First Post: Advice for redemption on ~400k SPG/AMEX/AA/UA points & miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Post: Advice for redemption on ~400k SPG/AMEX/AA/UA points & miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb First Post: Advice for redemption on ~400k SPG/AMEX/AA/UA points & miles

Please redirect if I am posting at the wrong place. Thanks!

SPG ~250k
AMEX ~20k
UR ~ 90k
AA ~119k
UA ~85k

I have been reading around a lot and kinda conflicted that I have not been really maximizing my earnings.

Anyway, above are my current points and curious to find out what is the best value redemption for now or the year of 2018.

Thank you!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by HappyDoggo
Please redirect if I am posting at the wrong place. Thanks!

SPG ~250k
AMEX ~20k
UR ~ 90k
AA ~119k
UA ~85k

I have been reading around a lot and kinda conflicted that I have not been really maximizing my earnings.

Anyway, above are my current points and curious to find out what is the best value redemption for now or the year of 2018.

Thank you!
Welcome to FlyerTalk, HappyDoggo.

Your question should probably go in the Information Desk forum, which is where newbies such as yourself can ask these types of questions and not get snarky responses, so I have alerted a mod to move it there.

But in terms of best value redemption, the best value means many different things to different people. Best value is always when you go to a place you actually want to go to. You need to give us a bit more info such as what you like to do/see, what type of vacation are you looking for (beach? European city? Safari? Mountain climbing? Visiting Grandma in Boise?). Where are you starting from, the US? Siberia? Japan? And what sorts of things have you looked into and found yourself?

We don't know you so it is impossible to suggest something without a bit more to go on and it would help to know what you have found yourself so far so we can give you advice on how to improve on it. We are here to help but we aren't travel agents or vacation planners, just a bunch of people who have learned how to do this stuff. Good luck!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:32 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, HappyDoggo
I am moving this over to the Information Desk
Please follow the redirect arrow which will take you there.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Where do you want to go. There are a lot of different things you could do with that combination of points but some guideposts on what you are looking for could help narrow it down.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Welcome to FT!

Like the useful posts posted so far, my first piece of advice is to tell us more about your preferences. In addition to the info they've asked for:

1. Is it just you traveling or will it be two (or more) of you?
2. Would you be content to travel domestically? Within North America, to Mexico, Canada or Central America? Or are you looking to travel to some more distant locale?
3. Are you content with economy air travel or would you like business or first class seats?

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are looking to burn points/miles for business or first class air travel (and bear in mind that in addition to getting you access to some great hotels, your SPG points can be converted to airline miles), the further in advance you search the better your chances of getting the flights you want. For more airlines, the windows of award openings start 330 days in advance of travel. On the other hand, if economy is fine and you'd be content to use your SPG, UR and Amex points for hotels, planning less far in advance is usually ok.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Welcome to FlyerTalk, HappyDoggo.

Your question should probably go in the Information Desk forum, which is where newbies such as yourself can ask these types of questions and not get snarky responses, so I have alerted a mod to move it there.

But in terms of best value redemption, the best value means many different things to different people. Best value is always when you go to a place you actually want to go to. You need to give us a bit more info such as what you like to do/see, what type of vacation are you looking for (beach? European city? Safari? Mountain climbing? Visiting Grandma in Boise?). Where are you starting from, the US? Siberia? Japan? And what sorts of things have you looked into and found yourself?

We don't know you so it is impossible to suggest something without a bit more to go on and it would help to know what you have found yourself so far so we can give you advice on how to improve on it. We are here to help but we aren't travel agents or vacation planners, just a bunch of people who have learned how to do this stuff. Good luck!
1. Thanks for alerting the mod to move to the right section!
2. In terms of a place that I actually want to go, I don't really have one. I am interested to see what options are out there and I am always fascinated by places that I hear people going to that aren't mainstream. I haven't been to Europe and kinda interested in going to Iceland.
3. In terms of what I like to do/see and type of vacation, I am not trying to be vague but really, I have no preference.
4. I am starting from US. I have traveled to most of the major cities in the US like NY, DC, San Fran, Miami, Seattle, New Orleans, Chicago etc. and most of the national parks like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Glacier, Olympic, Niagara Falls etc. They were all fun. So I don't identify myself as a city/nature traveler or any specific category.
5. Last point, thank you for pointing that out and I really appreciate it. I guess to sum it up, I am hoping to get some feedback on less well known interesting places. Or really good redemption options that are less known. My latest research that I found is I am probably going to get the 7 nights + miles from Marriott as that is really good value. Also Hyatt's Miraval Resort at Arizona seems to be pretty good value for free night awards too.

