Reload this Page >

LH cancelled flight

LH cancelled flight

Old Jul 4, 22, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

LH cancelled flight

Hi all,

Would appreciate some advice.

Got an email from LH saying the return flight from Frankfurt to LHR in August has been cancelled - offered either a full refund of the whole booking amount or an alternative flight which is two hours later. If we chose the latter option, they said something about being able to get a partial refund/compensation after the flight. The delay will inconvenience us somewhat as it's having a knock on effect on our schedule and plans to get back home. But cancelling altogether and rebooking means paying around twice the price for similar flights!
I called LH to clarify - they said customer services would need to be contacted after our flight to find out more re partial refunds. Couldn't give me more info.

Does anyone know if there's any legislation about this ie airline cancelling and offering alternative, and whether this automatically qualifies for refunds/compensation, and does anyone have any links?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 4, 22, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 4vi4tion View Post
Got an email from LH saying the return flight from Frankfurt to LHR in August has been cancelled - offered either a full refund of the whole booking amount or an alternative flight which is two hours later. If we chose the latter option, they said something about being able to get a partial refund/compensation after the flight. The delay will inconvenience us somewhat as it's having a knock on effect on our schedule and plans to get back home. But cancelling altogether and rebooking means paying around twice the price for similar flights!
I called LH to clarify - they said customer services would need to be contacted after our flight to find out more re partial refunds. Couldn't give me more info.

Does anyone know if there's any legislation about this ie airline cancelling and offering alternative, and whether this automatically qualifies for refunds/compensation, and does anyone have any links?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles-points-1/
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...iles-more-495/
Old Jul 6, 22, 7:50 am

Programs: TK Elite
There is no partial refund of a ticket that you have accepted to rebook (because you didn't decide to cancel the ticket, fully or partly). There is no compensation under the current EU Reg. 261/04 for incidentalt costs incurred or inconvenience due to a cancellation. The regulation operates with fixed amounts as comp. for cancellation of a flight, however, this far out (> 14 days) there is no right to compensation. Hence, any req. for compensation is likely to be denied.
4vi4tion and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you ask LH to switch you to an earlier return flight the same day rather than the one that's two hours later? It sounds like you haven't accepted their proposed change. Research the possibilities and then call LH and ask for the flights you want (by flight number and times).
4vi4tion and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Can you ask LH to switch you to an earlier return flight the same day rather than the one that's two hours later? It sounds like you haven't accepted their proposed change. Research the possibilities and then call LH and ask for the flights you want (by flight number and times).
Thanks for that. Issue is other earlier times are not quite ideal.. Could they put us on a BA flight which is more favourable timewise? Otherwise might have to just get a refund and rebook with BA...albeit risky in this day and age!!
Old Jul 8, 22, 9:40 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks for that. Issue is other earlier times are not quite ideal.. Could they put us on a BA flight which is more favourable timewise? Otherwise might have to just get a refund and rebook with BA...albeit risky in this day and age!!
You have nothing to lose (other than phone time) from asking LH to rebook you onto the BA flight you prefer, although LH is likely to want to rebook you first onto a LH flight, then a LH Group flight (Swiss, Austrian, etc.), then some close partner such as UA, then other Star Alliance, and finally other (generally full service) carriers with which LH interlines, including BA.

How far apart are the times? Even if the earlier LH flight isn't ideal for you, I'd advise you to take it if LH won't rebook you onto the BA flight you want. With all of the delays and cancellations that are happening now, it's good to plan to allow a bit of extra time to travel if you need to be someplace that day.
4vi4tion likes this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
You have nothing to lose (other than phone time) from asking LH to rebook you onto the BA flight you prefer, although LH is likely to want to rebook you first onto a LH flight, then a LH Group flight (Swiss, Austrian, etc.), then some close partner such as UA, then other Star Alliance, and finally other (generally full service) carriers with which LH interlines, including BA.

How far apart are the times? Even if the earlier LH flight isn't ideal for you, I'd advise you to take it if LH won't rebook you onto the BA flight you want. With all of the delays and cancellations that are happening now, it's good to plan to allow a bit of extra time to travel if you need to be someplace that day.
The only one showing availability is nearly 3 hours earlier, but I'm not sure if what we can see online is different to the seats they can offer. I suspect not.

The problem with accepting is you lose rights to getting a refund afterwards... I'll call them and see what options they offer and see if it includes other carriers... It's such a headache at the moment with all these cancellations and uncertainty...
Old Jul 9, 22, 1:02 am

The only one showing availability is nearly 3 hours earlier, but I'm not sure if what we can see online is different to the seats they can offer. I suspect not.

The problem with accepting is you lose rights to getting a refund afterwards... I'll call them and see what options they offer and see if it includes other carriers... It's such a headache at the moment with all these cancellations and uncertainty...
If you call them to ask for options, most agents will just tell you whatever is easiest and fastest for them to rebook which will be LH. YOU need to decide what options you want first (research, so that you can tell the agent the flight numbers and exact times for the new flights you want) and then call the airline to ask for the option you want. If they say no, then ask for your second best option, etc.
4vi4tion likes this.

Search this Thread