Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Putting together a trip to Scotland in September

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Putting together a trip to Scotland in September

I'm planning to fly out of RDU, to Edinburgh. I'd love to return from Edinburgh, but I'm not finding any rewards flights, so my trip is now open jaw, returning from London. (In Sept.)
I have points in AMEX, Chase, and Citi.
The best flights I've found are on United.
So I was trying to decide whether I should book through ANA or Avianca. ANA is more points, but very easy to transfer and book an open jaw. Avianca is cheaper points and money, but there are so many horror stories about transferring points to them that I'm a little worried. And I guess I'd have to do 2 one way tickets to get the open jaw.
I had just convinced myself to spend the extra points, when I noticed that ANA has a clause saying I can only book for immediate family. And my fiance is not, technically, my family.

So now my brain is too full, and I can't make a decision.
Can a more experienced person offer some advice?

Thanks,
JoAnne
Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

You said you've found flights on United. But you're considering booking with ANA or Avianca. Is there a reason to not move your Chase Ultimate Reward points to United and book with them? Is the flight cheaper thru another carrier? And if so, have you checked Air Canada?
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA
As always, be aware of schedule changes on award flights. Avianca and ANA do not fly to EDI so if there is a schedule change and your original set of flights do not work out, then rebooking you requires new award availability, which you may or may not be able to find.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

different programs, different prices

on United, it's 120,000 +$ 400.50
booked through ANA, it's 110,000 and $389.00
on Avianca it's 80,000 and $490
air canada is 140,000, and $535.

I would lean towards ANA, it seems the best option for points, price, and ease of booking.

Except that little bit about booking for relatives only.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

Do you have a round trip organized with ANA? ANA Mileage Club will require a round-trip award,
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 1:58 am

Seems expensive considering paid flights are likely around $1-1200. Consider Glasgow and one-ways on other Alliances. Icelandair might also be attractive with a stopover in KEF - they fly direct to RDU. If flexible and adventurous maybe fly from EDI to the Faroe Islands - on to KEF and then RDU.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 8:55 am
Original Poster

scotland

Yes, I was planning an open jaw on ANA with RDU-EDI, and LON-RDU

Eril123 thanks for the input, I'll dig through a few of those options!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.