Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MUC-YVR-SFO "visa" and immigration requirements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019 | 1:49 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
MUC-YVR-SFO "visa" and immigration requirements

My wife and have this travel coming up, only about a 3 hour layover in YVR, was able to find this in Lufthansa First well in advance so jumped on it versus only getting to the East coast.

I assume just like if transiting in US from a foreign country we'd have to go through immigration to enter Canada and then maybe can preclear in YVR to US? Or since transitioning is pre clearance not an option, that we will have to go through immigration in SFO? Will we have to collect checked bags and go through Canadian immigration with them(and US pre clearance if available)? We are on Lufthansa then Air Canada which I assume doesn't matter.

I was reading today about New Zealand requiring ETA's before a trip-in a sense an electronic visa. I recall now that there was something in the window of my booking details with Lufthansa about an ETA requirement but couldn't get the link to work to get further information. Is this some that we, US Citizens traveling from Germany, be required to do to enter Canada? Anything else I should know about with this routing? Obviously its a relatively short layover in Canada and if things go wrong and we miss our connection I assume we'd be spending the night in Vancouver.
Old Mar 24, 2019 | 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

I have recently seen the same question in another forum.
May have been in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cana...?daysprune=100
Or Air Canada forum

Edit
From last year-->Europe - YVR - US - Claim bags at YVR and take a different flight to US?

YVR airport web site http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/navi...ssenger-guides

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 24, 2019 at 2:14 pm
Old Mar 24, 2019 | 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I assume just like if transiting in US from a foreign country we'd have to go through immigration to enter Canada and then maybe can preclear in YVR to US? Or since transitioning is pre clearance not an option, that we will have to go through immigration in SFO? Will we have to collect checked bags and go through Canadian immigration with them(and US pre clearance if available)? We are on Lufthansa then Air Canada which I assume doesn't matter.
YVR is a U.S. preclearance POE. So you will go through U.S. immigration and customs in Canada (YVR). No Canadian formality is required. Your baggage need not to be collected. If an inspection is required, the U.S. CBP will pull the bags. You will arrive in SFO as a domestic flight without any further inspection.

But you still need to have a transit visa or eTA from Canada.
Old Mar 24, 2019 | 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by garykung
YVR is a U.S. preclearance POE. So you will go through U.S. immigration and customs in Canada (YVR). No Canadian formality is required. Your baggage need not to be collected. If an inspection is required, the U.S. CBP will pull the bags. You will arrive in SFO as a domestic flight without any further inspection.

But you still need to have a transit visa or eTA from Canada.
The OP said that they are US citizens. So they shouldn't need any visa to transit through Canada, right?
Old Mar 24, 2019 | 8:17 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sooge_sj
The OP said that they are US citizens. So they shouldn't need any visa to transit through Canada, right?
That certainly is my assumption but I'm not entirely sure these days. Traveling to and from Canada to US certainly has required nothing special, at least last June.

The link above for YVR, thanks for that, also doesn't indicate this, but it may only being focused on navigating the airport, not paperwork requirements.
I noticed the link for eTA on the Lufthansa website, maybe there for German citizens transiting and arriving in Canada.
Old Mar 25, 2019 | 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by sooge_sj
U.S. citizens are generally "exempted" from transit visa unless in special circumstances. But again - OP knows their own situation well. It is a question that should defer back to OP.
Old Mar 27, 2019 | 12:46 am

U.S. citizens are generally "exempted" from transit visa unless in special circumstances. But again - OP knows their own situation well. It is a question that should defer back to OP.
What special circumstances are those? I've never heard of US citizens requiring any kind of visa to enter Canada, much less transit.
Old Mar 28, 2019 | 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauq
What special circumstances are those? I've never heard of US citizens requiring any kind of visa to enter Canada, much less transit.
There are some circumstances that a U.S. citizen may need a visa in advance. For example, including, but not limited to:

1. When you are deemed inadmissible by Canada (i.e. you have a criminal record);

2. Your purposes of entering Canada requiring a visa in advance, such as migration, work (not covered by NAFTA or etc.), stay beyond 6 months, etc.

3. Last but not the least - you are not using either Canadian or U.S. Passport entering Canada (eTA is deemed as a visa for the purpose of this discussion).
Old Mar 28, 2019 | 10:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Rather than asking us, use IATA Timaticweb, which is what the airlines use to determine if passengers have sufficient documentation, visa etc. to allow them to fly. United has an online version: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC.
Old Mar 29, 2019 | 2:47 am

There are some circumstances that a U.S. citizen may need a visa in advance. For example, including, but not limited to:

1. When you are deemed inadmissible by Canada (i.e. you have a criminal record);

2. Your purposes of entering Canada requiring a visa in advance, such as migration, work (not covered by NAFTA or etc.), stay beyond 6 months, etc.

3. Last but not the least - you are not using either Canadian or U.S. Passport entering Canada (eTA is deemed as a visa for the purpose of this discussion).
I don't know about inadmissible people, but US citizens coming to Canada for work/study/immigration don't need a visa or eTA. They need a permit/PR acceptance letter so they can get their document and be allowed in but that's different from a visa.
Old Mar 29, 2019 | 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauq
They need a permit/PR acceptance letter so they can get their document and be allowed in but that's different from a visa.
1. The permit is on top of the visa. Each person with a permit is issued with a temporary resident visa (TRV).

2. Immigrant visa are issued for all PRs (at least outside Canada).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.