Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

BOM-NYC July 31st with Virgin Atlantic - 23 hr layover!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Hello All,

As the title suggests I am flying BOM-NYC via London Heathrow on the 31st July but with 23 hr layover baked in. I am an Indian Passport holder with a valid US visa and onward/return tickets and also hold a Canadian PR. With all my documents in place, can it said be certainty that I'll be allowed to leave the airport to do some sightseeing?

Also, any suggestions for a hotel around $100 that I could sleep yet be close to the major attractions in the city?

Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If your BOM-LHR flight on 9W (Jet Airways)? What's the exact itinerary? Booked via?

This could be wrong but from what I put into TravelDoc it says you do not qualify for entry into the UK. This is something you should verify either way with the airline and/or the consulate.

Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by constant_traveller
Hello All,

As the title suggests I am flying BOM-NYC via London Heathrow on the 31st July but with 23 hr layover baked in. I am an Indian Passport holder with a valid US visa and onward/return tickets and also hold a Canadian PR. With all my documents in place, can it said be certainty that I'll be allowed to leave the airport to do some sightseeing?

Also, any suggestions for a hotel around $100 that I could sleep yet be close to the major attractions in the city?

Thanks!
Edit: I misread Timatic, looks like you'll have to remain airside.

Passengers holding confirmed onward tickets making an airside transit at London Gatwick (LGW), London Heathrow (LHR) or Manchester (MAN) on the same calendar day to a third country (excluding Ireland (Rep.)).

Passengers may make an airside transit if holding a valid Permanent Resident Card issued by Canada, on or after 28 June 2002.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
That says airside, the OP wants to visit London, for same day travel and depending on the itinerary the OP may be traveling on different dates.

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Timatic says you should be in good shape
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
That says airside, the OP wants to visit London, for same day travel and depending on the itinerary the OP may be traveling on different dates.
You're absolutely right. I've edited for clarity, my initial reading was wrong.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Hi Guys - Just adding my flight details, reaching london from Mumbai via Jet Airways (VA codeshare) on 31st July 3PM and then departing the next day via Virgin Atlantic flight at 2 PM (August 1st). My objective is to be able to leave the airport for sightseeing in London.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I suspect you'll need a UK visa for this to work.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by constant_traveller
Hi Guys - Just adding my flight details, reaching london from Mumbai via Jet Airways (VA codeshare) on 31st July 3PM and then departing the next day via Virgin Atlantic flight at 2 PM (August 1st). My objective is to be able to leave the airport for sightseeing in London.
You need a visa. I'd skip London.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Just wanted to circle back to this thread and provide an update for flyers in similar position as I was. I was able to get out of the London airport and visit my cousins. The border agent just saw my valid US visa and ticket and stamped me away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.