PS. Feel free to ask me more questions to help provide a better recommendation!

Originally Posted by Duke787
Where do you want to go. There are a lot of different things you could do with that combination of points but some guideposts on what you are looking for could help narrow it down.
I don't know where I want to go... I kinda explained to @Finkface Mostly looking for new experiences.

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Welcome to Flyertalk, HappyDoggo
I am moving this over to the Information Desk
Please follow the redirect arrow which will take you there.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Thank you obscure2k!

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Welcome to FT!

Like the useful posts posted so far, my first piece of advice is to tell us more about your preferences. In addition to the info they've asked for:

1. Is it just you traveling or will it be two (or more) of you?
2. Would you be content to travel domestically? Within North America, to Mexico, Canada or Central America? Or are you looking to travel to some more distant locale?
3. Are you content with economy air travel or would you like business or first class seats?

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are looking to burn points/miles for business or first class air travel (and bear in mind that in addition to getting you access to some great hotels, your SPG points can be converted to airline miles), the further in advance you search the better your chances of getting the flights you want. For more airlines, the windows of award openings start 330 days in advance of travel. On the other hand, if economy is fine and you'd be content to use your SPG, UR and Amex points for hotels, planning less far in advance is usually ok.
1. Most probably just me. I am kinda dating a person but not official in a relationship yet. So let's plan for just myself. I can always just invite my friend along if needed.
2. I am content with either!
3. From researching, I feel like first class is too expensive and not worth it for a middle class citizen like myself. I would blew all my points at one go that I had collected for years. Business class if its really cheap and worth it otherwise economy is totally fine with me.
4. To further respond to your post, I am leaning towards conserving points for more travels and don't mind splurging a little here and there for better experience. For example, if it only takes extra 10k points for business class for certain routes, then why not? If it only takes extra 10k points to stay at full service 5 star hotel, then why not?

Hope this clarifies things. Thank you Thunderroad!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the late response. Somehow, my post needs to be approved by a moderator.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:17 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Welcome to FT.

There are "sweet spots" in all reward programs. Great hotels at a bargain price (the SPG in Angor Wat, Cambodia comes to mind), the BA short haul award prices, Southwest sales, etc.
You don't say where you are are based, which might make a difference. When you begin extreme traveling, there's usually plenty of places on the list of places you'd like to see. I see it like this: You have 2 choices: Narrow down where you want to go and find the best deal to get there, or, pick the best bargain that suits you and go there.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:27 am
Community Director Emerita

You have a nice stash of points, especially given that you are planning travel for one. The possibilities are limitless. That's why those of us who are responding are struggling with knowing how to advise you. I'd start reading the boards and see what interests you. Macchu Picchu? Cape Town? Bali? I keep a running list on my computer of places that appeal.

Some tips for you:
  1. You have UA and UR points. UR points can be moved to UA should you find availability on Star partners for your destination.
  2. UR points can be moved to Korean Airlines. It has excellent award availabiltiy within Asia. You are allowed a stopover in Korea enroute to your ultimate destination. Only move once you have award space secured.
  3. Starwood points are very versatile, whether for hotels or moving to airlines. Don't move Starwood to United. It has a terrible transfer ratio that goes back to the days when United declared bankruptcy.
  4. Marriott travel packages are great value. But is there somewhere you'd like to stay for 7 nights?
  5. If you want to fly business or first, book 330 days in advance when award seats open. They often disappear within 2 or 3 days. You can book one way awards so can grab each direction when it opens.

Welcome to FlyerTalk and have fun planning.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 11, 2017 at 12:14 pm Reason: typos - ugh
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Great advice from both of the San Diegans (is that what you call someone from San Diego?) above.

I'd add that, in terms of a relatively inexpensive regions to travel where your hotel points (and dollars) can stretch the most, Southeast Asia is great. As StartinSanDiego mentioned, the Starwood property (Le Meridien?) in Siem Reap, Cambodia, which is where the Angkor Wat and other ancient temples are located, is one example of this. Also in SE Asia, Malaysia has the advantage of also being relatively inexpensive but a place where English is widely spoken. The Starwood Andaman property on Langkawi island there is really special. But you'd have to be up for the adventure and challenges of going to an exotic locale and the greater travel times/miles to get there.

If Europe might be more your speed, one pleasant, diverse and relatively less expensive country there is Portugal.

In addition to noodling around Flyertalk, Tripadvisor.com is a good place to get hotel reviews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.