Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

UK Based Traveller About To Conquer the world.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Based Traveller About To Conquer the world.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Post deleted

This post has been deleted

Last edited by Michael Anthony Gell; Dec 11, 2022 at 8:44 pm Reason: Deleting post
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Congratulations and good luck with your travels.

I the UK, Tesco Clubcard is something you should have. The points can be converted to Avios at a very good rate.

Also, a miles-earning credit card. I've been away from the UK for too long to recommend specific ones though.

Topcashback.co.uk also converts to Avios and costs nothing to have.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:11 am

I'm in a similar boat (8-month-old and 5-year-old), but we're only doing two months in April and May. I will keep a close eye on this thread.

You and I don't have enough miles to make a dent, so it will have to be paid flights. Compare an itinerary on Google Flights to an RTW flight. A good tip is to use LCCs whenever possible, and avoid booking those legs too far in advance or as part of the RTW flight, UNLESS the cost is negligible. There is this balance between saving money and remaining flexible. If you're a really good planner and need everything to be set in stone, then you might have an easier time with this, but I can't commit until very late.

Finally, carry AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. The fewer bags, the better, and I mean one backpack each, and maybe extra daypacks. For all of you. We did a month when my first-born was a year old, and we had an Osprey Farpoint 70 (that's a pack and daypack attached, an Osprey Excapist 32, and that's it. If it works for a month, it'll work for a year.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks both for your help, especially for the Osprey advice, will have a deeper look into this closer to the time.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:53 am

Hopefully for you the virus scare will have died down by the time you travel at year's end. For us, it is getting more likely that we might be grounded in April and May, especially after Italy shut itself down. Germany has open borders, and I have a feeling it's going to get worse here...
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Amazing what can change in a month!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.