Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Europe - YVR - US - Claim bags at YVR and take a different flight to US?

Old Jul 24, 18, 10:45 am
Original Poster

My wife is flying back from Europe next week. Right now she's on a flight from Europe to YVR connecting to a flight to the US. It's an cheap J ticket, changing it would be expensive. What she'd like to do is buy a separate YVR - US ticket to a new destination and take that flight from YVR instead of her original.

Here's how I think that would work:
1) claim bags in YVR to clear Canadian customs
2) tear off bag tags for the original US destination
3) "discard" original last leg boarding pass
4) re-check bags using the new ticket to the new US destination
5) go thru US pre-clearance using new ticket and fly to new US destination

Questions I have:
1) Will she have to claim her checked bags in YVR to clear customs if they are checked thru? If she'll never have hands on her bags then the plan falls apart.
2) will the above flow work or will she need to completely exit airport with bags and check in as though she's starting her trip in YVR?
3) to avoid confusion / problems should the new ticket be on a separate airline (United instead of Air Canada, for instance)?
4) Anything else I'm missing here?

I do know the risks with a separate ticket if she mis-connects, the issues around potentially losing frequent flyer miles from the original ticket, etc and I'm OK with those. More trying to see if the logistics are manageable.

thanks,
Bob
Old Jul 24, 18, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

Exclamation

As this more a Canada and customs question than airline specific question it's been relocated o the FT Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:00 pm

A brief inspection at the YVR passenger guides for connecting from an international city to the US indicates that you don't necessarily have to pick up your bag at YVR -- depending on what airlines are in question, they say that "most passengers will have their luggage checked-through to their final destination, so you will not claim your checked-bags at YVR."

In other words, it seems pretty likely (it depends on the airlines in this plan) that your wife won't have access to her luggage in YVR, so it doesn't seem like this plan would work.
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrewesque View Post
A brief inspection at the YVR passenger guides for connecting from an international city to the US indicates that you don't necessarily have to pick up your bag at YVR -- depending on what airlines are in question, they say that "most passengers will have their luggage checked-through to their final destination, so you will not claim your checked-bags at YVR."

In other words, it seems pretty likely (it depends on the airlines in this plan) that your wife won't have access to her luggage in YVR, so it doesn't seem like this plan would work.
it looks like you are correct. I was looking at the "other airlines" guide, not the air canada version. Some airlines you do have to claim yours bags and go thru but air canada is (unfortunately in this case) not one of them.

Thanks for pointing out my error!
Bob

Search this Thread