Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Newbie Q: Flew Cathay Pacific, which partner is best to credit miles to? CP/AA/Alaska

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Q: Flew Cathay Pacific, which partner is best to credit miles to? CP/AA/Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, United, Spirit, Frontier

Very newbie question, but we all have to start somewhere.

We recently flew JFK-HKG-SIN, SIN-HKG-JFK. Flight was a Cathay Pacific (CX) operated flight. We flew Economy code: Q.
Which airline should I attribute the miles for the flight to?

We're mostly just leisure travelers; live in Philadelphia, so AA is a lot of our flights, although for international I'll go to whatever is best/cheapest. AA is also where we have most of our points, although I have spread out to other airlines as well. I have nothing in Alaskan, but have been reading about the benefits of that program. I also have nothing in CP, and am unlikely to fly them again any time soon.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Welcome to FT, to be clear, these miles haven't been credited to any program already correct?

https://www.wheretocredit.com/cathay-pacific-airways/q

You won't get any AA miles for this fare code so of those options you have CX & AS programs at 25% of the miles flown as credit. Having orphan miles, miles in a program you're not likely going to be able to accumulate much in, isn't an ideal situation. While AY offers the highest miles there are few ways to add miles to AY's program via spending from here in the US
Things to consider: Do you have any current credit cards that transfer into either program? Are you interested in acquiring one?. That should direct your decision as AA is out of the game.
k.alexander likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you! And yes, correct, miles haven't been credited anywhere. I thought AA was out. F/up question though, my wife (the other traveler on this trip/miles) currently has one of AA CCs. With that, can we still not credit the miles to AA? Reading WhereToCredit, what does 25% vs. 50% vs. etc. mean?

Our CCs currently are Chase Reserve. I could see picking up say an AS card or something similar so that whatever points I put there aren't orphaned.

Last Q. Any benefit to parking the miles with Cathay Pacific? As I said, we prob won't fly them any time soon, I thought I would get more points with them but according to the calculator that's not the case.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The AA credit card, if used to purchase the ticket, you will get 2x the dollar value in miles deposited in the according AA miles account but nothing from the miles flown.

Different programs credit different amounts for partner flights based on the fare codes. in this instance AA would credit 0 x Miles Flown. AS & CX programs would credit 0.25 x miles flown. The tiers across the top of the chart on WTC are elite status tiers which carry a bonus for travel.

The AS card is one way to build mileage balances but there are others cards. Look at the stickies of the different forums.

Parking with CX can work if you have a credit card program that transfers to it such as Amex MR points but watch for expiry dates.
k.alexander likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Yoshi212: Can't thank you enough. It's been a while since I was a noob at anything online, but this indeed is a new area for me, so appreciate the detailed explanation.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:00 pm

Not a problem. Nothing wrong with asking some questions and getting some guidance. Lots of into out there and it can easily get confusing.
k.alexander likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

k.alexander Welcome to FT
Cathay CX is well know for not awarding ff miles on many low cost fares

Note with some airline ffp's you must be a signed up member at the date of the flight
From https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/ret...thout-account/
Alaska Airlines
To credit Alaska Airlines flights, travelers must have been a Mileage Plan member within 6 months of the travel date. To credit partner airline flights, travelers must have been a Mileage Plan member at time of travel.
Asia Miles CX From https://www.asiamiles.com/en/support...entre/faq.html
2. Can I receive Asia Miles for flights completed prior to my enrolment with Asia Miles?

Yes, you can receive Asia Miles for eligible flights completed no more than 30 days prior to the date of your enrolment with Asia Miles.
k.alexander likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.