Wiki Posts
Search

Flight between HNL-LAX-YVR checked luggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Flight between HNL-LAX-YVR checked luggage

Hello guys, I have a quick question regarding a flight I will take in a few weeks.

I'm travelling from HNL to YVR with a stopover in LAX with checked luggage, so my question is if I can check the bags all the way thru YVR in HNL or if I have to pick them up at LAX and recheck them again?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by milfweed20
Hello guys, I have a quick question regarding a flight I will take in a few weeks.

I'm travelling from HNL to YVR with a stopover in LAX with checked luggage, so my question is if I can check the bags all the way thru YVR in HNL or if I have to pick them up at LAX and recheck them again?
The question would be better answered if we knew which airline(s) and the connection time.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
You said you have a "stopover." I don't know if you used this term precisely or informally, but the difference between a stopover and a connection matters.

In a stopover, you leave LAX airport, spend time in the Los Angeles area (perhaps a few days), and return to board your flight to YVR. In that case, you will enter the U.S. like any other arriving passenger. You will have to collect your bags, clear customs, etc., etc. U.S. immigration doesn't care that you will fly to Canada a few days later.

In a connection, you go directly from one plane to the next. That's where the specific airlines matter, since you can make some connections at LAX without going landside but not others. I'll let people who are more familiar with LAX answer that question once you give us the necessary information.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
You said you have a "stopover." I don't know if you used this term precisely or informally, but the difference between a stopover and a connection matters.

In a stopover, you leave LAX airport, spend time in the Los Angeles area (perhaps a few days), and return to board your flight to YVR. In that case, you will enter the U.S. like any other arriving passenger. You will have to collect your bags, clear customs, etc., etc. U.S. immigration doesn't care that you will fly to Canada a few days later.

In a connection, you go directly from one plane to the next. That's where the specific airlines matter, since you can make some connections at LAX without going landside but not others. I'll let people who are more familiar with LAX answer that question once you give us the necessary information.
I'm assuming you misread HNL as HND or something else, but since this topic has come up more than once on FT -- with funny responses -- it's worth reassuring the OP that you do not need to clear US immigration and customs on a domestic flight between Honolulu and Los Angeles.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
The question would be better answered if we knew which airline(s) and the connection time.
I will be travelling from HNL-LAX and have a connection time of 3:30h before catching a flight to YVR.

Originally Posted by Efrem

You're right, I used the term incorrectly it is in fact a 3:30h connection.

Last edited by beckoa; Dec 21, 2018 at 10:03 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
If OP is on the same carrier with a 3:30h connection, there is no reason that the bags shouldn't get checked straight through to Vancouver.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transportprof
If OP is on the same carrier with a 3:30h connection, there is no reason that the bags shouldn't get checked straight through to Vancouver.
Yes, I will be flying United in F both flights.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I have done this trip many times over the past decade, connecting in either LAX or SFO. I have always had my bags checked through.
If you are on a red-eye departure from HNL, which by the sound of the connection length is likely, note that you can check your bags in way ahead of departure at HNL.
Last year, I had to leave a rented house at 10 a.m., got to the airport before 11 am, and checked my luggage in for a 10 pm departure to SFO. That made going to the art museum easy to do, followed by dinner in town, then a return to the airport.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I'm assuming you misread HNL as HND or something else, but since this topic has come up more than once on FT -- with funny responses -- it's worth reassuring the OP that you do not need to clear US immigration and customs on a domestic flight between Honolulu and Los Angeles.
Yes, I did. Of course HNL-LAX is a domestic flight. Sorry about that!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I will be travelling from HNL-LAX and have a connection time of 3:30h before catching a flight to YVR.

You're right, I used the term incorrectly it is in fact a 3:30h connection.
Given the flight details above, and since HNL is in Hawaii, which is one of the 50 United States, there would be no need to reclaim/recheck bags at LAX.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Given the flight details above, and since HNL is in Hawaii, which is one of the 50 United States, there would be no need to reclaim/recheck bags at LAX.
Thank you very much for the clarification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.