Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Chase points on Alaska this summer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Using Chase points on Alaska this summer

I am hoping to go up to Alaska this summer using my Chase points. Qantas and American aren't showing any availability for any dates this summer past about mid June. British Airways website keeps on saying that none of their partners fly to Alaska, which they obviously do.

So, my question is this. Should I wait a bit longer to see if any award availability pops up? Or just use points + cash on the Chase portal. Using miles as awards would most likely be the best deal. Or is Alaska in the summer in such high demand that Alaska Airlines probably doesn't release awards to their partners.

On Alaska Airlines itself, it does show availability at the lowest level (40k from Houston to Nome), but Chase doesn't transfer to Alaska.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by KevinOfOz
I am hoping to go up to Alaska this summer using my Chase points. Qantas and American aren't showing any availability for any dates this summer past about mid June. British Airways website keeps on saying that none of their partners fly to Alaska, which they obviously do.

So, my question is this. Should I wait a bit longer to see if any award availability pops up? Or just use points + cash on the Chase portal. Using miles as awards would most likely be the best deal. Or is Alaska in the summer in such high demand that Alaska Airlines probably doesn't release awards to their partners.

On Alaska Airlines itself, it does show availability at the lowest level (40k from Houston to Nome), but Chase doesn't transfer to Alaska.
Is Nome where you want to go, or were you just citing that as an example? Is 40K one-way or roundtrip? First Class or Coach?

If you ultimately can't find award availability on AS with any Chase partner, then it's a moot point. If you can find award availability, redeeming BAEC Avios would be a poor choice, because connections are not free: BAEC charges for each segment flown.

Using aa.com is a good way to search for award flights on AS that are likely to be available to partners.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Nome is actually where I want to go as part of an Alaska trip. That is 40k Alaska miles one way in coach.

I was mostly wondering if it is likely at all that Alaska would release seats to its partners or if that is probably it for the summer. I am looking to travel in July.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Nome is actually where I want to go as part of an Alaska trip. That is 40k Alaska miles one way in coach.

I was mostly wondering if it is likely at all that Alaska would release seats to its partners or if that is probably it for the summer. I am looking to travel in July.
Unfortunately, I'm not competent to weigh in on that. You might consider asking a Moderator to move this thread to the Alaska Airlines forum, as the FTers who frequent that forum will probably know more.

I'm pretty sure that 40K AS miles for a one-way in Coach from IAH to OME is not the lowest redemption rate offered on that route, so not likely to be available to partners.

I do see scattered partner availability for ANC-OME in July. Maybe look at getting from IAH to ANC with cash or miles, and then use BAEC Avios for ANC-OME if that is more cost effective than a cash ticket between IAH and OME.

And a belated welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KevinOfOz Welcome to FT
A very general guide to award cost (but not availiblity)-->https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=HOU&t...=0&c=y&s=1&p=1

Look here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.