Wiki Posts
Search

Mac mini as Carry-On [YYZ -> MAN]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Mac mini as Carry-On [YYZ -> MAN]

Hey FTers,

I will be travelling next month to MAN to begin my graduate studies in the UK. I'm planning on bringing my desktop computer (complete with 2 monitors) with me as my baggage allowance on AC is fairly generous (2 checked bags plus 1 hiking backpack which I know will fit on the plane thanks to priority boarding as *Gold). My plan is to carry the less valuable items (i.e. monitors) in one of my carefully packed checked bags with the Mac mini being in my carry on as I can't afford to lose that item.

One question I do have is whether I will run into any issue going through Nexus security at YYZ? I'm aware that some airports and destinations require you to demonstrate the gadgets you are bringing are functional during screening which may be difficult if I don't have a monitor on hand. Should I be concerned in around a year when I'm flying back from the UK to YYZ with the desktop at LHR/MAN/EWR? Any thoughts?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[off topic]
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I'm planning on bringing my desktop computer (complete with 2 monitors)
As UK electrical supply is 230 V 50 Hz your Canada/USA 120V 60 Hz computer (power supply) & screens may not work. Plugs are different
You can buy (230V) screens in UK
Phones & laptops are usually OK with different power supply.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_....wikipedia.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_...ity_by_country
/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

240V into a 120V device can be catastrophic. If you plug in your items and they smoke that's indication of a problem.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
[off topic]

As UK electrical supply is 230 V 50 Hz your Canada/USA 120V 60 Hz computer (power supply) & screens may not work. Plugs are different

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_....wikipedia.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_...ity_by_country
/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

If you plug in your items and they smoke an indication of a problem
I've checked both monitor's power supplies and they both state that they are switching power supplies (i.e. can push 100-240 V). Similarly, looking at the technical specifications for my Mac mini from Apple, it would appear that it too has a switching power supply! It seems to me that all I will need is a plug adaptor which I bought (namely a power bar with US ends and a UK style plug to plug into the wall).

The only concern I have now is ensuring that I wouldn't get hassled by security because I'm bringing my desktop as a carry on.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
The only concern I have now is ensuring that I wouldn't get hassled by security because I'm bringing my desktop as a carry on.
If you have a MacBook (Pro/Air) and both computers have thunderbolt connectors you could, IIRC, boot the Mac Mini from your laptop, essentially making it a screen.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
[off topic]
Electronics that are only good for 100-120V or 220-240V aren't that common. Devices with high power figures (e.g. food blenders, white goods) are probably the only electric devices that don't necessarily support the whole range of voltage. The latest Mac Mini requires 85W (similar to a laptop power supply) and supports 100 to 240V /50-60 Hz.

Op should be able to order a couple of adaptors on Amazon UK a couple of days prior to arrival and have them delivered to an Amazon Locker so that they are ready to be picked up on arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.