Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Housing gap- use hotel loyalty programs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Housing gap- use hotel loyalty programs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:12 am

Find A Deal and Hang On

Originally Posted by Misty Moon
I'm trying to downsize. I sold my home and new purchase fell through. I've used Airbnb but, they've gotten expensive so I'm wondering if maximizing hotel loyalty programs would be better? Willing to move around and use the next few months as semi-retirement-vacation, primarily in SE USA. I don't know if I should try to stick to 1 brand, or chase promos amongst them? Anybody have any tips? I'd like to keep under 3K/mo, if possible. Thanks.
I feel like we are semi pros at this. We sold our home at the end of 2022. We lived in a senior apt building at around $1600/month for the first 6 months of 2023, then spent till 19 September waiting, not so patiently, for our elective residence visas to move to Italy.

The first 10 days were in an AirBnB nearby, at about $70/night, all in. While we were there, I searched for long term rentals, and found Extended Stay America at a price of around $63/night including tax.

It was less than luxurious but the location was great. And with the mini kitchen, at least we could make meals, so didn’t go out every night ( be sure to factor eating out into the cost.).

We got very tired of that place, having spent three weeks there. We spent three nights in a forgettable place, then I found a real bargain: a LaQuinta in a good location for $72/night including tax. And it included a hot breakfast.

We stayed there for 5 weeks. Got a ton of points, became silver in a program I’d never before used, learned to detest powdered scrambled eggs, and saved money.

They had made an exception to let us stay there that long, so we rounded out with 5 nights at a Four Points, where breakfast wasn’t free, but cheap and higher quality. And picked up a few Bonvoys.

Our very last night, we splurged by staying at the the MSP Intercontinental. Three minutes by shuttle with nearly the max luggage allowed in J on our way to VCE, and easy for our son to pick up Husband after he sold the car, and for us to take him out to a good bye dinner.

We ended up spending, on average, about $3000/month, your goal amount. It wasn’t great, but we got to know different parts of the Twin Cities, and which places had the best happy hour meals.

It would have been better, even with most our furniture gone by then, to have stayed in the apartment an extra month, at least. And, honestly, that’s what I’d recommend for you: a clean but modest apartment, if you are looking at 6 months or more.

Wyndham rewards aren’t that great for redemption in Italy. But there are a few where we can use the points.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Also, check to see if the rooms manager will give you a discounted rate for a 30 day stay. And see if taxes are waived for that length of stay.

Definitely sign up for hotel loyalty programs. Get the credit card for whatever chain you decide to primarily stay. I'm not necessarily suggesting Hilton, but it has several credit cards that give nice sign up bonuses.
I used to do a lot of long term three months assignments around the country. Often, I could get a monthly rate that was exceptional. I remember getting a $1000 per month rate at a Mission Viejo, CA Fairfield inn during a recession. The monthly rate was great as 1) I could keep my clothes and stuff in the room on the weekends I was done AND after 30 days, there was no room tax.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jlawrence01
I used to do a lot of long term three months assignments around the country. Often, I could get a monthly rate that was exceptional. I remember getting a $1000 per month rate at a Mission Viejo, CA Fairfield inn during a recession. The monthly rate was great as 1) I could keep my clothes and stuff in the room on the weekends I was done AND after 30 days, there was no room tax.
In many jurisdictions, after you stay 30 days, the hotel gives you a refund of the taxes for the first t30 days. However, different hotels in the same place can have different rules, such as requiring you to sign a lease-like document. There also can be problems if for some reason (even beyond your control) you change rooms during your stay.

I'm a bit confused about whether the OP is just looking for a cheap temporary fully furnished (or serviced) place to stay versus wanting to pay for much of the stay with new credit card sign up bonuses versus wanting to earn a ton of hotel points.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.