Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long to safely leave incoming luggage on carousel before picking it up

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2023, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

How long to safely leave incoming luggage on carousel before picking it up

Three of us are flying in to YVR tomorrow from three different domestic departure points. We arrive a few hours apart and then proceed to our hotel.

I have some free lounge access (airside only) which does not require a departing boarding pass. After arriving at YVR I'd like to check in to the lounge to hang out a few hours while awaiting the later arriving companions. But if I get my luggage from the carousel then I will not be able to use the lounge as I will be outside the security area and cannot get back in.

Of course there is nothing of value in my luggage (toiletries and a couple of days change of clothing).

Wondering how advisable or un-advisable it is to delay claiming my luggage for two to three hours before picking it up. I imagine after lying unclaimed on the carousel for 1/2 hour or so the Air Canada staff would pick it up and set it aside. I am guessing it is a bad idea but want to know others' experience.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If bags are not claimed within a relatively short period of time, airlines will remove them from the baggage carousel (assuming that no one has stolen them) and store them in the baggage office. I don't think that it's a particular bad idea, as long as you're willing to risk the theft of your bag. (I have no idea how prevalent baggage theft is at YVR.)
Old Feb 18, 2023, 2:42 am

At domestic they seem to care less than the international arrivals area, last time I was there a month ago, there were bags still sitting on the belt from a flight that had landed ~2 hours ago. If the employees do care though, they'll be taken off the belt and then put either aside or into the baggage office.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Now I have to balance the risk of losing some cheap luggage and old clothes vs. the benefit of two airport lounge meals
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.