Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL/ANA miles vs Chase points

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

JAL/ANA miles vs Chase points

I was planning to transfer Chase Sapphire points to ANA or JAL miles (so I can finally try flying business class), but I just noticed the estimated value on https://thepointsguy.com/guide/monthly-valuations/ is 2 cents for Chase and 1.4 cents for ANA (they don't have JAL). Is there a much better way to spend Chase points?

What puzzles me is that I come up with a much higher valuation for ANA miles. Looking at SFO-TYO this summer, I see non-stop business is $8k, first class $20k (30% cheaper with a stopover and a less nice airline).

The mileage requirements are:
  • ANA
    • Business 75-85-90k (low-mid-high season)
    • First 150-150-165k (low-mid-high season)
  • JAL
    • Business 50k
    • First 70k
So the $8k business fare and the 180k ANA points for the return flight suggest 1 ANA mile = 4.4 cents, not 1.4. Why such a discrepancy? I guess I'm wrong somewhere, because by my calculation 1 JAL = 8 cents, which is too insane to be real.

I understand that the miles value is lower for the economy class, but IIUC business (or upgrades to business) is considered the sweet spot for miles usage.
Old May 19, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA
Chase can't transfer points to JAL. Don't read too much into the valuations that other people assign; if you've found a good redemption, go for it. Obligatory warning about Japan not being open for general tourism.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Ah oops somehow I just assumed Chase transfers to all airlines Thanks!

​​​​​​I'll plan to transfer for ANA then. If someone has any recommendations for a more efficient use of Chase points for SFO/TYO business tickets, please share!
Old May 19, 2022, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmoroz

​​​​​​I'll plan to transfer for ANA then. If someone has any recommendations for a more efficient use of Chase points for SFO/TYO business tickets, please share!
USA issued card?
Old May 19, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Don't overlook the possibility of transferring UR points to Virgin Atlantic, and then redeeming for travel on ANA:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/ana-pa...-now-possible/

Edited to add:

See also this thread in the Virgin Atlantic forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virg...ub-points.html

Last edited by guv1976; May 19, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Old May 20, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
UR don't transfer to ANA nor JAL so your plan won't work there. UR do transfer to partners of both airlines that allow for redemption when Saver level award space is available.

When evaluating costs of 1-way tickets you'll get an overinflated valuation as 1-ways are generally much more expensive and can even be pricier than a return ticket. If you want a realistic valuation look at the cost of a return ticket and divide in half.

Old May 20, 2022, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
UR don't transfer to ANA nor JAL so your plan won't work there. UR do transfer to partners of both airlines that allow for redemption when Saver level award space is available.
Ah, thank you! I don't know where I got this idea that UR is universal points --> miles transfer machine.

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
When evaluating costs of 1-way tickets you'll get an overinflated valuation as 1-ways are generally much more expensive and can even be pricier than a return ticket. If you want a realistic valuation look at the cost of a return ticket and divide in half.
Yes, I did do that (the numbers I quoted were for return flight and I converted them to return-flight-miles).

Thanks, yes, US.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Don't overlook the possibility of transferring UR points to Virgin Atlantic, and then redeeming for travel on ANA:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/ana-pa...-now-possible/

See also this thread in the Virgin Atlantic forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virg...ub-points.html
That is my main option at this point, seeing as the only good airlines flying this route non-stop are JAL and ANA. I guess one more alternative is fly from LAX, and transfer points to Singapore Airlines. An extra 1 hour Southwest flight is not a big deal.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...That is my main option at this point, seeing as the only good airlines flying this route non-stop are JAL and ANA. I guess one more alternative is fly from LAX, and transfer points to Singapore Airlines. An extra 1 hour Southwest flight is not a big deal.
Airlines flying a route and *available* business class awards are very different things.
You need to check the ffp's you are considering. Some take a dim view of newbie's joining, transferring in credit card points and immediately redeeming for premium awards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haneda_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narita...tional_Airport
Old May 21, 2022, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Some take a dim view of newbie's joining, transferring in credit card points and immediately redeeming for premium awards.
Ouch. Does it mean they have a right to simply not honor my miles because they are too new?

And how would I even check that? Do I call them and ask whether, if I transfer points tomorrow, they would honor them a month later?
Old May 21, 2022, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ouch. Does it mean they have a right to simply not honor my miles because they are too new?

And how would I even check that? Do I call them and ask whether, if I transfer points tomorrow, they would honor them a month later?
Some airline FF programs have audited/closed accounts over this issue. You can't use an account that's under audit and typically you can't do anything to impact the speed or outcome of the audit. When an account is closed, you lose all points and any status. You might be prohibited from every again participating in that airline's FF program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.