Am I being Scammed?

Old Jul 22, 19, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Am I being Scammed?

I recently posted in reddit about whether MCE is worth the upgrade for a 10 hr flight. I got this in response:

Hello! Saw your post asking about MCE for AA. I flew AA a lot last year and have their highest status and get free MCE for myself and companions - happy to move your seat gratis to the orange colored seats if youíd like. No funny business, just trying to be helpful since they charge a whole lot for this on international itineraries. I should be able to do it with just your name, fight number and date of travel if youíre interested. And totally understandable if not since Iím a random stranger, but itís a nice perk and Iím not going to requalify with them again (moving to delta) so trying to make the most of it before end of year.

Is this possibly legit, or too good to be true?
Old Jul 22, 19, 12:52 pm

If you have to ask yourself if something is too good to be true, then it likely is.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 19, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by mxzebrax View Post

Is this possibly legit?
I would say yes, it is possibly legit.

There are helpful, kind people in the world.

Edited to add: If the person is a malefactor, then it seems that possibly he could cancel or change your flight - just to be mean. Such people, too, exist in the world. It is probably best to not take a risk on this.

Last edited by muji; Jul 22, 19 at 2:48 pm
Old Jul 22, 19, 2:47 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by mxzebrax View Post
I recently posted in reddit about whether MCE is worth the upgrade for a 10 hr flight. I got this in response:

Hello! Saw your post asking about MCE for AA. I flew AA a lot last year and have their highest status and get free MCE for myself and companions - happy to move your seat gratis to the orange colored seats if youíd like. No funny business, just trying to be helpful since they charge a whole lot for this on international itineraries. I should be able to do it with just your name, fight number and date of travel if youíre interested. And totally understandable if not since Iím a random stranger, but itís a nice perk and Iím not going to requalify with them again (moving to delta) so trying to make the most of it before end of year.

Is this possibly legit, or too good to be true?
The Platinum level Elite statuses get free MCE for themselves and up to 8 companions but they have to be traveling on the same reservation. I doubt that a phone agent would grant such a request for someone not traveling on the same reservation or even the same flight as the elite member. Either it's an attempt to get your details for some other purpose or this person doesn't know how things work.
Old Jul 22, 19, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
I initially misread the OP

I thought this was a flyer talker who would offer the benefit and so I was going to say check their posting history etc. but reddit?
No way!
84fiero likes this.
Old Jul 22, 19, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is discussed in detail in OP's other thread on the same topic. Hopefully they will be merged soon enough.
Old Jul 23, 19, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Thread closed because it's double posted. Please follow the discussion here.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk

Search this Thread