:

https://www.ustravel.org/programs/daily-getaways
Misty Moon likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 3:14 am

Using hotel loyalty programs can help bridge your housing gap affordably, especially with rising Airbnb costs. In the Southeast USA, exploring different programs and promotions can keep your monthly expenses under $3,000. Whether to stick to one brand or chase promotions depends on your preferences and cost-saving opportunities.
Misty Moon likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:32 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Currently, Marriott has a worthwhile promo that includes 1000 points per nights + double nightly stay bonus. With their CC, you can be off to a nice start with that program.
Yes, to easily staying under $3000/month in SE. Best advice you have received to date is to check minimum amount of nights needed to escape taxes. 28 or 30 days minimum is common. Depends on state/county/local laws and ordinances. Can vary widely and is very important to manage costs. A downside to long term stays is it precludes staying in a different hotel with same flag during your long term stay. I'm in fifth year of doing long term at same property. Previous years I'd book long enough to avoid taxes. Maybe check out three times per year and move around. This year, it's 290+ days. Probably 70 of those days will be spent on ships so losing 70 x the daily rate hurts. The logic behind what looks to be quite stupid is that my stuff stays safe and for a five month period the hotel's ADR is quadruple the price I am paying for best suite in the house.

Who you communicate with at the hotel is all important. It's a real life negotiation that is not always or even commonly available.
Brendan, SPN Lifer and Misty Moon like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
If you can afford $3k a month, curious why you wouldn't/couldn't find an apartment (furnished or un-) with a 6 month lease while you figure things out?

Seems more comfortable to me, but I am not you! Hope you find something that works for you!
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
My cousin lives in a hotel in Pittsburgh (thinks it’s a Marriott Townplace suites or something similar). It’s 3 blocks from where he works and allows him to leave for the summer when he’s not working. He doesn’t pay taxes when stay is longer than 30 days. It includes free breakfast and has a gym he uses daily. He’s getting it for $62 a night so it’s way cheaper than paying rent and he gets more, plus he’s getting a ton of Marriott points. He does pay for a parking space in a nearby garage since parking is not included but it totally works for him so definitely see what options are available.

He thinks others have figured it out as he says he sees a lot of the same people in the gym each day. He gets cleaning once a week and calls for fresh towels as needed. He made a deal with an employee that washes his laundry each week. It works for him and his sister said she was so surprised because even with parking and a storage unit, he’s still spending less than getting an apartment in the same area.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.