Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Can I take only the first leg of a connecting flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

New here, so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I am currently looking at some flights between Bali and Kuala Lumpur. They cost £90. However If I book a flight from Bali to Jakarta which stops in Kuala Lumpur for 15 hours the price is only £45.

Is there any way to only take the first flight and then collect my bag in KL? I know normally the bags are checked through, but wondered if anyone has heard of doing something like this and asking at check-in that their bag was not checked through to the final destination?

Does the airline matter? if so it is Malaysia Airlines.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robandjenny
New here, so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I am currently looking at some flights between Bali and Kuala Lumpur. They cost £90. However If I book a flight from Bali to Jakarta which stops in Kuala Lumpur for 15 hours the price is only £45.

Is there any way to only take the first flight and then collect my bag in KL? I know normally the bags are checked through, but wondered if anyone has heard of doing something like this and asking at check-in that their bag was not checked through to the final destination?

Does the airline matter? if so it is Malaysia Airlines.

Thanks in advance
DPS-KUL-CGK. Surprised MH Malaysia Airlines will sell you a flight from Indonesia to Indonesia via a 2 second country.

Hidden city ticketing. A well know term. Frowned up on by airlines. Generally airlines will not short check luggage. At that price, checked luggage is likley to be extra to the headline air fare.
If this a return ticket, it will auto cancel when/if you no show KUL-CGK.

For the small amount of money and the many airlines from DPS personally I would not do this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngurah...tional_Airport

A recent thread ---> United asking gate agents to report hidden ticket travelers
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

It is an odd flight I admit, not one I have seen before. Checked luggage is actually included which is why I was thinking of jumping on it!

It is a one-way which is exactly what i want anyway. (we are hopping around Asian countries at the moment)

However, by the sounds of it, it is a bit risky and the airline is unlikely to meet my request in only checking my bag for half the route. Darn! Missed some cracking mistake fares the other day, so now anything more than 30 bucks seems unreasonable.. haha

I admit it is a bit of an odd one which I hadn't seen before. And it actually includes luggage which is why I was trying to jump on it straight away! One way is fine we are hopping around Asian countries at the moment, don't have a destination, origin or base right now.

I think you are telling me what I already knew though, that I am unlikely to get the airline to be happy about this and allow me to only check my bags half way!

I missed out on a couple mistake fares a few days ago, so any flight over £20 feels painful!! :'(

Last edited by chgoeditor; Aug 2, 2019 at 11:43 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If your stay in KL is overnight, the airline will probably short-check your luggage to KUL. Especially if you have a "gift" for a friend you are meeting there - i.e. a liquid or something you can't carry on board.

However in normal circumstances they won't short-check luggage. And as mentioned you could end up in trouble, depending on the airline. So do this infrequently...
robandjenny likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Your bags will be checked all the way to CGK for sure (MH will never agree to short check your bag only to KUL)

Why don't you book a overnight connection at KUL? MH will most likely accept to check bags to KUL only if you have to stay in KUL over night.

Anyway, even if your bags are checked to all the way to CGK you can always re-claim your bags at KUL stating that you don't feel well and are not able to travel KUL-CGK. It may take some time for MH to relocate and deliver the bags though.
robandjenny likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:50 am
Original Poster

These are great tips! I am actually thinking of mixing it up entirely and stopping for a couple weeks in KL. Very odd pricing strategy on this route.

Thanks for the help
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Another problem with the original plan is that, as far as the airline knows, you want to be in Jakarta. They have agreed to get you there. That your original itinerary had you reaching it by way of KL is, to them, incidental and irrelevant. If anything prevents your originally booked flights from operating as scheduled, they may rebook you on an itinerary that goes nowhere near KL. At that point, if you really want to be in KL, you will have to buy a last-minute ticket at a much higher price than if you simply buy the ticket you want now.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
FWIW, this looks a lot like illegal cabotage, but I'm not familiar with Indonesia's laws on the matter.

Perhaps the long layover at KUL is what brings it into the realm of an "open-jaw flight to KL".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.