Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Inappropriate CBP questions

Old May 29, 22, 11:22 am
Original Poster

When I travel to a foreign country, I am essentially asking permission to enter, so I expect and am totally unfazed by questions that might otherwise seem intrusive or personal.

But when I am returning home to my own country of citizenship (in this case, the United States), I find those questions very off-putting.

I was returning to the U.S. via Miami this week from a country of "high scrutiny" shall we say, but it was a country that I traveled to many times before. The questions from the agent were very much of a personal nature, about my boyfriend, how we met, his name, his citizenship status. I answered them truthfully and was "let back in" after a minimal delay, but I found the experience disagreeable.

As a citizen, I really only wish to have a few cursory questions and then, "Welcome back" from a CBP agent. Am I being unreasonable?
altabello likes this.
Old May 29, 22, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A post for https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...?daysprune=100
Old May 29, 22, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Gold, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by ewoo View Post
Am I being unreasonable?

Yes, very.
RetiredATLATC, rljan and JPG3392 like this.
Old May 29, 22, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this, but that does seem like a better location if a moderator wishes to move it.
Old May 29, 22, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Iím pretty sure youíre not required to answer. Now, if youíre traveling with your boyfriend, and heís not a citizen, it could affect his entry.
ewoo and altabello like this.
Old May 29, 22, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Iím pretty sure youíre not required to answer. Now, if youíre traveling with your boyfriend, and heís not a citizen, it could affect his entry.
He was not with me. I was returning alone.

I googled some ACLU stuff and the sum of their answer is that you're only required to answer the bare minimum upon returning to the country but perceived evasion could lead to delays....which is generally not worth it.

In my experience, when there is no line, agents tend to be more chatty...when there are a million people waiting, they're more likely to do a quick glance at the passport and send you on your way. It was a slow day, so I may have just caught a "chatty" agent.
Old May 30, 22, 6:40 am

I donít want to assume OPís gender but I know someone who was asked exactly the same question. He responded, ďGrindr. Would you like to know anything else, sir?Ē

The officer quickly waved him along.
asovse1 and ewoo like this.
Old May 30, 22, 9:41 am

They are only really allowed to ask questions to confirm your identity, name and last name, and citizenship status (if you are a US citizen). For non-US citizens, they can ask anything they want.

However, if you don't answer other questions as a us citizen, you may end up for hours in secondary inspection.
Old May 30, 22, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
This is one of the reasons why I'm glad I have Global Entry, in-n-out of immigration in less than 5 mins. For the most part, once the agent see the GE slip, they waved me through, I sometimes get a "welcome back" if I'm lucky lol
ewoo likes this.
Old May 30, 22, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR-G, HH-S, IHG, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by smartytravel View Post
They are only really allowed to ask questions to confirm your identity, name and last name, and citizenship status (if you are a US citizen).
That was when an immigration officer was only an immigration officer. But nowadays at most airports of entry, the same person is now also the primary customs screener.
ewoo likes this.

Search this Thread