Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to fly YYZ to LON on points

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Best way to fly YYZ to LON on points

I'm new to the forum and using points transfers to get maximum benefit. My fiance and I are going to travel to London in August/September following with a flight to Frankfurt and then Frankfurt back to Toronto. I currently have the below points available for booking flights and I would like to fly business class ideally .

RBC Rewards Points - 650,000
SPG Points - 60,000 (just opened)
Aeroplan - 15,000

I have done some looking and thought maybe Cathay Pacific would be a good choice to transfer points to but I really don't know what's going to be the best option for me. I'm hoping someone with experience with these programs could give me some tips.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
To what FFPs can RBC Rewards points transfer?

If you end up with an award through an FFP that does not include the LON-FRA segment at no extra cost, I would probably transfer some points to BA, and then redeem for a "Reward Flight Saver" award for that segment. And I would not bother with Business Class on that short flight: BA's short-haul Business Class is pretty dire, with the same measly 30" seat pitch as in Coach.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Remember to check for, and if possible hold, award space before transferring. Travel on award tickets generally opens ~330 days before travel and you're wanting to travel within 3 months, during peak time to a very popular destination. Doesn't mean it isn't possible but be sure to have realistic expectations.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
From what I looked at the RBC website, it clearly says that you purchase your ticket, pay with your RBC credit card and once charges hit your account, you contact RBC to redeem your points to pay for it. You have about 6500 value in your points, not sure if its CAD or USD. Personally, I will look at travel YYZ-LHR and FRA-YYZ, the LHR-FRA in business is a waste since most intra-Europe business seats are same as economy seats but the middle seat is blocked, besides, its about 1.5hr flight. Not knowing the dates you are planning to travel, I see that WOW Air could be a very economical alternative for your flights, just book their PREMIUM service.
Regarding the LHR-FRA service, it will either be Lufthansa or British Air, and economy prices are around $100, with Business price from $300 or more per ticket. However, if you are checking luggage, keep in mind that most economy ticket do not provide luggage allowance, therefore you might want to price out the alternative of adding luggage cost, or getting a more flexible economy tickets that provides luggage, or compare the cost of Business ticket. Good luck.

SPG points might help out more in lodging, Aeroplan, you don't have much.

Last edited by arollins; May 22, 2018 at 10:21 am Reason: additional info
Old May 22, 2018, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
To what FFPs can RBC Rewards points transfer?

If you end up with an award through an FFP that does not include the LON-FRA segment at no extra cost, I would probably transfer some points to BA, and then redeem for a "Reward Flight Saver" award for that segment. And I would not bother with Business Class on that short flight: BA's short-haul Business Class is pretty dire, with the same measly 30" seat pitch as in Coach.
Thanks for the heads up, it looks like for the LON-FRA I can do csthay Pacific. RBC transfers 1:1 to Avios, Asia Miles and AAdvantage. Checking Cathay last night it doesn't offer a flight from FRA-YYZ with any partners based on their online tool.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CPR85
Thanks for the heads up, it looks like for the LON-FRA I can do csthay Pacific. RBC transfers 1:1 to Avios, Asia Miles and AAdvantage. Checking Cathay last night it doesn't offer a flight from FRA-YYZ with any partners based on their online tool.
I'm curious why you would transfer to Asia Miles when you may as well transfer to Avios. Between YYZ and LHR you'd be flying BA metal anyway. There is no OW airline flying directly between FRA and YYZ. You'd need to backtrack via LHR or go on AA through the US (if that isn't too much hassle).
Old May 22, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If transferring to Avios be sure to compare the taxes & fees on a redemption ticket to the purchase of a revenue ticket that would then be paid for by redeeming points.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:24 pm
Suspended

But BA metal will always incur the higher YQ and fees.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the OP is willing to connect for YYZ-LON and for FRA-YYZ, I would look to see if any of the handful of Aeroplan's non-surcharge partners has the desired award space.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm curious why you would transfer to Asia Miles when you may as well transfer to Avios. Between YYZ and LHR you'd be flying BA metal anyway. There is no OW airline flying directly between FRA and YYZ. You'd need to backtrack via LHR or go on AA through the US (if that isn't too much hassle).
The only reason was that some of the information I read said the fees for Avios were quite expensive for BA flights.

I definitely don't mind flying into the us and a quick flight to Toronto, I'm guessing I have to plan each leg for that flight it won't show stops automatically?
Old May 22, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Are there any partners that I could book Lufthansa from FRA to YYZ? It looks like there's a direct flight from them.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:16 pm

aeroplan but those 15k points won't be nearly enough. Does RBC points transfer to any Star Alliance partners?

Are there any partners that I could book Lufthansa from FRA to YYZ? It looks like there's a direct flight from them.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:22 pm
Suspended

The only reason was that some of the information I read said the fees for Avios were quite expensive for BA flights.

I definitely don't mind flying into the us and a quick flight to Toronto, I'm guessing I have to plan each leg for that flight it won't show stops automatically?
If you are on a BA flight, youll pay higher surcharges, regardless of the programme you book through.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite

If you are on a BA flight, youll pay higher surcharges, regardless of the programme you book through.
Well, maybe not if you redeem for BA through LAN Pass, but that might not be an option for the OP.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ds-heres-save/

But redeeming BA Avios for BA short-haul flights (like LHR-FRA) as an RFS can be a much better deal than redeeming other program's miles for such flights.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:45 pm

I would start by looking at AA availability connecting through NY, or ORD. If you can find availability then transferring to AAdvantage is probably the best use of the points. Redemption rates and surcharges on AA are pretty decent. If no availability the. I would look at Avios availability, surcharges will be high as they generally route through LHR, but if your going to fly J, then it can still be worth it. I travel almost exclusively on RBc points and found decent ways to get to LON a few times last year. If your willing to go Hand baggage only or do another hop look at flying to AMS or DUB to reduce the surcharges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.