FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Inappropriate CBP questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/2081019-inappropriate-cbp-questions.html)

ewoo May 29, 2022 11:22 am

Inappropriate CBP questions

When I travel to a foreign country, I am essentially asking permission to enter, so I expect and am totally unfazed by questions that might otherwise seem intrusive or personal.

But when I am returning home to my own country of citizenship (in this case, the United States), I find those questions very off-putting.

I was returning to the U.S. via Miami this week from a country of "high scrutiny" shall we say, but it was a country that I traveled to many times before. The questions from the agent were very much of a personal nature, about my boyfriend, how we met, his name, his citizenship status. I answered them truthfully and was "let back in" after a minimal delay, but I found the experience disagreeable.

As a citizen, I really only wish to have a few cursory questions and then, "Welcome back" from a CBP agent. Am I being unreasonable?

Mwenenzi May 29, 2022 3:33 pm

A post for https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trav...?daysprune=100

WestCoastPDX May 29, 2022 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ewoo (Post 34290043)
Am I being unreasonable?

Yes, very.

ewoo May 29, 2022 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 34290580)

I wasn't sure where to post this, but that does seem like a better location if a moderator wishes to move it.

Jaimito Cartero May 29, 2022 7:26 pm

I’m pretty sure you’re not required to answer. Now, if you’re traveling with your boyfriend, and he’s not a citizen, it could affect his entry.

ewoo May 29, 2022 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 34290936)
I’m pretty sure you’re not required to answer. Now, if you’re traveling with your boyfriend, and he’s not a citizen, it could affect his entry.

He was not with me. I was returning alone.

I googled some ACLU stuff and the sum of their answer is that you're only required to answer the bare minimum upon returning to the country but perceived evasion could lead to delays....which is generally not worth it.

In my experience, when there is no line, agents tend to be more chatty...when there are a million people waiting, they're more likely to do a quick glance at the passport and send you on your way. It was a slow day, so I may have just caught a "chatty" agent.

danielflyer May 30, 2022 6:40 am

I don’t want to assume OP’s gender but I know someone who was asked exactly the same question. He responded, “Grindr. Would you like to know anything else, sir?”

The officer quickly waved him along.

smartytravel May 30, 2022 9:41 am

They are only really allowed to ask questions to confirm your identity, name and last name, and citizenship status (if you are a US citizen). For non-US citizens, they can ask anything they want.

However, if you don't answer other questions as a us citizen, you may end up for hours in secondary inspection.

flyer89 May 30, 2022 11:33 am

This is one of the reasons why I'm glad I have Global Entry, in-n-out of immigration in less than 5 mins. For the most part, once the agent see the GE slip, they waved me through, I sometimes get a "welcome back" if I'm lucky lol

HkCaGu May 30, 2022 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by smartytravel (Post 34292291)
They are only really allowed to ask questions to confirm your identity, name and last name, and citizenship status (if you are a US citizen).

That was when an immigration officer was only an immigration officer. But nowadays at most airports of entry, the same person is now also the primary customs screener.