Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Fly or Drive Stuttgart-Frankfurt to catch my flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

I am catching a 12 hour long Lufthansa flight in biz class at about 1030am on a Friday later this month. I am staying in a hotel very close to the Stuttgart airport.

Do I leave my hotel at 500-515am to catch a 625am flight from Stuttgart to Frankfurt?

Or, do I leave my hotel at 645am for a 2-hour drive to Frankfurt airport for a 1035am flight?

Any thoughts? Seems about even to me unless I"m missing some consideration.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Is the ICE train an option? The train to the airport is about 80 minutes and means no dealing with the car or potential traffic. You can also rest easy on the train instead.
JDiver and altabello like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As above take the train

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en...rman-rail.html
The long-distance train station at Frankfurt Airport

The long-distance train station links the airport with all of Germany and the rest of Europe.

The long-distance train station operated by German Rail (Deutsche Bahn) at Frankfurt Airport makes it simple to get there by train from anywhere in Germany or Europe. Information on schedules and fares is available on the website of German Rail.
https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de//bin/q...RAPORT-EN_LZ03

https://www.stuttgart-airport.com/getting-here/by-train
The Stuttgart Central Railway Station is part of the ICE, EC and IC network and located in the centre of the city. You can continue your journey to the airport from here with the municipal rail lines (S-Bahn) S2 or S3 (no changes necessary).
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 29, 2018 at 6:29 pm Reason: added quoted text & stuttgart
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The smartest answer is indeed to take the train.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
By all means take the train. Your two hour drive could easily take 4 hours because of traffic jams on the famed autobahn. I have missed several flights in FRA because of that.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Oh gosh.....I am such an American and was not even thinking about the train. Thank you!!!!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Oh gosh.....I am such an American and was not even thinking about the train. Thank you!!!!
Some of us thought that when we read post 1
In Eu trains are often far more practical than flying or driving.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Some of us thought that when we read post 1
HAHA. Touche!

When I get to the Stuttgart train station on the S Bahn, it says its a 13 minute walk to the ICE train! I have a 20 minute layover. I wonder if this is a enough time. I better know where I'm going!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If you get a chance do a dry run during your stay so you know at least generally where to go though it's Germany so the stations are rather easy to navigate and the trains run on time.

When I get to the Stuttgart train station on the S Bahn, it says its a 13 minute walk to the ICE train! I have a 20 minute layover. I wonder if this is a enough time. I better know where I'm going![/QUOTE]
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
If you get a chance do a dry run during your stay so you know at least generally where to go though it's Germany so the stations are rather easy to navigate and the trains run on time.

When I get to the Stuttgart train station on the S Bahn, it says its a 13 minute walk to the ICE train! I have a 20 minute layover. I wonder if this is a enough time. I better know where I'm going!
[/QUOTE]

I won't have time for a dry run but will try to get station maps and directions.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I won't have time for a dry run but will try to get station maps and directions.[/QUOTE]

Or just take an earlier S Bahn @:-)
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
HAHA. Touche!

Link to hauptbahnhoff Stuttgart map PDF

Link to hauptbahnhoff Stuttgart web page

Link to fernbahnhoff Frankfurt am Main flughafen web page with link to PDF

Frankfurt an Main flughafen map with fernbahnhoff:
Attached Images  
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: DL
From STR and parents still live there. When they fly from/to FRA, they have an option to make the train ride part of the air ticket, meaning they can check their luggage at the train station and pick it up there as well, no need to transfer their luggage from train to plane and back.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by altabello
From STR and parents still live there. When they fly from/to FRA, they have an option to make the train ride part of the air ticket, meaning they can check their luggage at the train station and pick it up there as well, no need to transfer their luggage from train to plane and back.
That feature depends on the airline - LH for sure offers it, not sure about others.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by drminn
That feature depends on the airline - LH for sure offers it, not sure about others.
Fortunately, OP is flying LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.